Status: I'm wondering where this will go as well :]

Rose Water

Rose Water Society

Faint sunlight streamed over the worn-down buildings of my neighborhood. The air was crisp as the faint clicking of my heels on the slightly broken sidewalk pierced the twilight filled silence. My breath came out in white puffs as I sauntered on, silently swearing for not putting on my warmer coat as I hugged my arms to my chest. My light pink jacket being defenseless against the late November wind.

Blond hair tickled at my face, my nose agitated by over grown bangs and the cold pre-winter air. If this temperature was any indication then I was in for a rotten winter ahead. Having an after school job should give me the privilege of a warm car. Unfortunately parking was nearly impossible to find in a city ruled by public transportation. Parking my car, which would be a junker in the first place-not to mention, bleed me dry when it came to gas and insurance, would cost me a fortune to park at my apartment complex. My family only owned one car in the first place.

Why would you need a car when there is a subway a block down, and a bus stop two apartments up the street?

The people of New York are ruled by public transportation, and then constantly complaining about it when it doesn’t work out. Sadly I was one of those people. Unlike some of the girls in my class I preferred the questionable bus seat to the unnaturally high costs of driving my own car, or paying for a cab.

If it wasn’t for the fact that I would have to wait an hour to get a bus, and then another twenty minutes to get to my house- I would take it hands down.

If it wasn’t for the fact that the subway terminal was a good ten minute walk in the opposite direction- and an hour and a half long ride back home, I would take that one too.

So, after clocking in after a taxing three hour long shift at Target, I took the other great transportation all New Yorker’s know best- walking.

I totally think more people should try it, maybe not in freezing weather though.

Sighing slightly to myself I pulled on my gloves, the lukewarm yet equally soft material snagged slightly over my grandmother’s ring. A small smile filled my face as I though of her, her memory almost warm enough to take the chill out of my bones as I hobbled on.

She had died not that long ago, it had been at the most maybe two or three years. We had walked along the very same path I was taking home before. Although it had been at a time that spring was turning into early summer and the air was warm and safe- not nearly as bitter and cold.

I have always been a summer girl myself I enjoyed the warmth of the sun on my face, and the long well-lit days.

Pushing my gloved hands into my thin pockets, I let out a light sigh the feeling of nostalgia filling me as I gazed down the road I had taken so many times with my grandmother.

The wind bit at my face as I walked on, my hair moving from the wind in such a way that I could have mistaken it for being alive.

Pulling one of my hands out of my pocket I ran my fingers quickly through the jumbled mess.

My hair has always been this way- wild, no matter how many times I would straighten it, or even curl it it would become this incorrigible mop.

I had half a mind to chop it all off. Maybe one day when I was feeling particularly brave I would chance it. But for now I just let it blow lightly slapping against my back and face.

I stopped suddenly unable to keep myself from walking off of the sidewalk apprehensively towards Rose Garden Park. Every time I passed I could not help but hopefully stare in. Even though it was stupid to even think roses would be growing this time of the year. Rose season was far over, meaning that the namesake plants were only bloomless shrubs. Yet, every day when I walked home from work I would stop a moment and stare in. I suppose I was wishing for something crazy.

Normally I like to stay away from crazy, but something about this place has always left me wondering, even as a child I was fascinated by the Park.

Closing my eyes I allowed my fingers to wrap around the large swirls of metal that made up the recognizable iron gate. The cold metal left my hands numb but fulfilled at the same time. Memories of summers past rushed at me as I stood at a stand still. My breath became subtle, calmed, and collected as I enjoyed the simple vibes I received from the mere presence of the gate.

Smiling slightly, I pushed at the old gate, my mind completely off my original target: home. As far as I was concerned, home would be there once I finished looking around. I only wanted a peek after all. Winter had a way of taking its toll on me, and I enjoyed little reminders of what was soon to come.

Pulling my messenger bag a little higher on my shoulder, I bravely closed the gate behind me. The old steel squeaked as the latch found its way back to a close. The tall hedges that were known in the summer to bloom large red flowers now hung thickly a pale green. The hedges tall masses creating a second fence around the park completely blocked it off from the outside hustle and bustle of the city.

The dimming light of the late afternoon sun shined lightly over the tops of the hedges. The sudden quiet of the park startled me for a moment. The frosty air settling in my lungs as I took calm breaths. I watched transfixed as my breath went in and out of my mouth in white puffs mixing with the frigid air.

My feet scuffled across the light gray asphalt. Mind buzzing as I thought of my new destination. Before today I'd never actually entered the park after summer shined its last rays. I'd never felt like I wanted to, but now urgency ran through my body as I walked deeper into my park. I assumed that there was a logical explanation for such peculiar behavior on my part. I lived in a world of ration and numbers, going with my whim was not something I did often, but when I did give into feelings like I had right now I tended to feel satisfied in the end. Plus, a few extra moments spent chasing a whim would only put me a few minutes behind on my calculus homework.

So I allowed my body to move freely forward. A light wind seemed to guide me towards my destination: the fountain. A smile glowed on my face as I thought of the fountain, its shiny waters clear in my mind.

My pace accelerated as I saw the edge of the fountain in front of me. The white marble gleamed in the late afternoon light. My eyes filled with sudden excitement as I stepped in front of the cool white structure. Surprise lingering as I noticed that the water that should have been frozen solid, was in fact flowing freely circulating in the basin.

It took me a moment to get over that shocking development and even longer for me to realize that the floating red blobs on the fountain's surface were rosebuds.

Now-That-Was-Impractical!


"Beautiful aren't they?" a male voice asked. Startled I stepped back towards the way I had come, the noise scaring me.

"Um.... I guess?" I answered hesitantly craning my neck I caught glance of someone on the other side of the fountain. He was tall, almost lanky in his dark wool coat. His indigo eyes stared out at me from under dark lashes and a maze of golden hair.

"Ambrose is the name," he added offhandedly as he took large strides my way. Suspicion rang in my body at his approach, causing me to sidestep backing myself closer to the exit. My fingers digging into my purse, comforted as they wrapped around the familiar shaped cylinder of my pepper spray.

"What kind of name is Ambrose?" I asked as I furrowed my eyebrows together.

"It's Latin, it means immortal," he added a slight quiver in his upper lip showing that he was enjoying my discomfort.

"Go figure, interesting story- so Ambrose what are you doing all alone in a summer park?" I asked my voice laced with suspicion as my fingers quietly popped the cap off of the spray. I've seen too much CSI New York not to.

"The same reason as you are: to see the flowers." He pointed out rolling his eyes as he walked back towards the fountain leaving me standing there clutching my spray like a fool. His eyes never darted back even for a moment as he stood staring at the water.

Relaxing for a moment my fingers slipped off of the makeshift weapon, and instead grabbed another familiar cylinder: my lip balm.

Running the Snapple flavored balm over my lips I smiled feeling the instant effect. My eyes never left Ambrose, even though I felt silly for thinking he was going to attack me something still did not seem right about him.

Carefully I pulled my courage together, walking back towards the fountain, my eyes never leaving Ambrose's presence.

"Why does the fountain look like this?" I asked my eyes forcibly leaving his form as I studied the water. The swirling movements of the liquid captivated me, blinding me as the water ran its course.

"The Rose Water Society," He said simply. I watched as his reflection shrugging slightly, his odd indigo eyes watching me now. I knew that unease should fill me at the sight of him watching me the way he was but the water had my attention.

"What is that?" I asked, although I was beyond caring, the water had me memorized by the movement of it as the roses floated buoyantly upon the surface.

"The Rose Water Society up keeps no more and no less than ten fountains at a time. As you can see they are irresistible to the eye." He added chuckling, his words hauntingly beautiful. I was not sure why, but something about what he said clicked with me, causing me to smile unnaturally so.

"Are you a member, is that why you are here?" I asked suddenly interested in if he was responsible for such a beauty. My eyes never leaving the surface of the water, even as he leaned in closer I did not move away.

"I do not meet the qualifications, but I do work for them- if you were wondering." His voice getting lost in the sound of the rushing water towards the end.

"Why don't more people come? It's amazing," I asked my voice going soft as I lost myself yet again in the never ending waves.

Over the sound of the water I could hear him chuckle, his voice harsh in contrast to the ever pleasant sounding waves.

"The fountain is only for those whom it picks," his voice hissed in my ears the sound deafening as I felt his fingers wrap themselves around my shoulders.

"But-" my complaint was short lived as he cut me off, his sickly sweat voice changing quickly to disdain, "Sleep," the word was sour as it spread through my mind, his hand clapping over my eyes sent me away from my beloved fountain darkness spreading across my sight and mind, causing me to listen again to his now whispered word. The same as before it now tingled across my skin as it dug into my mind closing it off, darkness taking me over into the black nothingness of sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Recommended Playlist