Status: Active

We Own The Night

chapter four.

To say the ride to the beach was awkward was most definitely an understatement. Jack, Rian, Zack and Erika chattered in the background, but Alex seemed to be forcibly choosing to ignore me. I tried to start a few conversations weakly, but he didn't seem to be having any part in it. His eyes flicked when I spoke, but he cave nothing but slight grunts in replies when I tried. I tossed a few comments in to the background conversation here and there, but it was tricky to keep up while riding shotgun. I abandoned the attempts entirely after a bit.

“Have it your way.” I mumbled, tucking my headphones into my ears. It was going to take a bit to get to the beach, so I figured I may as well get some rest out of it. It wasn't long before my eyelids were flickering shut, listening to the lulling sounds of the music in my ears.

* * *

“Jess! Jess! Wake up!” The voice was right in my ear, and I shrieked.

“Jesus fucking Christ, Jack! You nearly gave me a fucking heart attack!” The guitarist had his eyes wide open right in front of her face, a grin plastered on his face. My heart thundered in my chest, and it took a minute to catch my breath.

“Wake up, sleepyhead! We're here!” He gestured around, to the sand of the beach that surrounded us. I breathed in heavily. We were here already?” I rubbed my temples in exhaustion, tucking my iPod into my bag. I was still slightly groggy from sleep, but Jack seemed impatient. He grabbed my wrist, attempting to drag me from the van. Everyone else was up ahead, but panic shot through me. I tried desperately to wreath my arm from his grasp, but he turned, curious, eyes wide.

“Jess, your wrist, what's with--” I slapped my hand over his mouth before he could finish speaking, desperately shaking my head.

“Please, Jack, don't even go near this. Not here.” His eyebrows furrowed in confusion but he stopped speaking, instead just choosing to stare intently at me. My face was burning in embarrassment and I could feel the terror and panic welling up, but I had to force myself to swallow it back down. We were at the beach, after all. I couldn't bring this down because of something that happened so long ago. I pleaded with him silently instead, begging with my eyes.

“Not here. But if you still want to know later, I promise I'll explain, okay? Just not now.” It was easy to see that he wanted to argue, to know now, the curiosity bubbling over the edges. But instead he just nodded, dropping his hand.

“After. We'll talk, okay?” I nodded in agreement, just wanting the moment to pass. Who knows? Maybe in the heat of the moment at the beach, he would completely forget. I knew it was unlikely, but who knew. After all, Jack was well known for having the attention span of a goldfish.

And actually, that was an insult to goldfish.

But he didn't give me much time to mull in self-pity. Instead he picked me up out of nowhere, causing me to scream and laugh in shock. He ran with me over his shoulder, towards the rest of them, who stood with strange looks on their faces.

“Put me down, Jack!” I laughed, pounding gently on his back.

“Jack...” Rian warned, shaking his head at his friend and bandmate's craziness. He shot me an apologetic smile, rubbing the back of his neck. Zack stood chuckling, evidentially unfazed by his antics. Instead of putting me down, however, he pouted like a small child.

“No! Jess is my new best friend. She has to stay with me!” I laughed again, and heard a scoff and the shuffle of feet as Alex walked off.

“What's he got shoved up his ass today?” Jack muttered under his breath, and the other two men shrugged. Erika trailed after him like a lost puppy, with that hopeless, glazed look in her eyes. It almost made her sick. It was at that moment that Jack decided to put me down, allowing the four of us to follow after the two figures in the distance.

* * *

The day at the beach passed fast. Alex seemed to lighten up pretty fast, with all the girls that were flirting with him. The rest of the boys, too-- but I had to give them credit to a certain degree. They stayed true to their word about spending the day with us, brushing off people in the nicest way possible. They did give the fans the attention they deserved, which I didn't mind, but it was nice to know they still stayed true.

But it was getting darker now, and we were all crowded around a bonfire we'd managed to set up. Coats were being pulled on as our hair dried from playing in the water, and the sand was still stuck between our toes. With drinks in hand we chattered for a while, before I thought of a good idea.

I grinned like the Cheshire Cat. “How about we liven up this conversation? Finish the night with a bang?” I could see all their attentions visibly perk up. Their attention was on me, obviously interested in a challenge.

“How about we play Never Have I Ever or Truth or Dare? First one to lose either Never Have I ever, or chicken out on three things in Truth or Dare buys drinks for all of us for tonight.”

“You're on.” Jack challenged immediately, competitive and playful nature kicking in all at once.

“Agreed.” Alex added. Three on board. Zack and Rian seemed torn, but Erika squealed. Clearly, she just wanted some sort of excuse to get near Alex. Well. At least that was four.

Rian was the first to cave. “You know what? It's been a while. Deal.” Zack agreed not a moment after. I smirked in victory, shuffling through all the possibilities in my head. This was going to be an even better night than I'd hoped.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh look! I'm updating quickly now! This is kind of a filler chapter setting up for things, with both Jess and the whole Truth or Dare/Never Have I Ever part.

I need your feedback! Which would you guys prefer? Seeing them play Truth or Dare, or Never Have I Ever?! Leave the comments in which! And if you'd like, you can even send things for me to use in either of the games! If I like them, I'll use them.