The Immeasureable Distance

five

“Freddy!” I hollered, cupping my hands around my mouth. “Kadin!! Where have you gone?” I tripped over a tree root and went tumbling oN the forest ground. I swore slightly before standing up and hefting the horrible heavy bag on my shoulder. A few hours ago, Freddy had somehow, somehow managed to walk off. I sent Kadin after him, only to be left alone in a very large forest, incredibly lacking in direction skills.

“S-S-Sir!” A voice erupted from the right of me, and I smirked. Probably about to get himself eaten by Kadin, I thought to myself as I started to run toward his voice. I emerged from the forest and landed in a small clearing with tents and fires ablaze.

“Freddy?” I asked, staring at the incredibly short looking man I called my friend that was standing in a group of not very kind looking men.

Freddy looked at me with tear filled eyes and shaking knees. “H-H-Hi.” I sighed and ran my hand through my hair. I walked toward him, pushed a few shocked men out of my way, and then whacked the baboon on the backside of his head.

“You fool!” I scolded. He fell to his knees and latched himself onto my leg.

“They want to eat me.” He squeaked. “They want to skin me and then roast me. And then eat me!”

“Good lord...” I murmured, shaking him off. I turned to the crowd of men. “Do you want to eat him?”

There was a chorus of “No, not really.”s and “Nah, far too scrawny.”s. I turned back to my servant and gave him a see?! expression. He cleared his throat and got up, brushing the strands of grass from his knees. I gave him a good whack on his head again and he gave me a unsightly face. “What was that for?” He grumbled childishly.

“That's for being stupid!” I snapped. I dragged him with me in search for Kadin, when suddenly a burly man was standing in front of me.

“Stop.” He ordered in a deep voice, staring me down with black eyes.

“Well, I'm forced too. You're kind of in front of me.” I pointed out. There were no laughs.

“Leave your bags and you will live.” I filled my cheeks with air, then let them out. It was a bad habit of mine whenever faced with danger.

“Is there perhaps a I leave with my bags and my life and you all kinda back off option?” I asked, raising my eyebrows. Once again, the man did not look amused at my (what I thought) hilarious antics.

“No. Drop them. Now.” He reached over to his left hip and pulled out a deliciously gleaming curved dagger.

“You could carve ham with that!” I exclaimed smiling.

“Sir.” Freddy hissed from behind me. “Please stop before they carve us.”

“Oh shush, Freddy. I've got my own sword.” I smirked and pulled out my cinquedea, long dagger. I looked at it for a few seconds before laughing at myself. “Oh I'm sorry! Wrong weapon. One moment.” I returned the dagger to it's sheath, and the reached around to my other waist to pull out my beloved espada ropera. A much lighter, deadlier and lethal double sided narrow tip blade.

I took a step back, handed my bag to a very frightened Freddy and took battle stance. The burly man though did not come at me like I thought I would. “What are you waiting for?” I asked him returned to a more natural pose.

“Are you sure?” He asked.

“Well no, that's why I got my sword out and everything!” I exclaimed, throwing my hands up in the air.

That’s when he came charging at me like a bull, pulling his arm back to get ready for the strike. Though I was not the best swordsman, I managed to deflect the jarring blow. I stumbled a bit but got right back up again. My little fall received some laughter from the surrounding crowd. It suddenly ceased though when the ground started to shake and the trees were starting to tremble as if in fear. There was murmuring, and there was nervous laughter.

But I smiled. “Kadin?” I asked loudly. Freddy whimpered.

“Oliver!” The familiar voice grumbled. Form the trees popped out a horse sized Kadin. As he trotted over to me, shocked bandits moved aside to form an aisle. He grew as he traveled, and soon he was his regular side. “What are we having for dinner tonight?” Kadin asked, licking his chops. “I'm in the mood for meat.” He let out a puff of smoke mischievously, and soon all the men were running away screaming, their weapons clattering soundlessly onto the grass. I burst out laughed and looped and arm around Kadin.

“Oh, that was priceless, was it not?” I asked him.

“I'll put a price on that!” Freddy shrieked. “My life was on the line, Sir Jokes A Lot!”

“Ah calm down, Freddy!” I picked up my satchel and swung an arm over his soldiers. “This is the beginning of our adventure! The beginning of our adult lives, Freddy! Laugh a little, love a little, that's what they say isn't it?”

“No, in fact, they don't. They say stay on the cautious side and don't get killed!” He argued.

“Oh, then what fun is that?” I patted his shoulder twice and gave him my most dashing smile. “Let's travel the world, eh, my brother?”

“B-Brother?” He stuttered.

“Yes!”

A smile bloomed on his face. “Alright then...Brother!” His smile dropped though. “One condition.” He said, holding up a finger.

“What is it now, mortal?” Kadin whined.

Pointing to Kadin, Freddy answered, “He can't eat me.”

“We'll see.” I joked. And once again, unhindered by the real world and it's danger, we were off once again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Teehee, a bit of a filler chapter, but I do hope that you'll enjoyed! It shows a bit more about the characters ^_^

-Penny