‹ Prequel: Life Coach
Status: Complete

Act of Kindness

Chapter 5

The bell above the door chimed as I walked into the warm restaurant during my lunch break. The place lacked in customers but having a different lunch time then the rest of the world will do that, "Hey Kara."

"Hey Jimmy, can I get the raspberry salad and my Snapple please?" The teenager nodded and asked for the money.

"I'll bring it over to you when it's finished." I smiled and headed over to my usual table. I set my bag down and pulled out my script, flipping through the next scene we'll go over after my break.

I was feeling really confident about the show. I performed the scenes perfectly, all of them with the right timing and good facial expressions. For my first big time performance, I'm doing pretty awesome.

"Here you go Kara." Jimmy said setting my tray down. I smiled up at him and set my script down beside the tray. "Um, you sang well last night....I was at the game."

"You were? If I'd known that, I would've said hi." The corner of his lip tugged.

"You're really good."

"Thanks Jimmy. That means a lot."

"They said you were, er, performing?" Jimmy pulled out the chair across from me and took a seat.

"Oh yeah, I'm in [i[Beauty and the Beast."

"That's cool. What are you?"

"I play Belle."

"Oh, wow...so you're the lead?" I nodded. "Well congrats. When do you preform?"

"April 15th."

"Wow, that's coming up. You ready for it?"

"Yeah, slightly nervous."

"I'm sure you'll do fine. You're a good singer and you're very pretty." Jimmy blushed as he talked, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Thanks Jimmy. Are you going to go to the show?" He shrugged.

"I'd have to see what's going on."

"Alright. Let me know and I'll make sure to say hi this time." His blush deepened.

"Well...I need to get back to work. It was nice talking to you."

"You too Jimmy." He gave me a small wave and walked back around the counter just as Brian walked through the entrance door. He spotted me and slipped his coat off hanging it on the back of the chair.

"I'm gonna get some food." He told me. I nodded and started mixing up my salad. Brian came back a few minutes later, "I just want to go home and crawl into bed and sleep until showtime."

"Amen to that." I said raising my Snapple.

"I saw you singing last night."

"Were you at the game?"

"Yeah, with a few friends. You did very good. You'll defiantly bring in a lot of people."

"Me? I'm a newbie. You're the one that's going to have the girls drooling all over you."

"Have you looked in a mirror lately? You're a...beautiful woman, Kara. And you sing like an angel. You just changed how men see Disney Princesses." I laughed.

"That's a little over the top, don't you think?" I asked taking a bit of my salad.

"Absolutely not. Kara," A tray of food appeared in front of Brian thanks to Jimmy. Brian looked up at the teenager with a raised eyebrow as to why he had practically dropped Brian's food on his lap. Jimmy glanced between the two of us then left. "Um...anyways, you are an amazing woman. You know...I use to have a crush on you when you first got here."

"What? No way."

"Oh yeah, you were the nicest assistant stage manager that's ever walked through here. Every guy here has had a crush on you. Sadly...you were already taken." He explained sipping his water.

"That's crazy. I don't believe it."

"Of course not! All of us were terrified if we made a move. You think we want the Chicago Blackhawks hunting us down like the mob? We kept our distance but that never stopped us from liking you." I starred at him, trying to find the hint of a joke on his face but he just sat there eating his wrap.

"You're...serious?"

"As serious as you are gorgeous."

---

"Patrick!"

"What?" He answered from the kitchen.

"Make me a sammich!" There was a few minutes with no response, "Pat?" I sat up and looked over the back of the couch. I fell back onto the couch when I saw Pat standing there, his hands on his hips, his eyebrows furrowed and a frown, and the pinkest kitchen apron I've ever seen in my life. I honestly didn't know we owned that. "What...what are you wearing?" I said laughing so hard.

"I'm in here, slaving over a hot stove, making the best dinner in the world...and you want a sammich?"

"Please Pat, take the apron off. I can' take you seriously. Where did that thing actually come from?"

"My mom left it last time she was here." He answered walking over so I could see him.

"So...why are you wearing it?" I wiped a tear from my eye.

"I spilled something on my shirt and I didn't want to get anything else on it."

"You could of just gone shirtless." I suggested with a smirk.

"You would like that won't you?" He teased climbing down on top of me.

"Maybe you could take the shirt off and wear the apron." I said, pulling away from his lips.

"I'll think about it." He answered standing back up and going back into the kitchen.

I chuckled and went back to reading my script again, making notes. "Kara, you got some mail." A few envelopes fell into my lap, all addressed to me.

I smiled as three of the four letters were from fans I didn't even know I had. I recognized them as names from my trips to the hospital. They were thanking me for the tickets to the show and for coming to see them. A four year old even drew a picture of her and I, dressed in Belle's yellow gown.

The fourth letter was from Amanda. She was telling me different ideas she had for several musicals she'd love to work on and was excited for me to look at them. She expressed how passionate she was about these she is and I was excited to see them.

I pulled out my writers pad and began writing a response to each one to mail out in the morning, "Who were the letters from?" Pat asked handing me a bowl of spaghetti and taking a seat besides me.

"Some kids from the hospital wrote to me." I showed him the letters and the picture.

"Aw, Kara's got some fan mail." I nudged him with my shoulder. Patrick turned on NHL Live and we sat comfortably together.

These are the nights I love the most. Curled up on the couch with Pat in my pajamas, eating a home cooked meal. Now that I know about that apron, I might have to get him to wear that more often. But that's why I love Patrick. There is never a moment he's not making me laugh.

"Oo, do that next time you score a goal." I said pointing at the TV. NHL Live had a count down of some interesting victory celebrations. My favorite was one with Matt Duchene and Paul Stastny dancing after a goal.

"Kara...they did that playing us."

"Come on! You and Jonny boy can come up with your own dance. It would be awesome. I'll even help you come up with one."

"Kara...no."

"You're a party pooper." He turned his whole body to look at me.

"Me? You're calling me a party pooper? Do you know who I am?"

"Yeah...a party pooper." I replied sticking my tongue at him. I heard Pat mumble something as he set his bowl on the coffee table and then took mine, "Hey! I wasn't done!"

"I don't really care." He stood up, turned the TV off and tossed me over his shoulder. I pounded on Pat's back until he dropped me onto the bed. He stripped off his shirt, tossing it to the side.

He grabbed my ankle and slid me towards him falling down on top of me and attacking my neck. He balanced on one elbow as his other hand traveled up my shirt, his calloused fingers brushing over the sensitive part of my stomach. He grabbed the hem of the shirt, about to pull it over my head when he stopped, looking down at it.

"Is that my shirt?"

"Yes it is." I said proudly.

"Looks good on you but...looks even better on the floor." I laughed, taking the shirt off letting Pat toss it over his shoulder.

"That was very cheesy. I can't believe you actually said that."

"You love it." He placed his lips on mine, his tongue sweeping over my bottom lip.

I pushed Pat's shoulders without breaking away so I was straddling hims hips. Pat sat up, his hands moving up my thighs to my back where he unclasped my bra.

Pat flipped us back over and sat up, "I think you should get that pink apron...it was kinda hot." I teased. He rolled his eyes and slid his fingers beneath the band of my shorts, slipping them off to join my shirt on the floor.

I could never get use to the way Pat would look at me. It wasn't a look of just lust or desire but one of adoration. And it wasn't just these moments I'd catch him looking at me like that. We could be walking around town or at the arena and I'd see him looking at me with the smallest of smirks.

But he's not the only stealing glances. Pat and I have been dating for four years and looking at him will never get old. He's a good looking man. I know that, every woman in Chicago knows that, every woman in the hockey world knows that. But for the time Pat and I have been together, I'd have to snap out of my dazes before I look like an idiot. I know whatever happens between Pat and I that we will always look at each other with such an adoration and love.

---

"How's that for party pooper?" I let out a snort, rolling away from Pat and burying my head into my pillow.

"You're unbelievable." I mumbled.

"Well thank you. You were quite amazing as well." I turned my head to look at him, rolling my eyes.

I felt his left hand hold onto my hip as he kissed my back up to my neck until I lifted my head up to have a kiss placed on my lips.

"I love you."

"I love you too Pat. But you know what will make you just an amazing fiance? Taking out the trash." He groaned rolling onto his back. "If you do it quick, I'll let you back in bed." I bargained, wiggling my eyebrows at him. He just glared at me then tossed the covers off and put on a pair of sweats.

"It's a good think I like you or you'd be taking the trash out." He mumbled as he headed out the door.

I scooched over to Pat's side of the bed and breathed in his scent from his pillow. The spot he was just in was still warm as I curled up, closed my eyes and soaked it in.

"Hey," Suddenly a pillow hit my backside, "You've got a present."

"So you hit me with a pillow?" I asked sitting up and accepting the little gift bag Pat was holding. Pat climbed in bed behind me and looked over my shoulder as I pulled out a little white envelop,

Your lips, your eyes, your soul
Are like a work of art,
The most creative thing of all
Is your beautiful heart.

If you were a painting,
No colours could express
The beauty deep inside you,
A rainbow, nothing less.

If you were a sculpture
The clay could hardly make
Your figure of an angel
Without one mistake.

If you were a euphony
No choir could really sing
All the beautiful music
Your eyes could possibly bring.

So here I am, an artist,
With inspiration beyond belief
But to capture such rare beauty,
I'd have to be a thief.


I set the paper down and dug around the tissue paper to pull out a black book. I opened it up to the first page where it said,

I hope you see the beauty I see.


The pages to follow were pictures of me; sketches, paintings, photographs. The book was filled with different poses, different facial expressions. My mouth dropped in awe at the beauty of the artwork but when I saw intimate drawings, I was slightly scared.

I turned my head to see Patrick's jaw clenched, his face turning red.

"Pat...I have no idea what this is." He snatched the book and the letter from the bed and threw them in the trash.

"What the hell is going on, Kara?" He stood at the foot of the bed his arms crossed over his chest.

"I don't know Pat. I don't know who's sending me this stuff."

"First it's the flowers, now it's that. That was more then just fan mail. Whoever is sending you this stuff is more than just a fan. He made that clear with some of those pictures!"

"What do you want me to do, Patrick?" He huffed, running his hands through his hair. When he sat down on the bed, I came up behind him, scratching his back.

"I don't know. But I'm gonna think of something."

"Pat, you can't hire some bodyguard."

"I have to do something Kara! This pervert is sending you things. What if he approaches you? What if...what if he hurts you?"

"Pat I can take care of myself. But if it makes you feel better, I'll ask Julia to stick with me. She knows about the flowers and you know she'll keep creepers away." I know Pat wouldn't be satisfied with just Julia by my side but it was the best thing to do until things got worse...if they got worse.

"Fine. But I'm driving you to work and picking you up."

"Pat, the theatre is out of the way."

"Then I'll have Julia do it! Kara," He took my hands in his, "I can't let anything happen to you. If something did..."

"Nothings gonna happen to me, Pat. We'll get through whatever this is." I wrapped my arms around him hoping that my words are true.

---

I hadn't slept a wink last night. All of my thoughts were consumed with something terrible happening to Kara. But can you blame me? Some fucking creeper was sending inappropriate things to my fiance!

The next morning Kara called Julia to come get her. She was going to explain everything to her and hopefully Julia will help me out with keeping an eye on things.

When I got to the arena, Jon immediately started asking me questions, "What's going on Kaner?"

"Someone sent Kara another gift."

"Really?" I nodded and explained what happened last night and why I had Kara call Julia for the ride. "Look man I'm sorry. If there's anything you need, let me know." He patted my back and went to get ready for practice.

I thought this was over. This guy hasn't done anything since Kara's birthday and I thought it was done. Why would he be sending this stuff? What's he trying to do? Obviously take my fiance away from me, but this mother fucker better knock it off or I'm gonna take matters into my own hands.

After practice I walked through the lobby of the apartment to grab the mail. As I was heading for the elevator, I thought of something, "Hey Bruce." The doorman looked up at me with a smile as I approached him.

"What can I do for you Mr. Kane?"

"Did you see someone come in last night with a blue gift bag?" Bruce thought about it but shook his head.

"I'm sorry Mr. Kane, I don't recall seeing anyone with a blue gift bag. But I can check the security tape for you. There might be something on there." I smiled.

"That's perfect. If you can check between 5:30 to 11:00 last night, that would be perfect."

"I'll give you a call if I find anything."

"Thanks Bruce...Oh, and can we just keep this between us?" Bruce raised an unsure eyebrow but nodded nonetheless.

On the ride up to the apartment, I looked through the mail. Everything had Kara's name on the front of it. I had to convince myself that opening her mail would get me in trouble and that I could just wait till she got home.

I bummed around until Kara came home. She didn't say anything as she took her coat off and set her gym bag by the door. Her hair was tousled into a bun, and from the frustration on her face she was ready to curl into a ball and lock the world out.

I followed her into the bedroom where she started pulling out a change of clothes and put them in the bathroom.

"Kara, everything alright?"

"Yeah, I'm just really tired. I didn't much sleep last night and Derek was working us to the core. I thought he traded places with Jon." I chuckled.

"Well, go relax. I'll order some pizza or something. Maybe invite some of the guys over." I told her kissing the top of her head. She nodded and shut the bathroom door behind her.

I called Tazer, Corey, Sharpie, and some of the other guys to come over. Of course they expressed their excitement of seeing Kara instead of me, but they'd be over within the hour. I dialed a nearby pizza place and ordered several pizzas.

Just as I was about to clean up the living room, my cell rang, "Mr. Kane, it's Bruce. I think I got something."

"Great. I'll be down in a second." I slid on a pair of shoes and yelled to Kara that I'd be right back.

Down in the lobby, Bruce was waiting for me. He led me to the security office behind the front desk, "Took me a couple times but I think I found your man." Bruce played the tape and there he was, whoever he was, dressed in all black. He walked over to the front desk, talking to Bruce, "I remembered him when I saw this. He told me he had a delivery for Kara and asked me to sign for it."

"But he isn't holding a bag." I pointed out. Instead, he was holding a box.

"If that is the guy, he put the bag inside the box. I shouldn't of let him up, Mr. Kane. I apologize."

"That's alright Bruce."

"If I see him again, I won't let him up."

"That is, if he comes back." I thanked the doorman and headed for the elevator.

"Kaner!" Jon and Julia had just walked in as I was waiting for the doors to open. "What are you doing down here?" Julia asked.

"I asked Bruce if he had seen anyone last night with the bag. He checked the security tapes and we think we found him but he covered up pretty good." I explained.

"You think he'll come back?"

"Not if he knows what's best for him."

The rest of the boys, and the pizza, showed up soon after. We all sat around the TV watching the Sabres take on the Leafs. Of course, Julia and Kara were the loudest of us all, believe it or not, during the game. The guys tried to point out all of the mistakes the Sabres were doing but Julia and Kara stayed true to their team. Thankfully, Buffalo ended up winning which meant a happy Julia and Kara.

"How about we play a game?" Julia suggested as the post games were on.

"What kind of a game?" Corey asked.

"A good ole fashion board game." She answered proudly, "I know Kara's got some!" Julia took off down the hallway and came back with a game.

"Twister? Really Kaner?" Sharpie pointed out. The guys all laughed as Kara dropped her head onto my shoulder embarrassed. After the teasing, everyone agreed to play. We moved the furniture around and laid out the Twister mat. Abby sat with Madelyn as she was in charge of the spinner.

"Let's see just how flexible you boys really are." Kara encouraged. I slapped her ass.

"Don't encourage them." I told her.

"It's my time to shine." Corey said stepping up to the mat, stretching out his arms.

---

"Come on Crow! You cannot lose to her!" Sharpie cheered. After about an hour of competitive arguing and cheating, it was down to the two finalists; Kara and Corey.

"Don't listen to him, Kara! Show 'em what you got!" Julia yelled.

"No! None of that!" I said.

"Corey, left foot yellow." Abby instructed.

Now with the positiosn Kara and Corey were in is going to make of break the next move. Kara had her left and right hand on red, right foot on yellow and left foot on green.

Corey was stuck just above Kara, his right hand on green, left hand on yellow, and both his feet on red. Now he had to stretch his foot on a yellow spot and if he didn't do it carefully, he was gonna fall.

We watched in silence as he made the move, his body shaking as he tried to be careful but he couldn't hold it any longer. He fell, taking Kara with him.

Julia, Jon and I let out a cheer for Kara as the other guys shook their heads in disappointment. Kara was holding onto Corey as they both laughed.

"You are never living this down Crawford. You have failed us."

"Aww but it was a good try. He did good." Kara told the guys wrapping an arm around Corey.

I smiled at how easily Kara fit in with the guys. They loved her after first meeting her but four years later, they continued to adore her. She could be one of the guys or she could be like a sister to them.

When Kara was still in school, she was talking to some of the other guys. Of course she would tell me what they talked about. It was usually her comforting them after a loss or they were telling her about a prank they played on me.

She even kept in touch with players on different teams, like Crosby and some of the Penguins, a few of the Sabres after their encounter four years ago, and others here and there. When their teams would come and play us, she'd say hello and wish them good luck. She was certainly making an impact on everyone. I just wish it wasn't such a big impact that people are sending her crazy love gifts.

Oh god what am I going to do with her?
♠ ♠ ♠
Credit earned where it's deserve. I could never come up with a more perfect poem for the situation. The poem was written by Zlata S. Steere.

Things just keep getting interesting, huh? I promise it'll get somewhere and all your questions will be answered...in due time.

Thanks for reading. Keep commenting and subscribing.

With Love, <3