Hurricane

Choice

I had asked my neighbor, who had kids of her own, to please watch you for me. She did, and I don't know if you'll remember. Anyway, I had to go to the police station, and I promised you I'd be back.

Once I was at the station, they led me to an interrogation room. I tried not to seem nervous, but I was. I almost pissed myself, sitting and waiting. I thought about all the crime TV shows Mikey and I had watched, and what he used to say.

"They give you soda or coffee to make you impatient, eager and willing to do anything to move. They shove caffeine down your throat to break you."

The cop from the hospital, Detective Bryson, stuck his head in, "You need anything, Mrs. McCoy?"

"No, I'm fine."

"Soda, coffee?"

"Water." I finally answered.

He nodded, was gone for a moment, then came in with a water bottle. He sat down and slid it to me, "Now, Mrs. McCoy, I've talked to a few of my officers who searched your home--"

I cut him off, "About that, why exactly we're they rummaging through my home?"

"The drugs, of course," he answered simply, making the knot in my stomach tighten, "we got a tip...same tip from the man who had robbed you. Bob Bryar; he's an informant for the Wyoming police department, working within the system to catch criminals."

I wanted to throw up.

"Criminals." I stated dumbly.

"Yes," he pulled out a folder, "now, I'm going to need you to tell me the truth."

"The truth?" I looked at him, playing innocent.

"Yes, the truth. Do it for that sweet little girl of yours. Where is she exactly?"

I swallowed thickly, "My daughter is with a neighbor. And I have no idea what you are talking about."

Detective Bryson put the folder down, ready to open it up, but he didn't; "Tell me what you think is in here."

"A police report." I answered.

"Several, but what else?"

I shrugged, my ears started to warm up, "I don't know."

He opened the folder, there was a picture of Mikey from high school, and he pushed it aside, then a picture of me with a smile in my face. I held my breath; "It's your entire life...Ladonna."

My eyes grew wide and I felt the vomit rising. I grabbed the trash can, beside me, and began to vomit. I felt the tears roll down my cheeks freely, the detective got up and left the room, then returned, taking the can from me. He handed me a clean towel, I held it to my face and still threw up. He put the can under me and sighed.

It took me a few minutes to stop myself. I rubbed my eyes, wiped my mouth and took a drink of water. I had totally made myself look more than guilty. I scolded myself; Detective Bryson sat down across from me; "Just tell the truth."

I looked at him, thinking maybe I could still salvage this, "I don't know what you're talking about."

He sighed, "Do you know how many people have been looking for you two? Your sweet mother has been worried sick, I'm sure your friends miss you too."

I kept my lips shut, not giving in. I only thought of you and Mikey. I also wondered how they found us out.

"Ladonna--"

"That's not my name." I spat.

"Yes it is," he told me sternly, "what has this man done to you? Has Michael Way brain washed you?"

I kept my mouth shut.

"This life you were leading could've been bad for your daughter."

"My daughter has nothing to do with this. You have the wrong people." I spoke with anger for the minor mention of you.

"We have everything!" He snapped, "We know who you are, we know what you did, and we're taking Michael in as soon as he's healed! You don't start talking, we're sending you to prison for aiding a fugitive, drug trafficking and distribution of sales! Is that what you want, Ladonna?"

I had nothing to vomit, and my head began to spin. I began to cry. I held myself and sobbed. I wasn't trying to get out of it, what the detective said just brought everything to light. Whether I liked it or not, I was going to lose you or Mikey.

And, I chose you.

"Don't take my daughter from me. I love her, please, don't take her. She has no one but us."

The detective softened his stance and nodded, "Tell us what happen. Are you or are you not a hostage?"

I looked at him and shrugged, "I don't know."

"Did he make you go with him or did you willingly go with him?"

I sobbed again, I was betraying him. I picked you over him, "At first he made me, but I just...I went. I didn't know what he was gonna do. I swear, I didn't know he was gonna do all of that. You don't know Mikey...you don't know what he went through." I sobbed again.

I knew Mikey was going to kill me.

"Did you participate in--"

I stopped him, "I didn't know! I didn't know he was going to do what he did! I swear on my life, I didn't know!" I broke down harder, resting my head on my arm, on the table.

It had seemed like my entire world had caught fire and there wasn't an extinguisher in sight. I had fucked myself and Mikey over. But, I did it for you. I couldn't just abandon you, who would take care of you? I wouldn't dare let my mother have you.

***

Mikey and I, along with you, we're extradited back to Jersey, and it had been 5 long days since I had last talked to Mikey. I wanted to hug him, tell him I was sorry. I wanted to see him, more than anything.

They had to call family to take care of you, because we had living relatives. I told them to call Gerard, and they did. I got to be with you before he would pick you up.

"You're gonna go with your uncle for a little while, Isabel," I had held back tears.

"Why? Where are you going?" Your eyes were wide and reminded me too much of Mikey.

"I can't explain it, baby. I'm sorry."

I had hugged you until Gerard showed up. He looked a lot different than I remembered. He had come over, in the lobby of the police station, and stood before me.

"Hey..." he said awkwardly, "A kid..."

I stood too, placing you on my hip, "This is Isabel...she's two," I swallowed thickly, "I'm being held in J-A-I-L." I spelt it so you wouldn't understand.

Gerard nodded, "They told me. I...how come you didn't call your mom?"

"I don't think she'll be able to take care of Izzy. My nanny raised me."

"I'll try and do it. My girlfriend likes kids, and she has a little sister..." he scratched his head, then tapped your shoulder, "Hi Izzy."

You had looked to him, staring at him, reading him, "Hi."

"I'm your...uncle Gerard. I guess you can call me Gee."

You just nodded, then I hugged you tighter, "You're gonna stay with him for a little while, ok? I promise I'll be back to get you as soon as I can."

I could see the tears in your eyes, "Can I stay with you?"

"No, I'm sorry, baby. I wish you could..."

"Where's daddy? Can I stay with daddy?"

I wanted to start crying then...even now.

"No, sweetie. But, it's only for a little while, I promise." I had pecked your cheek and handed you off to Gerard, "Please, don't cry? Will you be a big girl for me?"

You had nodded your head, sniffling softly and wrapped your arms around Gerard, "Love you."

"I love you, too, Izzy."