Status: Active

We Own The Night

chapter five.

After a quick squabble we had decided on Truth or Dare, and you could feel the intensity in the air. We'd had a random passerby pick a number between one and six, and we'd each settled on a number. It was Erika's number that was chosen- so it was her that was starting first. It wasn't difficult to imagine what she was going to pick. Rian seemed to clue in rather quickly as well, however, and he cleared his throat as she was about to open her mouth to speak.

“We need to set ground rules.” He stated simply, and there was a chorus of agreements. It hadn't occurred to me, but it was definitely a good idea.

“First of all, nothing that will compromise any relationships.” Rian stated, and the rest of us shrugged. It seemed he was the only one with a significant other, and he coughed awkwardly.

“You can't ask the person who just asked you something.” Zack chimed in, and we all agreed fairly quickly.

“How about no asking questions to others involving yourself?” I shot Erika a wary eye, and she glared in response. I sighed, rolling my eyes. I knew just what she was thinking, and she definitely didn't like me for that.

“But that's not as fun!” Jack argued, pouting like a child.

“Makes it more fair, bro.” It was Alex that intervened, to my surprise. We thought for a few more minutes, attempting to come up with any more rules that we may've left out. We came up drawing a blank, however, and all turned our attention to Erika, who was leaned forwards in an attempt to come up with a question.

“Jack. Truth or Dare?” She asked, and it caught me offguard.

“Dare.” There was no hesitation in his voice, and I grinned. This was going to be interesting. Erika regarded him thoughtfully for a second, before giggling. She pointed to where a group of drunken teenagers stood, laughing and talking in a group.

“Go run over there, and do the entire 'I'm A Little Teapot' dance while screaming the words.” Jack cackled, practically rocketing out of his seat.

“That's it?” He mocked, grinning. “At least make it difficult!” He darted away with that, running smack into the middle of the group. A sudden commotion of shouting broke out, and the remaining five of us broke out into hysterical laughter. We could just see Jack's figure and could hardly hear him over the shouts of the confused teenagers. He trotted back just a few moments later, a proud smirk on his face.

“Rian! Your turn! Truth or dare?” He asked as he sat back down, and Rian frowned.

“Truth.” Jack cackled maniacally, and Rian groaned, knowing he was about to regret this.

“Cassadee has been transformed into an animal, and the only way to turn her back is to mate with them. Which animal would cause you the least psychological damage?” I could practically see Rian's eyes bulge out of his head, causing me to let out uncontrollable laughter.

“What the fuck, man?!” He asked, shaking his head at his band mate in disbelief.

“So that's a pass?” Alex winked playfully, chuckling to himself.

“That's just fucked up! I'm not answering that!” Beside him, Jack made a cawing noise, imitating a chicken.

“So Mr. Dawson's a chicken!” With a heavy thwack he swatted the back of Jack's head, who in turn smacked Rian's chest.

“Fine. Pass.” He admitted glumly, shaking his head, still in total disbelief. “Zack. Truth or Dare?”

“Dare.”

“If you could have anyone in the room... Well... Area, be your slave for a day, who would it be and what would you make them do?” An evil grin crossed his face, something that clearly caught the rest of them offguard.

“Jack. And I'd make him do all the most embarrassing shit I could possibly come up with. Get him back for all the shit he's done to me.” Jack shrugged, feigning innocent, as if you say 'I have no idea what you're talking about.' I could see the sides of his mouth attempting not to curve up into a smile.

The game went on as normal for a good few rounds, until it was Alex's turn once again. He looked straight at me, and I swallowed deeply. Shit.

“Jess. Truth or Dare?”

“Truth.” I'd already done my fair share of dares, and I wasn't up for doing another one just yet.

“How'd you lose your virginity?” I felt my blood run cold. My heart sunk and my stomach knotted, and I instinctively grabbed at my wrist, nails digging into the skin.

“I'm passing on this one.” I replied, voice hoarse. It felt like there was a rock in my throat, blocking my wind pipe. My lips felt dry and my eyes stung.

“Oh, come on, it can't be that embarrassing. Just tell us!” Alex pressed, and I shook my head just slightly. “Or is it because you're a virgin, and you're embarrassed?” The others joined in, minus Jack, who looked like he was staring right into my soul.

“Jess,” He said in a low voice, looking at me, “You're shaking. Are you okay?” I looked down at my hands. So I was. They were trembling and my voice was shaky and I felt like I was going to throw up. It was almost as if I could feel his hands on me again, covering my mouth and muffling my screaming.

“I-I need to go take a walk.” I had to get out of there before it got too suspicious. I could feel a tear roll down my cheek as I hurried off, trying to muffle a sob with my hand. I hadn't thought about it for so long but it was coming back like a river now, full force drowning me.

I crumpled in the sand eventually, gasping with tears rolling down my face. I had no idea how far I had ran. It could've been a mile or two. All I could do was pull my knees up to my chest, wrapping my arms around them to keep them pressed tight. I didn't care that I was still wet from swimming earlier- the colder I was, I found the less it hurt.

“Why me?” I sobbed to myself, the barrier I'd broken shattering. “Why did it have to be me?” I whispered, wanting nothing more than to sleep into nothingness.

“Jess? Oh my god, Jess! Are you okay?!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Huzzah! Long chapter. Sorry for not updating this weekend. Was super busy. Anyways! I hope you enjoyed it. Things are kinda coming into place now, haha. Who do you think it is that first finds Jess?!

Also! I just wanna let you guys know I started a new story, named When We Were Young, featuring John O'Callaghan/The Maine! I'd love it if you guys checked it out!