Hurricane

Charmer

My name was Ladonna. Not Madonna, Ladonna. I was named after my great grandmother, who my parents love to death, and must thank for getting my father his cushy office job. They named me after her, she died a few weeks before my birth. Fuck me sideways.

In school, everyone made fun of me for my name. A lot of times they call me Madonna, just to piss me off. It doesn’t bother me, because the teachers call everyone by their last names at my school. But, here’s the kicker, my last name is Rooney.

Yes, I’ve been made fun of for my name. Rather than my waist line or my inability to sit in the back of the classroom, due to my terrible eye sight. I was made fun of for being name Ladonna Rooney; I even got a few Ferris Bueller jokes thrown at me from time to time.

Mikey use to make fun of me, but instead of insulting me –now, he calls me Roo. Like from Winnie the Pooh, I was little kanga-Roo. He thought it was hysterical for 3 seconds, and liked that it was his way of calling me. No one, but he, was allowed to call me Roo, and I made that rule. I liked it, secretly, but I hated it as well; it was so damn cute when his lips pressed to say Roo.

My friends, the group of 3 females who were unimpressed by the rest of the sophomore and senior whores, called me Donna. Donna, it was a gross name, so I made them call me Rooney or Ladonna. Occasionally, I’d catch a “Hey Donna!” I always glared at them, but never corrected them.

”My mom’s name is Donna. Don’t let them call you that.” Mikey had told me one day, and continued to tease, ”I do not wanna call out my mom’s name when I’m screwing you three ways from Sunday.

Such a fuckin’ charmer, eh?

Now, as I think of it, Mikey charmed me, in such ways, when we had first met.

We met as any cliché couple meet. In school, across the room, our eyes met, and we lived unhappily ever after. Well, in a way, we met eyes across the room. We met in Home Economics class, first day of High School. Mikey Way had those big glasses on his face, on the edge of his nose, dangling, begging to fall off and crackle to the floor. He had on clean converse, and dingy blue jeans with a gaping hole placed perfectly on his thin, scarred knee. He had on a clean black t-shirt with the words The Queen Is Dead in grey sharpie written quite big, across his chest.

“Ladonna Rooney, Michael Way, Kendra Smith and Declan Reed, table 4,” Our teacher, Mrs. Jackson read off the partners for the semester.

We all settled at table 4, awkwardly looking at each other. We were in separate “cliques” and didn’t know how to talk to one another. Kendra was athletic, and was trying out for Freshman volleyball, and Declan was a basketball player. I hadn’t known or even seen Mikey Way until then.

“Ladonna, eh?” Declan was eyeing me like a piece of meat, and I knew we had a problem.

“Uh…yeah.” I answered awkwardly.

“You seeing anyone this year?”

My brows shot up, “Um—“

Charmer. Mikey Way saved me, “Yeah, we’re hitting it off.” Mikey had placed an arm over my shoulder.

Declan’s total demeanor changed, he was now feeling foolish, “Oh…sorry, dude.”

“It’s cool,” Mikey had that shit eating grin on his face, “Right, Rooney?”

I blushed, as usual, “Yeah…it’s cool.”

Ever since that awkward, and un-formal meeting, Mikey Way was a leech on my back, but just a little. He had followed me to my locker, and we ate lunch, quietly together. He had teased me about being Rooney then, and then he said he’d see me in Home Ec. I was more than baffled by him, but I was “charmed” and I had a crush on him.

Throughout that semester, Kendra Smith and I had become friends, and we had lunch together everyday, and we gain two other friends, Stefani Brand and Leah King. We were all close, and I think that’s when my and Mikey’s friendship had fallen off.

“Are you two really going study?” Kendra had asked the first week we had, had lunch together. Mikey was skimming the cafeteria, talking to a few of the punk kids.

“No. I don’t even know him.” I told her truthfully.

“Oh,” Kendra nodded, “He was trying to keep Declan from you?”

“I guess so.”

“I think he likes you.”

“Maybe.” I murmured, “I just don’t know if I liked him back.”

For the next year and a half, Mikey distanced himself from me, and we only saw each other in classes and sometimes after school, when I hung out at the mall with Kendra and Stefani. But, I usually saw him when Leah and I would get coffee from the new chain of coffee shops; Star Bucks. Mikey’s older brother had worked there and he would laugh and mess with him there. Leah loved their muffins and their hot chocolate, and we often spent Saturday’s there.

She, too, noticed the interest Mikey had taken in me; “He keeps looking at you.” She whispered.

“I know.” I whispered back.

Leah liked getting the boys attention, but I didn’t, unless it was Mikey’s. I got giddy whenever he was near, and my friends knew this. I was just too scared to ask Mikey out, for fear of rejection, and more than likely, ridicule.

It was another year that past, summer 1997, when my life with Mikey changed. He came around me more frequently, telling me about his adventures with the girls he had hooked up with. We were Juniors, going to be Seniors, and our mesh of friends were all friends now. We all knew each other, we all hung out, we all didn’t mind the cliques so much. My inhibitions changed, my hormones were raging and I liked Mikey a lot more than any other guy at our school.

“Mikey, can I speak to you, alone?” It was July, we were all at a party at Stefani’s, and the need to tell Mikey how I felt was over bearing.

Mikey had given me that smirk, teasing me, “Rooney, what’s up? I’ve been looking for you.”

I bit at my lip, school girl crushes were erratic, “Good, I need to speak to you.”

Mikey had let me pull him to Stefani’s unoccupied bedroom, and sit him on her bed. He pushed his glasses back, eyeing me as I sat beside him, “What’s up?” he asked a second time.

“Um, y’know, Mikey that I…uh, that I like you and I was wondering…y’know,” I stammered, my heart was going to pop out my chest, I just knew it would, “I was wondering if…maybe—“

Mikey looked amused when he placed a finger on my lips, “I’m the guy, aren’t I suppose to be asking you out?”

I shrugged, blushing, “I wanted you to, but you haven’t made a move.”

Mikey’s lips had turned down, “Well, let’s go out. How’s tomorrow sound? I got tickets to see Oasis in the city, and my brother can’t go, and I was going to take Frank with me.”

I smiled slightly, “Oasis…that sounds wonderful.”

So, Mikey and I were “dating” in a way. We spent the rest of the night hanging out with our friends, until my curfew, which my parents had extended, for summer, to be no later than 1 am. Mikey had walked me home, and I got there at 12:55.

“Thank you for walking me home,” I had smiled even more than I had ever in all my 16 ½ years of living, then. I had went to open the door, but Mikey stopped me.

“Hey, I still got you for 5 minutes, Roo.” Mikey cornered me on the porch and leaned up against me.

Before I could respond, he kissed me. Mikey Way had kissed me, and I nearly melted in his arms, onto the porch, and puddle at his feet. I never believed in love at first sight, or any type of love, yet, but I felt something then. Sometimes, I wanna believe it was love. Sometimes, I think it was heartburn.

“Ladonna Marie Rooney!” My father’s voice was like a clash of silver pots banging together.

Mikey and I pulled apart, he had smoothly stepped from me, and smiled at my dad. I touched my lips, feeling flushed.

“Uh, hi daddy.” I stammered for the second time that night.

My dad crossed his arms, “Who is this, Ladonna?”

I looked to Mikey and saw him cringe, “This is Michael Way. He’s a boy from school…he asked me out on a date.”

Mikey nodded, smiling to my dad again, “Hello Mr. Rooney. It’s nice to finally meet you, Ladonna has told me a lot about you. You are a banker, right?”

He was charming the Armani docks right off my dad. “Yes, I am. Are you interested in banking, Michael?”

“No, I’m more into investing and saving.” Grade A ass kisser.

I didn’t want this to happen, even this late at night. As my dad prepared to continue, I stopped him, “I am beat, dad. You and Michael can continue this tomorrow before our date, right?”

My dad shook his head, “I guess so.” He turned to Mikey, “It was nice meeting you.”

He and Mikey shook hands, “Same here sir.”

My dad had bought into Mikey’s charm, but it didn’t last.
♠ ♠ ♠
22 subs, AWESOME!
I love the comments, thanks :)