‹ Prequel: Life Coach
Status: Complete

Act of Kindness

Chapter 4

"Hey Pat, I need to run out for a second. I'll see you at the arena." I called out, putting my coat on.

"Where you going?" He asked walking out of bedroom as he tied his tie.

"I'm going to visit a friend but I will be at the arena in time."

"You're singing, you know that right?" Pat walked towards me, finishing his tie.

"I know, and I promise to be on the ice." Pat smiled leaning in to kiss me.

I made a quick phone call before I entered the hospital. I told the nurse at the front desk who I was looking for and she gave me directions.

I approached the single room and knocked on the half open door, "Come in."

I slowly walked through the door and smiled at the girl lying in the hospital bed. I took in the different flowers and balloons along the window sill. The machines beside her were hooked up to her hands and other parts of her body. The only TV in the room had a pair of commentators discussing the up and coming Blackhawks game in just a hour.

"Kara, what are you doing here."

"I thought I'd stop by and see you Amanda. How's it going?"

"Shouldn't you be at the United Center with Patrick?"

"Yeah, I'm heading there after this. I was wondering if I could talk to your mom quick." I said nodding at Amanda's mother. She stood up and followed me out to the hallway.

"Is everything alright?" she asked.

"Yeah, I was just wondering...if you and Amanda would be interested...in going to the Blackhawks game tonight?" Amanda's mom's eyes widened, her mouth opening and closing with the loss of words. "I didn't want to make a skeptical in front of Amanda if she wasn't able to go but I would really love it if both of you joined me."

"Kara...I don't know what to say."

"I'm sorry if this is so sudden but the boys don't play home for a while after this and it would an honor to have you both go with me."

"We'd love too! Of course, we'd love too." I smiled, "I'll go and talk to the doctor. You can tell Amanda, if you'd like."

"Thank you Mrs..."

"Brown. Jenna Brown."

"Thank you Mrs. Brown." Mrs. Brown rushed off to find Amanda's doctor and I went back in the hospital room.

"Everything okay?"

"Oh, yeah I just had to ask your mom something." I answered as I took a seat in the chair that Mrs. Brown was just in.

"How long have you been a Blackhawks fan?" Amanda asked.

"I'm actually a Sabres fan." I pointed at the screen as Nathan Gerbe was pictured on the television screen. She laughed.

"Then how did you and Patrick meet?"

"The NHL Awards."

"Wow...that's awesome. Was it like love at first sight?" She joked sitting up to look at me.

"I should write a novel about it, it was that magical."

"You know, the Sabres are my favorite team. Right behind the Hawks of course."

"Have you ever been to a game?"

"Which one?"

"Either." I shrugged.

"I've never seen either team actually. I'd love to one day."

"Then...maybe you'd like to come with me tonight." She starred at the TV for a minute until her head slowly turned to me, disbelief written across her face.

"Are...are you serious?" Mrs. Brown returned to the room, the biggest smile on her face.

"I asked your mom who checked with your doctor. And I'm guessing..."

"He said it was alright as long as your back right after." Her mom finished.

"You have to be joking! This isn't serious! You can't be serious!"

"I am," I looked at my watch, "And we need to get going soon because I'm singing tonight and I want to show you around." Amanda leaned over in bed and hugged me.

"Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" A nurse came in to help with the wires just before Amanda jumped out of bed and opened a suitcase.

"Oh wait, I have one more thing." I told her before she went to the bathroom. I pulled out the red fabric from my purse and handed it to her. She opened it up and gawked at the giant Kane 88 on the back of it. She let out a high pitched squeal and went into the bathroom.

"This means a lot to her. I can't thank you enough." Mrs. Brown said.

"You don't have too. I am trying to get tickets to opening night with a couple passes for Amanda and your family. We're still working on it that's why I didn't want to tell Amanda just yet." Mrs. Brown smiled, wiping her eyes of the tears she couldn't hold back.

"Can I just ask...why? Why Amanda?"

"Because she's a great girl. She's just like me when I was her age."

"Thank you Kara. This means the world to her." she said wrapping me in a hug.

"I am so ready for this game!" Amanda cheered coming out of the bathroom with her over-sized jersey on and a bright smile.

Mrs. Brown and I arranged that she would follow me to the arena and I'd show her around. I had called head and ordered the tickets and passes and had Julia pick them up for me.

"Amanda, Mrs. Brown, this is my friend Julia." I introduced, taking the tickets Julia was handing me.

"It's great to see you again." Julia said. I gave my guests their passes and began showing them around the arena. Everyone we passed, Amanda said hi too, the biggest smile on her face.

The last place Julia and I led her was the locker room. I laughed as Amanda was bouncing on the balls of her feet the closer we got to the area where several of the players were stretching or working on their equipment.

"Corey!" I called out. Immediately, Amanda stopped moving and I was slightly scared she wasn't breathing either.

"'Bout time you showed up Kara." I smiled at Corey.

"Corey this is my good friend Amanda and her mom Jenna. She's a big Blackhawks fan." I said. Corey stuck out his hand for Amanda to shake.

"You're a big fan, huh? Hey guys!" Corey motioned for his teammates to come over. I put my arm around Amanda keeping her from falling over.

"Amanda, I'm sure you know Patrick Sharp, Brent Seabrook, and Niklas Hjamarsson. Guys this is Amanda." Corey said. Each of the guys shook the stunned girls hand.

"This is Amanda's first game." I informed.

"Then we'll win this one for you Amanda." Sharpie told her.

"Hey, where's Pat and Jon?" I asked the guys.

"We'll go get them. It was nice meeting you both." Corey said heading into the locker room.

"You didn't mean..." Amanda started but stopped once she spotted Jon and Pat strut over to us.

"Hey, how's it going?" Jon said.

"This is Amanda."

"Yeah, we met at the hospital." Pat said shaking Amanda's hand again, followed by Jon.

"It's so great to meet you. You guys are the best." Amanda told them.

"Thanks, we appreciate it. We need to get back. It was nice meeting you. Enjoy the game." Jon jogged back to the locker room after his good bye.

"Let's get to our seats. Kara, needs to practice." Julia told Amanda and her mother.

"I'll see you later." I waved as they followed my friend up to their seats.

"See, those are the reasons why I threaten to lock you up." Pat teased, stepping closer to me.

"She mentioned she was a big fan of you and I thought going to a game would be nice for her."

"It was very nice. Did you get those tickets for the show?"

"Manny's working on it. Her mother knows, but she won't tell Amanda till I know for sure."

"You are too nice for your own good." Pat pecked my lips, "I gotta go before Captain Serious comes looking."

"Good luck babe."

"I'll see you at center ice." Another quick kiss and we went our separate ways.

I warmed up and practiced the song that I had sung many times before. I watched the team stroll down the tunnel onto the ice. I fist bumped everyone of them as they strolled by for the start of the game.

I ran to where I'm suppose to be waiting to walk out onto the red carpet laid out on the ice.

"Ladies and gentlemen, please remain standing for the singing of our national anthem, preformed by one of Broadway in Chicago's stars, Kara Harrison."

---

"Come on Roy! You can do better than that!" Julia yelled from our seats in the stands.

"I thought she was dating Jon?" Amanda asked, her eyebrow raised as Julia was on her feet screaming...at the wrong team.

"Jon's learned to accept her love for the Sabres." She laughed.

It was a tough game in the beginning but the Blackhawks were able to pull ahead in the second period and kept it in the third. Sharpie had two points, Jon with one. Pat had one assist. The Sabre were able to put two in but there wasn't enough time to get that tying goal.

I brought Amanda and Mrs. Brown back down to the locker room to wait for the guys to come out.

"Kara, I can't express how thankful I am for this. I never would've imagined being here, meeting the team, but especially meeting you. Thank you." I hugged the teenager as I saw a tear slip by.

Cheers from the locker room rang out in the lounge area as the guys walked through the doors. I welcomed Patrick with a congratulatory hug, while Julia stood there pouting, arms crossed over her chest.

"Babe, I'm sorry, but we had to win." Jon said trying to get her to look in his eyes.

"Could of gone into overtime." Jon smiled at his girlfriend, wrapping his arms around her even though she kept her stance.

"Do you mind if I get a picture with you Kara?" Amanda asked. Her mother pulled out a camera from her purse and turned it on as Amanda and I posed together.

From one picture to another, Mrs. Brown snapped photos of Amanda with each of the guys and asked for an autograph on the jersey. Amanda specifically asked Pat to sign the 88 while the others wrote around it.

I smiled watching Amanda interact with the guys, proud that I had the chance to do this for her. Amanda and I weren't too far apart in age and she was struggling with a battle no one knew she'd win or not. There were so many like her and if I had to try and put a smile on each one of their faces...I'd do it.

Mrs. Brown decided it was time to head back to the hospital around 11:30. I promised Amanda I'd stop by sometime and asked for copies of those pictures. I walked them to the exit and bid them farewell.

"Where's Pat?" I asked coming back from saying goodbye.

"He's in the locker room. We're gonna get going. I'll see you tomorrow." Julia said. I waved as her and Jon strolled to the exit, hand in hand. Most of the lounge had cleared out so I went to the locker room to look for Pat.

All the equipment was put away, the room cleaned except for the hockey stench that lingered, "Pat?" I said entering the room completely.

Suddenly, a pair of arms wrapped around me, "Jesus Pat, you almost gave me a heart attack."

"I have that affect on women." He replied back. "You know...I'm the luckiest man on earth."

"Yeah? And why's that?"

"Because I've got the most amazing woman in my arms." He answered just before he pressed his lips against mine in a deep, passionate kiss.

---------------------------------

That man had no idea just how lucky he really was. That fucking bastard.

He never truly appreciated anything he had. If she were mine, I'd show her everyday just how much she meant to me. I'd give her the moon if she asked.

But she wasn't mine. She was his.

He didn't deserve her, didn't deserve to wrap his arms around her and kiss her. Didn't deserve to call Kara his.

Who did deserve her? Kara was too perfect. No man could actually deserve such a phenomenal woman. But I know I would try with every fiber of my being to show her that I'm the guy she should have.

What the fuck am I saying? Kara ever love me?

She could be with me. She could love me just as much as I love her. There had to be some chance that she had feelings for me. I mean...what's wrong with me?

Obviously everything. It wasn't me she was in the locker room with. It wasn't my lips that tasted her or my hands sweeping over her sinfully beautiful body. That only happened in my dreams where I would wake up in a hot sweat.

As much as staying here pained me, I couldn't will my feet to move. If I didn't, I risk the chance of getting caught.

"Pat, what if someone comes in?" I heard her ask.

I didn't hear that bastards reply but instead light moans coming from Kara.

I shut my eyes imaging I was making her moan. My lips against her neck sucking on the sensitive spots. My hands traveling up her bare back as her chest was pressed against mine. She'd be straddling my lap, grinding against me, wanting me to fill her with pleasure...

SLAM

The sound of a door slamming close brought me out of the fantasy I see every time my eyelids close.

"Shit." I heard the bastard hiss.

Two footsteps and a swinging door told me that he and Kara left the locker room in a rush before they got caught.

I took slow, steady breaths to calm myself down.

"Hey! You coming?"

"Yeah," I answered, "I'm coming."
♠ ♠ ♠
There's the second part of the last chapter. Not as long but certainly interesting.

I promise to get working on the next chapter.

Keep reading, commenting, and subscribing!

With love, <3