Hurricane

Count

That next morning, we were all quiet, especially Gerard. I knew he was uncomfortable, and he looked on edge. He had smoked a whole pack of cigarettes while I had been there, and he kept looking at his phone. I had sat on his couch, waiting for the next command from Mikey; who was busy counting our cash and making plans to get a car from a mutual friend in the city.

"I got to go meet my friend Ray," he said to me, "I'll be back, keep everything here; once I come back, we're gone, okay?"

I nodded, not wanting to answer. Again, validation was a fear.

"I love you, Roo." He kissed my forehead.

"I love you, too." I tried to smile, but the muscles in my cheek wouldn't allow it.

He walked over to his brother, said a few words, and then headed out the door. Gerard had come over and sat beside me, he seemed tense, too. I looked at him, he gave me an apologetic glance; "I'm sorry."

"Thank you." I spoke softly.

"I'm sorry Mikey got you into this mess, and I'm sorry about your dad."

"I'm sorry about your parents," I felt the tears swell, "I should've stopped him, but I was so scared."

Gerard scooted closer, "No, don't apologize...I knew Mikey was going to fall off the deep end, I just didn't know it would be this deep."

I wiped my eyes, "I'm so scared, and I'm frightened, but I won't leave him. I promised I wouldn't leave."

Gerard gave me a sideways hug, "I know. I know."

"I don't know what to do! What do I do?"

Gerard had exhaled, "I don't know, Rooney."

Gerard had let me cry on his shoulder until I was all out tears. Even then, I couldn't stop my sobs. I was overcome with emotion, regret, guilt and sympathy, it was hard to keep myself from shaking...

When Mikey had come back, I was better, on the surface. I stopped my tears, but the pain lived and harbored in my chest. He didn't seem to notice as he took my hand and led me towards the front door.

"Thanks, Gee. I'll call when we get somewhere." Mikey had hugged him, squeezing him tight.

Gerard had nodded, "Take care of each other."

Mikey didn't respond, and neither did I. We said silent goodbyes and left the apartment. That was the last time I saw Gerard for years.

~

Mikey had gotten a small car; the color was dark and inconspicuous. 

"I need you to drive this car, follow me." He said. He handed me a key to the small car.

"F-follow you?" I felt uneasy.

"Yeah, I need to get rid of my dad's car." He pecked my forehead, "Just follow me, I'll pull up in a second."

I gave him a dumb nod and watched him jog away towards the car park. I swallowed thickly, getting into the driver seat of this foreign car. I shook violently as I started the car and waited; Mikey pulled up a few moments later, honking. He drove slowly, and I pulled out, following him.

I was lost in silence as I followed Mikey, driving North, I believe, towards wooded areas. I felt sick as I kept a good pace with Mikey; any sane person would have gone to the police, but I didn't. I drove, and then, wouldn't you know it, police lights flashed behind me.

A feeling of relief washed over me, then dread. I pulled over on the side, Mikey had been in front of me, and he slowed, then stopped. I shook as I waited for the cop to come around, and I held my breath, wondering if he would know what I was involved in. I wondered if I was notified as missing or a participant in this mess. My anxiety was through the roof.

The police officer had his flash light out, due to the dim lighting that the trees caused. I rolled my window down, "License and registration." He said quickly.

I drove to my bag on the seat and grabbed my license; "T-this is my boyfriend's car." I had stammered.

The officer bent down and looked at me while I gave him my license. He didn't say anything, but a "Uh huh". Then, I heard Mikey call out.

"What's the problem, officer?" Mikey's voice was clear as he jogged up.

"Who are you?" The officer asked.

"I'm her boyfriend, this is my car." Mikey seemed calm, he had it all together.

"Ladonna here was trailing pretty close behind you." The officer was getting at something I didn't understand. I was afraid, and I didn't know why, either.

"I told her to follow me."

"Alright, son, I'm going to need you to go back to your car." 

It gets fuzzy once again. I remember Mikey walking away, but, in the tape recording, I say he came back...with that fucking shotgun. Without warning, he had shot that poor policeman.

The amazing thing was, I didn't scream. I jumped in my seat and met eyes with Mikey, his breathing was heavy and he looked angry. He had bent over the police officer, grabbed my license and handed it to me.

"Hurry up. Keep close." He stammered to me.

Jesus, I was shell shocked. I didn't know him killing people would be a regular occurrence.

I didn't move when I saw him dragging the police officer's body off the side of the road. I watched in the rearview, then their bodies were gone, and a few seconds later, Mikey reappeared. He came back to the window, to me, "Are you better now? Will you close your mouth, Roo?"

I guess my jaw was slumped down or something. I think he thought me seeing the body had shaken me. That didn't shake me; him becoming this unruly monster had shaken me. 

"Y-yeah." Was all I could say.

He leaned in through the window and kissed me quickly, then jogged towards his car. I was surprise no cars had passed...but we had been in a wooded area.

I followed after Mikey, crying when it all hit me. I didn't sob, tears just fell down my cheeks, like a stream. I didn't know why I was crying, but I had a feeling that it was fear. Maybe, I felt bad for that police officer, he didn't do anything wrong. Mikey shouldn't have done what he had, that man was innocent.

*

We drove for a good hour, before Mikey pulled over to the side of a lake. It was dark now, and getting cold. I shut the car off, wiping my eyes, hoping he wouldn't see; I didn't want to set him off. I watched Mikey turn the lights of his dad's car off, get out, then slowly push it in the lake.

Once it was half submerged, he jogged over towards me, opening the driver side door, ordering me to the passenger side. I slipped over, pulling my knees up and resting my head on them. Mikey brushed his hand through my hair before starting the car and driving away. 

We never, ever talked about that evening, until years later. It seemed like a dream chapter in our lives, that didn't happen. Sure, we had heard about him killing that officer, but we never indirectly brought it up. Mikey said he didn't count, that, that cop didn't count. That man counted, because we both know he would have been the one to catch us...he just didn't want to acknowledge that.
♠ ♠ ♠
I've made Mikey into a homicidal maniac...
What was I thinking?