Hurricane

Bittersweet

I don't know how I got through a week in jail. Sitting with these criminals, women, who were all so violent and quiet. No one spoke to one another, though a nice woman, Anna, sat beside me on the 4th day.

"What are you in for?" She asked me with a mousy like voice.

"I don't know." I answered her truthfully.

"How do you not know?" She asked curiously.

"My boyfriend and I have been on the run since we were 17." I told her, "He killed some people and I went with him."

She made an "oh" facial expression, "You're that girl...Ladonna."

"Yeah."

"I think your story was romantic," she glared at me with glass-like eyes, "I think it was sweet you chose to go with him. And you had a little baby?"

"Yeah," I smiled at the thought of you, "a little girl. She's beautiful."

"I hope you get off, because I know that your boyfriend isn't, and your little girl needs you."

I swallowed thickly, "Me, too."

When I was finally brought back to the police station, once again, I was numb and I missed you. I missed Mikey, and I wanted to go back to our old lives. Living on the run was better than being without you two.

Anyway, I had been handcuffed and set in another interrogation room. A new detective, Det. Matthews, came in and eyed me for a few minutes. He licked his lips and gave me a small smile, "We're going to let you go free." He said.

"What?" I asked, almost about to cry.

"We are going to drop all charges against you."

I almost screamed out of sheer happiness, "Really?" the tears came down.

He leaned forward, nodding, "All we need is for you to testify against Michael."

My smile dropped and my stomach tightened as usual. I looked away and shook my head, "I won't."

"Then you'll have to go to trial, unless you enter a plea bargain, and I guarantee you'll spend at last 5 years in state prison."

My mouth ran dry, and tears fell down my cheeks; "What...what do I...the plea bargain...how long--"

"I told you, minimum to 5-10 years."

"And if I testify, what will happen to Mikey?"

"He's already going to prison for life, it's only the lengthy process of a trial." Det. Matthews didn't even bat a lash to me.

"Can I see him? I want to see Mikey." I spoke with determination. I wanted to see him.

"Why?"

"Because I want to see him. I love him. I need to speak to him."

Det. Matthews nodded and got up. He came around to me, "Follow me."

I stood, he kept me handcuffed, and led me out the room and towards the elevators. I wondered where we were going, but I knew it was to Mikey. I was growing anxious with anticipation, and my hands shook. Det. Matthews put a hand on my shoulder and led me to a long corridor, once we were off the elevator, and then to a black door with the words: ROOM 611, on it. He opened the door and there was Mikey, seated and handcuffed like myself.

"Rooney?" His voice was tired and low.

"Mikey!" I yelped and pushed past the detective, rushing to Mikey.

I couldn't get my arms around him, but I pressed myself against him. He couldn't hug me either, but he kissed me.

"Enough," Det. Matthews grabbed my arm, "I'm not suppose to do this, but I'm going to give you 15 minutes together. You will be monitored."

He loosened my handcuffs off, but left Mikey's on. I wrapped my arms around him; Det. Matthews left us alone, and I kissed Mikey again.

"I'm so sorry! I'm sorry," I cried, bringing my hands to his jaw, looking straight at him, "They know everything! They threatened me, I didn't want to--"

Mikey stopped me, his eyes were tired, lazed over almost dead, "It's okay. It's okay." He whispered.

"I didn't mean to tell--"

"I know. I understand," he kissed my cheek, "I'm sorry."

"I just want to be with Izzy," I whimpered.

"Me too," he pressed his forehead against mine, "but it's...too grim for me."

I sobbed softly, "I want everything to go back to normal."

"Me, too." He repeated, "But you can't testify against me."

I nodded, "I don't want to."

"You can't say anything else."

"But..." I swallowed thickly, "I'll go to prison. I won't see Izzy for a long time."

He took my hands, "I'll never see her again. I'll only see her in pictures and behind glass."

"Mikey, I can't...I can't leave her."

"What're you saying?" He pulled away from me.

"I need to be with Izzy. I need to take care of her. Gerard can't do it forever."

He gave me a manic look. He was pissed; "Are you fucking serious?"

"I'm sorry--"

"Fuck you, Rooney." He stepped away from me, "after everything you promised, you're going to turn your back on me?"

"I'm not turning my back on you! I'm doing what's best for Isabel!"

"Fuck you and fuck Isabel!"

I'm sorry for writing this part Izzy, but I thought it was important to know that Mikey had said those words. Words I know he probably regrets. Don't hate him. Don't think he doesn't care or love you. He was upset with me, he was mad at me, he was facing life sentences.

"Mikey...please, don't--"

"Get the fuck away from me. Get out! Get the fuck out of here!" He spat venomously at me.

My stomach tensed even more and tears poured now. I was a wreck and I finally turned away from him, "I love you, Mikey." 

He didn't say anything, but when Det. Matthews came and got me, once the door closed, he let out a loud scream.

***

At my bail hearing, my mother and Gerard showed up. I was surprised to see her, she looked as if she had aged faster in 4 years than in the 40 she lived on earth. She smiled weakly at me and I remember staring at her; I was so surprised.

I was let go for the fee of $30,000 and my mother paid it. My lawyer had said that my mother agreed to pay if you and I came and stayed with her. I disagreed at first, but broke down when I knew I couldn't pay it, and I wouldn't be home for two weeks if I hadn't.

After it was paid, she and Gerard met in the front of the court house. I smiled when I saw you standing by Gerard, holding his hand. I ran over and picked you up, I was overjoyed when I felt your little hands wrap around my neck.

"I missed you, Roo!" You giggled in my ear.

It was bittersweet hearing you call me Roo.

"I missed you, too, baby. I missed you so much."

I looked you over, and you touched my face, "Are you coming with us?"

"Yes," I kissed your cheek, "Um, we're gonna go to my mommy's house, okay?"

You nodded, and waved to Gerard. I walked over to him and hugged him too, with you in my arms; "Thank you, Gerard."

"You're welcome...Rooney." I smiled and patted his back, then let him go.

I turned to my mother and gave her a reluctant smile. She looked as if she was on the verge of tears. I stepped closer to her, and she gave a soft sigh; "Hi, Ladonna."

"Hi."

She brought her hand up to touch your hair, "Isabel is beautiful...she has your eyes.

I nodded, "She takes after Mikey, though."

My mother froze up at the mention of his name, "Are you ready to go? I have rooms set up for the both of you and I have our cook making dinner and snacks for you."

I nodded, "Yes, just give me one second."

I turned back to Gerard and hugged him again, "I'll call you, if that's alright?"

He smiled, "Of course, you and Izzy are my family."

If it hadn't been for Gerard, I wouldn't have stayed clinging to Mikey so much. I have hope that he will forgive me one day.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm spreading out my updates because the story is gonna end soon and I don't want it to end so quickly.
Thanks for reading.