‹ Prequel: Life Coach
Status: Complete

Act of Kindness

Chapter 13

As I starred at myself in the miror I couldn't believe that the woman looking back had gone through pain and happiness at the same time. But I guess makeup does that for you. If a stranger were to see me, they wouldn't be able to tell that I had lost two friends in such a short amount of time. All they would see is a woman about to get married.

"Not getting cold feet, are you?" Julia asked as she took a sip from her champagne glass.

"Of course not. I'm just trying to to figure out how I look so good after everything thats happened."

"You're strong Kara. You've always been."

"Everyone ready?" My dad asked walking into the dressing room sporting the Army formal wear he saved just for his children's weddings.

"Where's Nicky and Madelyn?" Jackie asked setting her own glass down and searching the room for the two Sharp children.

"Here we are!" Abby called out, my flowergirl and ringbearer dressed in their finest, by her side.

"Where are the rings?" Julia questioned. All eyes in the room went to the small little hands of Nicky where the pillow and the rings should be.

"Yeah about that...the boys made a slight change to the wedding party." Abby walked back out the door, to return with something we weren't expecting.

A child's red wagon was decorated with a variety of pictures and newspaper articles from the Stanley Cup win to my performance on stage. The pictures were mixed of past and present photos provided by our families and friends. Patrick and I posed in each one of them. Our lives were captured in these memories, perfect for our wedding.

In the middle of the wagon, surrounded by the pictures was Lord Stanleys Cup. Around the top, right under the cup itself was a red bow tie, dressed for the ocassion. And on top laid a plush pillow of Tommy Hawk, the rings secured to the Blackhawks mascot.

"This has got to be the cutest thing I've ever seen." I say circling the wagon.

"Patrick would have something like this for his wedding." Erica said with a shake of her head but a smile on her face thanks to her brother.

"Well we need to get going. Don't want to worry Patrick." My dad said ushering us out the door.

My bridesmaid lined up and waited for the music to start to walk down the aisle in the church. As we watched the girls head for the alter, my dad leaned into me, our arms linked as we waited fir the wedding march, "You know, theres still time to forget all of this and just have a party." I laughed.

"Tempting dad but I'm positive about this."

"Just saying...we already paid for the bar." I smiled at my dad and actually had to urge him down the aisle when that popular wedding march began to play.

With the crowd we had, I could barely even see Patrick at the alter. So as I made my way I smiled politely at the guests. Most of them I recognized, many of them were friends of mine and I had met several of Pats friends over the years.

I smiled big when I saw the various hockey players from different teams; Sidney and some of his teammates, a couple guys Pat made friends with from playing in the Olympics, and even just a few that donated to the various charities I attended with Pat in through the years.

Pat's right...I am too nice.

Once my eyes landed on my fiancé at the end of this long walk, they never left him. Patrick looked so handsome in his tux, along with the men behind him. But Patrick...it was like seeing him the first time back in Vegas. It wasn't the suit that complimented him, it was he who made that tux look hot. God, he could be a model...

That smile I, oh so feel in love with, grew the closer I got to the alter. As did mine at just the thought of what we were about to do. I was about to spend the rest of my life with Patrick Kane. Some might find that as a form of punishment *cough cough Shaprie cough cough*, but this was the greatest adventure I'd ever experience, even if it was only the first step in my life journey.

My dad kissed my cheek and placed my hands in Patrick's awaiting ones. The two of us approached the pastor and waited for this to start, "Dearly beloved..."

---

Tears were shed, smiles glowed, and an applause erupted in the ball room when the announcer said, "I present to you the new Mr. and Mrs. Patrick Kane!"

After a little over an hour with the photographer we hired, Pat and I arrived at the reception area where our guests were waiting eagerly for the new couple to make their grand entrance.

We walked to the bridal table were my four bridesmaids and four of the guys on the team sat. Everyone else was strategically placed in circular tables across the dance floor. I had left Pat's sisters in charge of who sat where but had final say before we sent it in. Let's just say, I had to make several changes...

"Erica...you can not put Sidney Crosby right next to the bridal party!" I said with a laugh.

"Yeah, we want everyone's eyes on Kara, not Sidney. This is her big day." Julia sorta defended.


So with the changes everyone was around people they knew, but were also mixed with some they didn't, giving the guests a chance to get to know each other.

Pat and I walked around mingling with the our families and friends. We had started out together but somehow split up, him one way and me the other. Pat ended up across the room, talking to some of his old friends from Buffalo while I made me way to the different tables, stopping at one in particular.

Sidney stood up and put his arm around me, kissing my cheek, "Congradulations. It was a beautiful ceremony."

"Thank you all for coming." I said to him and the couple of guys that tagged along. Kris Letang brushed his hair back, giving me a shy smile while Marc-Andre Fleury and his beautiful wife Vero offered a knowing smile, both knowing how it felt to be with the one you love forever.

"We wouldn't of missed this." Vero said.

"We're very happy for you." Kris added.

In the few times playing against the Penguins, I had run into several of the players and somehow created a bond with the guys, Crosby mostly. He was very nice whenever we ran into each other, creating small talk about how things have been. Julia would joke about how I was the only one Sidney would talk to before the games that was on the other team. Something about a crush. When Pat heard about that he tried his hardest to keep me away from the visting locker rooms...obviously he failed.

"I will admit, it's hard to see the Cup here." Sidney joked nodding towards the dressed Stanley Cup.

"Good thing you're so beautiful, gives him something else to look at." The quiet defenseman teased his Captain, causing Sidney's cheeks to tint pink.

"You do look very beautiful, Kara." Sidney complimented.

"So...Patrick Kane? I give you props girl, he's something." Marc said.

"Oo shush! They're perfect together." Vero defended, getting a laugh from all of us.

"Thank you, but I'm sure Pat would tell you I'm no ray of sunshine everyday." I tell them.

"I find that hard to believe." Sidney said, his arm bringing me into his side. I placed a hand on his chest, resting my head there as well.

"How cute!" Vero squeled. She pulled out her phone and snapped a picture of us, "Give me your number and I'll send it to you." Vero promised.

"You got a sister? I think it's time for Crosby to find a wife." Marc joked. I laughed and shook my head.

"Sidney will find a wonderful woman one day. No worries." I reassured him, "I need to get going. It was nice seeing you all and thanks for coming. Save me a dance, Sid?"

"Of course." I kissed his cheek and went on my way. I chatted with family, posing for informal pictures and accepting their compliments on the ceremony.

Some of Pat's friends, that I only met a few times, welcomed me into their lives as the girl that tamed Patrick Kane, "Never thought I'd see the day." They all said.

At one point, Pat and I I reunited and stuck together till we were informed dinner was soon. The guests took their seats as the champagne was poured. Everyone quieted down as Jonathan Toews, dressed to impress, stood with a microphone in his hand, "Hello everyone...again. Didn't we just do this for Kara's birthday? Oh well, there's never a bad time to party," He joked, "Now as best man...got that Sharpie? I'm best man...As best man I'm obligated to tell jokes and poke fun at the couple but we would be here forever.

"Let me start off with congratulations to Kara for doing something so many have failed to do...putting a leash on Kaner. Since he met her, Pat had changed, and for the better too. But Kara has that affect on everyone she meets. She brings out the best in people...while Pat just pisses everyone off.

"I couldn't be happier for my best friend, finding the girl of his dreams. Kara's an amazing woman. She's kindhearted and always puts others before her. Besides her beautiful voice, her talent to put a smile on everyone's face is much better than Pat's 2010 game winning goal...Sorry bud.

"Meeting Kara was one of the greatest things in my life, because of her, I've met all kinds of new and interesting people," Jon looked over to my maid of honor with enough love in his eyes to rival Pat's, "I couldn't be happier to work with Pat and being friends with Kara. So...to the bride and groom. To many, happy years and strength for Kara to put up with Pat. Cheers!" The guests raised their glasses and took the traditional sip of champagne.

"You should become President with those speech skills," Julia joked, now taking the microphone for her toast, "Well Jon pretty much said it all. I couldn't be happier for my best friend. Kara deserves to be happy and I know Pat's going to give her that. He's so good to her and that's all a friend could ask for. Pat already knows that if he screws up, he has to answer to me. But in all Jonathan Toews(get it?), to the happy couple and many, many years of love ahead of them. To Pat and Kara!"

The food was passed out and the drinks were poured. Before we knew it, the dance floor was covered with the guests shakin' it.

"Ladies and gentlemen, if we can have the bride and groom come to the dance floor for their first dance as husband and wife." Dominic said from the little stage his band was playing on.

Pat offered his hand and led me to the middle of the dance floor, "I don't remember picking a song." I stated.

"Don't worry, I did." He replied with a smirk. The band began to play that familiar tune I heard over and over again.

"Beauty and the Beast?"

"I found it fitting. I am quite beautiful," He teased, "But...Amanda suggested it the first time I met her." I smiled, leaning up to kiss my husband.

"I can't believe we're married."

"You better believe it! You're stuck with me, babe."

"Kara Kane...has a nice ring to it."

"It sounds like candy cane."

"You would point of the fact that my name sounds like a piece of candy."

"It's because you're so sweet." I dropped my head against his chest, shaking my head as the thought of putting up with that for the rest of my life...then I smiled. "I love you Kara Kane," Pat whispered, "I'm so lucky to have found you. You are so beautiful and I can't imagine my life without you. You make me so happy and I can't wait to spend forever with you by my side." I lifted my head and received a passionate kiss from Patrick. The applause from the guests couldn't pull us apart...but the lack of air could.

The rest of the night was filled with laughter and dancing. I had my father-daughter dance, and even danced with Pat's dad. I danced with Jon and most of the guys on the team, and many of the guests.

The cake was cut and the open bar was drying out. The hours fell into the night signaling the end of the celebration.

Everyone watched as Pat and I made out way to the car that will take us to the airport. I was never told where exactly we were going but at this point, as long as I was with Patrick it didn't matter.

At the airport, we were escorted to a private plane, curtesy of the Chicago Blackhawks, "Where are we going?"

"To the happiest place on earth." My eyes lit up at the sound of that oh-so familiar phrase, "I knew you'd like the idea. So...we have about three hours till we get there...what would you like to do, Mrs. Kane?"

---

After this summer, I wasn't ready to head back to the real world, but a certain someone had a hockey season to get ready for.

We spent the whole summer in just the ultimate state of bliss. The honeymoon was two weeks in Florida, after that we headed to Buffalo and Syracuse to be with family. Then we spent about a month in Chicago. We signed on a beautiful house and took the time to move our stuff there, adding our fabulous wedding gifts as well. My favorite was the Pittsburgh Penguins toaster that pressed the logo on the toast. It was given by none other than the Penguins captain himself. Of course Pat didn't find it as funny as I did but the toaster remained on our kitchen counter.

While in Chicago, Pat kept busy with media, leaving me home alone to tend to organizing the rooms...the jerk, thinks he's so smart.

Julia and Jon were off doing god knows what and not responding to my calls or texts. Last time I checked, I was the newlywed...unless...no, I'd like to think I would of been informed of that.

So when the end of August came around and the boys were back in town, I made sure Julia came over.

"You're worse than my mother." Julia said when she arrived at the new house, "Wow, this is a nice place." She looked around the open entrance way.

"What have you been doing that you can't call me?" I asked, my hands on my hips.

"Sorry, I've just been busy. Jon had a lot of media and we went to see his family."

"You could of texted." I mumbled giving my friend a hug.

"So how was your summer?" She asked, accepting the glass of lemonade I poured for her. We remained in the kitchen, leaning against the big island in the middle of the room.

"It was good. I didn't want it to end."

"I bet." Julia mumbled.

"And the honeymoon...oo it was fantastic. Pat was so romantic!"

"Okay we don't need to get into the details."

We spent the next hour or so talking about our summers and wanting the break to never end but the boys had a title to keep and that was most important.

I did notice though that Julia was hiding something from me, like she wanted to tell me something but couldn't find the right words to say it. I want to ask her about it but a different conversation would come up.

But that was before I noticed it!

"Shut the front door!" I hissed, Julia stopping her story as I reached for her hand and saw the familiar engagement ring bought by the Blackhawks Captain, "What--How--When? Were you going to tell me?" I asked, admiring the heart cut diamond on the silver band.

"Yes, I just didn't know how. You just got married, I didn't want to ruin your news with mine."

"Julia...this is amazing! I'm so happy for you! How did he do it?" She sighed a dreamy sigh.

"It was over the summer. He bought tickets to a Yankee game..."

Julia's love for the New York Yankees competed with her love for the Buffalo Sabres. But seeing as baseball season was here, Jon took it as the opportunity. Of course Julia wouldn't turn down a trip to the Big Apple to see her team play.

Her Derek Jeter jersey was the first thing packed.

It was an afternoon game against the White Sox. The weather was perfect, the stage was set, now all he had to do was wait.

Jon tried to come up with the right way to ask her; do a party like Pat? Take her to dinner? Or just randomly pop the question? Jon wanted to make it special. He loves Julia more than he thought he could love anyone. She was perfect for him. She could wipe the seriousness right off his face. Julia was his crazy to his seriousness. She didn't take shit from him, or anyone, and had no problem putting him in his place.

During the game, Jon's legged bounced up and down. He was looking for anything that would be his green light to ask. Not that he could get her attention anyways, the game was tight between the two teams.

By the ninth inning, Jon still hadn't asked. The game could end at any moment.

The bases were loaded with Yankee players. They were down with one out left and Jeter was up to bat, "Come on baby! You can do this!" Julia said, her hands clasped tightly together.

If Jon was going to make his move...he had to do it soon.

"You want any Cracker Jacks?" Jon offered, holding out his box.

"No thanks."

Jon looked down at the box of his snack and noticed the words
Surprise Inside! and then it clicked, "Hey there's a surprise inside." He shuffled the carmelized popcorn and peanuts around, pretending to look for said 'surprise.'

"That's great honey." Julia said not taking her eyes off the batter.

"Julia, you gotta see this!" He nudged her but she just swatted his hand away.

"Are you not paying attention?! This is life or death!"

"Come on Julia. Just look. I seriously doubt anything will happen the two seconds your eyes are off the game." Julia let out a groan and snapped her head in Jon's direction.

Julia wasn't sure if that loud sound was her heart stopping or the ball flying off Jeter's bat when she came eye to eye with the ring in Jon's hand.

Everyone in the stands were on their feet for the grand slam Jeter sent over the outfield. Jon and Julia remained sitting as Julia starred at the ring, mouth gaped open.

"Julia," Jon got off his seat and knelled in front of her, "I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Please make me the luckiest man on earth and say you'll marry me." Jon proposed.

"Y-yes, yes! YES!" Julia dove into Jon's arms in a embrace, pulling away long enough for Jon to slide the ring onto her finger.

The close game had been long forgotten as the couple soaked in the magical moment.


"And that's how he proposed." Julia finished, playing with her ring, a smile on her face. When she looked up at me, I was on the verge of tears.

"I'm telling you Jon, that's what happened....what happened?" Pat said when he and Jon walked into the house, noticing me and Julia starring at them.

I walked around the counter and crashed into Jon, giving him the biggest hug I'd ever given anyone. I could of lifted him off the ground if I wanted.

"Um, what's going on?" Pat asked, glancing between Jon and I.

"I told her." Julia answered.

"Told her what?" Julia held up her left hand, showing off her 'bling bling,' "Oh yeah that. I knew that." My head snapped over at Pat.

"You knew?"

"Ya, Jon told me." I slapped Patrick's arm, he rubbing the sore spot afterward. "Ow! What was that for?"

"For not telling me! Why didn't you tell me?"

"Same reason we didn't tell Julia I was proposing to you...you'd tell her." I was about to protest but let's face it...I probably would of.

"So that's why you never answered my calls...to busy, eh?" I teased, elbowing Jon with a wink.

If this year couldn't have anymore going on in it, Jon and Julia just added to the list. I was beyond happy for them. I knew Julia was getting antsy and wanted nothing more than to have Jon ask her. Thankfully he did, and in the cutest way!

I couldn't wait to start planning the wedding of my two closest friends.

I couldn't wait to start a new life with my husband.

Everything was looking up and I couldn't wait for what else was in store.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay! The wedding! And Jon and Julia's proposal! Hopefully you thought they were cute. I'm sad to say but there is only one chapter left. This has been an amazing experience and I couldn't be happier with the reactions to the stories. Thank you to all those that stuck with me and commented and subscribed. You're the ones that kept this story alive. I'll be sad to see this end but I've got new ideas for other stories brewing in this brain of mine so stay tuned to new stories.

Thank you again for everything. I love you all!

With love, <3