Hurricane

Have

I had waited in the local motel when Mikey went back. Every second he was gone, I wondered and held my breath. I grew scared while he was gone, wondering if he had gotten caught, or something. 

An hour had past and I felt tears spring up, but then, I saw the door knob jingling. I opened it quickly, seeing a bewildered looking Mikey; I pulled him into my arms and began to sob. He held me too, kissing my temple, "What's wrong?"

"I was scared, you were gone so long." I felt like an idiot, like a child, but, you know, I was in love with him. I had been scared I would lose him.

"I made a drop, baby," he let me go slowly, "getting some cash."

I exhaled, "Sorry...I just...everything is freaking me out."

Mikey pulled me back into his arms, "Nothing's gonna happen to me. No one is gonna take me from you." 

I always believed him.

*

When we got to Wyoming, things were a lot more different. The towns were quiet, and everyone kept to themselves, and Mikey and I stuck out like a sore thumb. With my blonde hair and pregnant belly, people immediately knew we were out of towners, especially Mikey.

We had stopped in a diner, in this rural town, with no traffic and farms everywhere. It was a really nice change; even though people stared at us. We sat in a booth in the back, and I could tell Mikey was really uncomfortable.

"What's wrong?" I had taken his hands in mine, he smile slightly.

"They keep looking at us...maybe this was a bad idea."

"Do you think they know who we are?" I whispered softly.

He looked over his shoulder at the big, burly men watching us, "I hope not."

A teenage girl came up, popping her gum, with a order pad and menus, "I'm Deana, here are your menus. Can I get you anything to drink?"

"Milk, please," I murmured.

"Coke or Pepsi. Anything carbonated." Mikey said quickly.

Deana looked at us like we were some type of new breed of person. "Alright. I'll be back." She left, leaving us alone again.

"I don't like it here," he mumbled, "we need to be somewhere more populated...and I need to move my units."

I nodded, "Wherever you go, I'll go, you know that."

Mikey kissed my hand, "I know. We can stay for a couple days...just to get you off your feet for a while."

"But, we need money..."

"I have some cash saved up, don't worry." I gave him a confused look, "I've been saving up..." he wanted to say more, but he didn't, "Let's just order."

When Deana came back with our drinks, we order something quick to eat. Mikey didn't like to eat fast food, and neither did I. He usually bought food to hear up in a microwave or to grill, that's what we usually ate. He was addicted to caffeine and I had grown a habit of drinking milk; strawberry, plain and chocolate.

"I'm gonna scope out this place," He had said as we walked to the local hotel, "see if I can find anyone out here with a habit."

"Can I go to the pharmacy?" I asked shyly.

"What do you need?"

"I just wanted to see what they have. I know I should get off my feet, but I really wanna see what this place has."

Mikey didn't object, "You know what to do if something happens, right?"

"Don't open my mouth," I recited his words, "I won't."

Mikey kissed my cheek, "Here's $20, don't spend it all, ok? Just get whatever you might need."

I wrapped my arms around him, "I will, thank you."

*

The town was really, really quiet that afternoon. I had wondered if people were running from me, in a way. I wasn't afraid, more curious as to why it was quiet. I saw that most of the shops were open, and the barbershop was the only place that there were men hanging out. I went into the pharmacy, hearing that ding and seeing two children buying candy, and two women gossiping.

They had looked at me, then went back to talking. I walked the isles, not particularly looking for anything. I saw some books and magazines and my interest took over. I scanned the magazines, looking for what I used to read; Alternative Press, Rock Sound and Cosmo. I found two I wanted and tucked them under my arm, I was ready to leave, but then I caught eyes with an older lady.

"I apologize for staring, honey, but you aren't from around here, are you?" The woman looked like a grandmother, she had a pretty, sweet smile and round glasses, like Mikey used to wear.

"No, I'm not." I answered her, "Me and my husband are just...stopping in."

"I'm Gretchen, I'm a nurse...do you have maternity clothes?"

I tweaked my lips, "I'm...Mandy," I looked down at my attire; I was wearing an old Poison concert t-shirt and yoga pants, "I don't really have any." I mumbled sheepishly.

"I have plenty of clothes, dear. I can tell you are way too comfortable in your husbands old t-shirt."

I smiled, "I guess you're right."

"Are you two staying in town long? You can come on over..."

"We are, but I have to talk to him first, he's very...mobile. He's always on the move."

"Well, let me give you my number and address. I have lots of clothes from when my daughter was pregnant. You have her body shape."

I talked to Gretchen for a few more minutes before I left. I was really unsure about her, because I didn't know what Mikey would say. I did need the clothes, and I had hoped Mikey wouldn't have said no.

I had gotten back to the hotel, and up to our room. There was a man and Mikey in the room, counting money, with packaged drugs on the bed. He looked up at me, nodding for me to come over, "Roo, this is Bob. Bob, this is my wife, Mandy."

The guy had a shaven head, but he was blonde, and had blue eyes. He laughed slightly, "Why do you call her Roo?"

Mikey looked over at him, "None of your business." He told him jokingly.

Bob didn't say anything else pertaining to me. He and Mikey continued talking about making drops, until he left. Then, Mikey and I were alone.

"What'd you get?" He asked putting the money and drugs away.

"Two magazines," I gave him the change when he turned back, "This woman came up to me...she wants to give me some of her daughter's old maternity clothes."

His eyebrow rose, "What'd you say?"

"I didn't say no. She gave me her number and address...she's a nice old woman, her name is Gretchen."

"You want clothes?" He questioned mockingly.

I furrowed my brows, "She offered, I didn't tell her yes or no."

"What made her come up to you?" Mikey crossed his arms as he stood across from me.

"She was staring at me and then she started talking."

Mikey narrowed his eyes, "Do I have to be your fucking parent? Do I have to tell you not to talk to strangers?"

I looked down, like a dog being punished, "I'm sorry."

Mikey didn't say anything, he just turned and went to the bathroom. I felt tears prick the corners of my eyes; internally, I felt like a complete idiot. I felt as if I had let him down...