Status: Active

We Own The Night

chapter three.

All I could think of was how time seemed frozen around me. My heart shuddered against my chest as we stood there, hands gripping each other’s tightly, eyes locked. I wasn’t even sure how long we stood there; it could’ve been a second, or ten minutes for all I knew. I had to crane my neck to look up at him, shocked at how big the height difference really seemed as we stood there now. But what struck me most was the guarded, hidden look that stayed in his eyes. It wasn’t something I’d ever really noticed when it came to famous people, but then again, I hadn’t precisely looked for it. Out of everything I’d seen and heard about All Time Low, they didn’t seem like the overly private type. But just like that, the look was gone as Erika cleared her throat, in a tone I knew and recognized all too well as frustrated and pissed off. I dropped his hand, my arm dropping to my side as I bit my lip. I could feel my cheeks heating up slightly, and I turned my face to the side, using my hair to cover my face. It was a tactic I’d practiced for years, though normally I didn’t have a hat on to obstruct the movement. After I felt my face had calmed enough, I took a deep breath and looked up, pushing my sidebangs back out of my eyes. In the corner of my vision, all I could see was Myles’ prominent smirk, eyes saying the words he really didn’t need to. I scrunched up my nose at him, tuning the sounds of Erika’s babbling out. I turning back to Alex, forcing myself not to make a face when I saw Erika hanging all over him. Instead, I forced a grim, small smile, adjusting the side of my shirt as it fell down my shoulder.

“So where are Jack, Rian and Zack?” I asked, desperate to change the subject and distract myself from Erika and Alex in front of me. Standing on my tiptoes, I tried to peer over Alex’s shoulder, hoping to find some sort of escape.

“Right here!” The voice sounded in my ear, and I gave a small shriek of surprise. I whirled around, only to find myself nose to nose with Jack. My eyes widened, but more out of the fact he’d nearly given me a heart attack. I gave him a gentle punch in the arm and stuck my tongue out.

“You’re mean! You nearly gave me a heart attack!” I exclaimed jokingly, taking a step back as I faked a hurt and terrified expression. Jack pouted at me, like a small child wanting something from their parents. I could only hold the more serious expression for a minute, before I cracked up in laughter. After a couple of moments, I straightened myself and grinned at him, noticing Rian and Zack standing awkwardly behind him.

“I’m Jess.” I told them, continuing to grin. I heard Erika clear her throat once again. I rolled my eyes, but I was in too much of a good mood to get annoyed. “This is Erika, too.” I nodded my chin towards her, and she grinned, flipping her light hair over her shoulder in a flirtatious way. I snorted, slightly.

“So, what are we up to?” I asked, shifting so that we all stood in a circle now. My eyes trailed over the boys’ faces, and I couldn’t help but notice that Alex watched my every move. He gave a small shrug.

“Tour bus? We hadn’t really planned anything.” Zack said, with a sheepish smile. Alex’s expression mirrored his, and I chuckled.
“I’m down for that!” Erika squealed, pushing herself close against Alex. Then my eyes lit up, and I grinned.

“What about the beach? I mean, come on! We’re in Florida!” I exclaimed, and I saw all their expressions light up.

“Fuck yeah!” Jack exclaimed, now bouncing on the balls of his feet.

“Hell yes!” Zack added, smiling huge. Alex said nothing, only had a mischievous twinkle in his eyes. Rian smiled gently.

“Well, it’s true we haven’t been in ages… And we did promise to hang out with you guys…” I grinned, successful.

“Shit,” Alex said, hesitating. “Rides?” I wrinkled my nose; I hadn’t thought of that.

“I’ll take Erika and Myles, and we can go get ready, while you guys get your stuff from your bus or whatever?” I asked, playing with the tip of my hair absentmindedly. My eyes flickered between them, as they looked up in consideration.

“I’m not going,” Myles interceded, nodding his head. “I only brought you here to meet them. I’ve gotta work in..” He pulled out his phone, glancing at the time, “two hours.” I frowned at him. But in reply, he just shrugged his shoulders and gestured for us to carry on.

“Why don’t we meet you at your place after we’re ready?” Jack asked, looking at me. I nodded.

“I know how to get there… But are we gonna take one car or two?”

“One. We’ve got our van, that’ll fit the six of us. Gimme your cell, Jess.” Alex reached his palm out towards me, and I tugged my blackberry out of my pocket, going to the contact screen. Handing it to him, I watched him quietly enter his number, before he handed it back. Ignoring the scowl Erika gave me, tugged my keys out of my pocket and motioned towards my car.

“Text you my address, Alex… See you soon!”
* * *

Sitting on the doorstep of my house was one of the most anxious moments of my life. My leg bounced up and down, jittery, and Delaney sat down beside me and sighed. My hair was tied up in a high ponytail, something I didn’t often do. Erika sat to my right, headphones jammed in, arms crossed across her chest. She was obviously annoyed—after all, I could hear her music blasting from where I was sitting. As soon as we’d dropped Myles off, she’d whined about how I was trying to steal Alex from her.
“She hates me, Del.” I murmured, burying my face against his shoulder. He wrapped his arm around me, gently, comforting me.

“No she doesn’t, Jess. She’s just upset.” He told me, voice low and gentle. I shrugged slightly, and adjusted my black and navy striped tanktop as a defense mechanism. I closed my eyes against his shoulder, taking in the comforting scent of his cologne. My brother had always been my favourite male in my entire life. And even though Erika was my best friend… there were still some things that I was even too terrified to tell her.

“I just… She’s so..”

The sound of a car—or more specifically, a van—approaching made me stop my train of thought. I tilted my head so it was still laying on Delaney’s shoulder as the boys drove up. Alex was at the wheel, with a sour expression, I noted, as he pulled to a stop. While Jack, Zack and Rian were out in an instant, Alex seemed to drag himself more slowly out of the van. Reluctant, even. I smiled at all of them as they walked over, and lifted my head. With one last glance down at my bangles, I adjusted them to the best and stealthiest of my extent, not wanting the boys to see what lay below.

“Hey guys! I’d like you to meet Delaney. Delaney, the members of All Time Low.” As I continued, I pointed each one out. “That’s Jack, Zack, Rian, and Alex.” All of the boys have a happy greeting, minus Alex, who gave a small grunt. I frowned at him, and stood up, brushing the dirt off myself. My bangles jingled slightly, and I gave Delaney a kiss on the cheek.

“See you later!” I told him, before bouncing over towards the guys. Jack, Rian, Zack and Erika crawled into the back, which left Alex and I standing. Giving Delaney one last wave, I gently grabbed Alex’s hand and tugged him towards the van. However, it was only a moment before he pulled away like my hand was poison. I frowned at him, and sighed, pulling myself into the front seat without a word. Why was he being such a douche? As we pulled out, I could hear them all chattering in the back. But Alex and I, no, we never said a word.
♠ ♠ ♠
I got my first subs on this. I'm really happy. Thank you, guys! <3
Now! Can we try for some comments and feedback?