‹ Prequel: Life Coach
Status: Complete

Act of Kindness

Chapter 7

I tossed and turned since I first laid down in bed. I couldn't stop freaking out. My mind was going through everything making sure I knew it all. I couldn't sit still. I had to move, sitting in one spot was driving me crazy. I needed to get out of bed.

"No. Stop moving or I'll tie you to the bed."

"Pat, I can't stop moving." Pat rolled onto his side, his arm still over my stomach.

"Kara, you're going to be amazing. You've practiced everything a million and one times. I could probably play Belle, you've done it that many times. You have nothing to worry about."

"I've never done anything like this before. Maybe a college performance but...there's so many people relying on me now."

"I feel the same thing with hockey. Whenever I step onto that ice, I feel the pressure of the team, of the fans, and the Organization to do well. But when I stand on that line waiting for the faceoff to happen, it all goes away. I bet once you get on that stage, all that pressure will disappear and you'll be the greatest Belle that ever walked the earth."

"But what if I mess up?" I whispered.

"You won't. You're going to be the Patrick Kane of theatre."

"Don't you mean Sidney Crosby of theatre?" Pat's face dropped and I laughed.

"Okay...if that's how you want to be." He rolled to his other side, his back facing me.

"Oh Pat I'm just kidding. I want to be the Patrick Kane of theatre." I said kissing his neck.

"I hope you forget a line."

"Don't be like that. Sidney Crosby doesn't come close to you."

"Got that right." He replied flipping over at lightning speed and pinning me beneath him. His lips pressed to mine in a passionate kiss. When he pulled away he said, "You're going to be great Kara. Everyone will love you."

---

I kept Patrick's words in my head on my way to the theatre for my last practice before it opened the same night.

You're going to be great.

My legs felt heavy as I danced across the stage. My feet were pounding whenever I wasn't moving. My voice was getting tired as I recited every song perfectly. My brain was throbbing as I remembered all of my lines and cues. My stomach felt like it was going to come up my throat from the nerves I was feeling.

You're going to be great.

Even as I rested back in the apartment with Julia, I couldn't stop the nerves. "Here," Julia handed me a glass of orange juice and sat beside me, "How you feeling?" I groaned. "I'll take that as fantastic." She chuckled at my icing feet, legs, back, and neck. "I don't know why you're so nervous. You're gonna kill it."

"Can we please not talk about the show? The only time I want to think about it, is when I'm standing on that stage."

"Fair enough. What do you want to talk about?"

"How are you and Jon doing?"

"That's the best you could come up with? I'd prefer talking about the weather." She commented back.

"What's wrong with you and Jon?" Her tone was sarcastic. "I thought you two were fine."

"Oh we are it's just...I don't know. It's weird to explain."

"I'm use to weird. Have you not seen my life?" She cracked a grin.

"It's just, we've been together just as long as you and Pat...by like an hour or two. And you'd think that by now, maybe we'd take the next step."

"...like...marriage? Oh my god you want to marry Jonathan Toews!" Julia slapped her hand to her forehead. "Sorry, I just never thought about it." I admitted.

"Yeah, you and Tazer both."

"You guys haven't talk about it?" She shrugged.

"Not really. Like we've talked about what we want for our futures and all that but the conversation of us getting married never came up."

Seriously Tazer? Every girl in North America is dreaming of the day he asks them to marry him and the one time he gets a serious girlfriend nothing happens? That boy needs some sense knocked into him.

"And I kinda thought maybe since you and Pat are getting married, maybe it would spark something but...nothing."

"Nothing?"

"Nothing." She sighed.

"You should talk to him about it If its bothering you, you need to talk to him." She shook her head. "Do you want me to talk to him? Maybe I could get him to talk about it, see what he thinks."

"No, he's busy with playoffs and I don't want him getting distracted or whatever because if Chicago found out that Jonathan Toews was thinking about marriage instead of hockey, I'll by lynched."

"So my futures looking bright." She rolled her eyes.

"You know what I mean. He's Captain Serious. If people see him not being serious, they're gonna point fingers at me."

"Julia, he can think whatever he wants to think. Those people won't matter if Jon's making the decision to marry you. All he's gonna think about is you."

"I'm not worried about it. I might bring it up when playoffs are over with."

I starred at my friend as she picked up one of the many Bridal magazines on the coffee table and began flipping through it. Julia was seriously in love with Jon and he's being a poop! I know he feels the same way about her but why hasn't he even thought about marriage? You would seriously think Pat getting married, and he and Julia being a part of the wedding, would off set out some kind of light bulb!

But he might of thought about it and feels the same way Julia does. Maybe he thinks she doesn't want to get married. She's been stressed with the show and helping me out with the wedding. I think there's just a giant mis-communication going on here and someone needs to fix it.

"Where is my shining star?" Pat yelled as he and Jon walked through the front door.

"Crippled on the couch." Julia answered him. The boys walked over and let out a laugh as they saw me covered in ice packs.

"Jesus Kara, you'd think you played hockey or something." Jon commented, taking his spot beside Julia, throwing his arm around her, kissing her cheek.

Seriously Jon? Seriously?

"If I could stand, I'd kill you right now." For more reasons then one.

"Everyone's excited to see you tonight. I don't think I've ever seen a team of grown men so giddy to see a Disney musical." Pat said. He squeezed himself between Julia and I. I turned to rest my back against the arm of the couch and put my feet in his lap, which he gladly began to massage.

"You probably sold out the entire theatre to the Blackhawks Organization tonight. I think everyone is going." I let out a groan as Jon looked to his girlfriend for an answer, confused.

"She's nervous. Don't talk about the show." She told him. He nodded and turned his attention to the magazine on Julia's lap.

"How's the wedding planning coming?" Jon asked. He had no idea how much I wanted to leap over everyone and tell him to marry Julia.

"It's coming along. Make sure you're not busy next Wednesday. We've got cake testing." I said to all of them.

"I wouldn't miss it for the world."

"I'm sure you wouldn't." I mumbled, rolling my eyes. Men and their cake.

"Why don't you go take a shower? You'll feel better." Pat suggested taking the ice packs off my legs and setting my feet on the floor.

"Okay...but you might have to help me up." He laughed but stood nonetheless, holding his arms out for me.

I was in the shower for a good thirty minutes, letting the hot water massage my back, relaxing my muscles. You wanna know the worst thing about showers though? They give you enough time to think. And think I did. I thought about the play, singing my songs and practicing my lines. I thought about the few minutes I'd have in between scenes. I thought about how Jonathan Toews is an idiot...you know, the usual stuff.

But as I stood in front of the bathroom mirror, wrapped in a towel, I reminded myself of the best advice a loved one gave me,

You're going to be great

---

"Ms. Kara, there's someone here to see you."

"Let them in Joe." I said from my make-up chair. In the mirror I saw none over than Amanda walk through my dressing room door, "Amanda! You're here!"

"I wouldn't miss this for the world." She said coming to stand beside my chair, "I'd give you a hug but I don't want to ruin your awesome make-up."

"It's alright. So how's it going?"

"Besides the fact that I didn't sleep last night due to the excitement, good. You?"

"As good as one could be before they go on a Broadway stage."

"You'll be awesome. Is Patrick coming tonight?"

"Yeah, he's even bring the team and their families. You'd think this is a red carpet event or something." I joked.

"Well you've seen them all perform, it's time for them to be in your shoes." I smiled at the smart girl.

"Once I'm done, I'll take you on a tour, how's that sound?" She nodded and waited patiently as I finished up with my make-up.

We walked around the big stage and the different rooms backstage. I showed her the props and the other costumes. She smiled and told everyone she met to 'break a leg,' which the actors smiled big in reply. You couldn't wipe off the smile on Amanda's face with a Mr. Clean eraser.

But the one thing that wasn't hard to notice was her coughing. Whenever I visited her in the hospital, she didn't cough much, barely at all. She had to of coughed almost every five minutes, "Are you alright?" I asked after fifteen minutes.

"Oh yeah I'm fine. I just have a tickle in my throat." I grabbed her the nearest water bottle and handed it to her.

The rest of the tour consisted of her meeting everyone, giving her the chance to ask questions about their jobs and everyone kindly answered them, happy to explain their duty. Only minutes before, everyone in the cast and the crew ran around with their heads cut off, but once they stopped to talk to Amanda, it was as if all the worries and nerves disappeared.

Our last stop was back at my dressing room. She waited on the couch provided as Julia helped me dress in the starting costume for Belle. My hair was wrapped up and tucked into a hair net and my wig was placed on. Some slight touch ups to my make-up, my microphone was hooked up and I was off for some vocal warm.

While all of this was happening, Amanda just watched on, taking it all in. If Patrick was back here, he'd probably be very bored. But Amanda sat there, taping her foot to the beats, laughing as Brian and I goofed around. You could tell that one day, she wanted to be a part of this.

After saying a prayer with everyone, Amanda asked for pictures while everyone looked pretty and not sweaty. Biding everyone goodbye, I walked her to the door, "Thank you so much for letting me back here. This was amazing."

"You're more then welcome. I know for tonight, we're coming out after to see the crowd. Make sure you come and find me."

"I will, I promise. Break a leg tonight. You'll be great." I gave her a quick hug and left to get in my place.

The minutes counted down till the curtain rose. I was bouncing on the balls of my feet, trying to calm myself down.

The overture began and followed by the first scene.

The light's turned off and the scene changed. I stood behind the door and waited.

You're going to be great

The intro played and I walked through the door. The spot light bright in my eyes.

With a deep breath, I started to sing.

---

One by one the cast took a bow before the audience. I was just as I was before the show, bouncing on the balls of my feet, except it was more giddiness then nerves this time. Before I had time to think about it, my side of the stage was gestured and I walked out from behind the curtain to center stage for my bow.

You would think it was a hockey game by the way the audience was cheering, even if most of them there were hockey players.

I searched the crowd as best as I could with the lights in my eyes. Front and center was Amanda, standing, her hands clapping wildly as she smiled up at me. Then my eyes searched a little further back where rows upon rows were reserved for the Chicago Blackhawks and their families. Patrick was similar to Amanda; placed in the center of the row. I blew him a kiss from the stage then took Brian's hand for a big bow. The cast backed up for the curtain to close and as soon as it touched the ground, all of us erupted into cheers and hugs.

"Reminder: Our actors will be coming out to the main lobby for a meet and greet. Thank you for coming."

All of us freshened up and filed two-by-two to head out to the lobby. The double doors opened and we were greeted with more cheers. Brian and I took our place off to the side where people were lined up waiting for pictures and autographs.

I couldn't wipe the smile off my face as I posed for pictures and signed the programs for different ages. Many little girls were dressed similar to me in Belle's ball gown and I would laugh when they told me I was their favorite princess. Something I have never been told before. Eat your heart out Kate Middleton.

"Jimmy, you made it!" I said to the teenager as he stepped up next in line.

"I wouldn't have missed this for the world." He replied giving me a hug. He handed his camera to someone to take a picture with me. "You did really great, Kara."

"Thanks Jimmy, that means a lot." He reached inside his coat pocket and pulled out a white and pink lily, "How did you know these are my favorite?" I asked bringing the flower to my nose.

"Lucky guess." He shrugged. "I'll see you around Kara." I leaned in and kissed his cheek. His face turned a darker shade of color just before he walked off.

More families approached Brian and I before Amanda was next in line, followed by my hockey family. My already big bouquet of roses grew as each player and their family handed me a rose to the point that I had to hand them to Brian to hold.

But when Pat walked up to me, moving Brian away from my side, he wrapped me in a hug, "There's the real Beauty and the Beast. Kiss her Kaner!" Sharpie started and the guys continued to chant until Patrick finally gave in and kissed me.

"That a boy Kaner!"

"Alright, alright I need to get going." I told them, "I'll see you in a bit." I kissed Pat's cheek and walked with Brian to change. Patrick was the only one waiting for me when I exited out the backdoor.

Now only if I could walk out every door to see him standing there, leaning against his car, his arms crossed in front of his chest. His sleek suit complimenting the build beneath the layers, hidden from the world. The fabric straining tightly around his shoulders and biceps. His blazing blue eyes were on me as I walked towards him, stopping with just enough room to let him stand up straight and put his arms around me.

"I told you, you'd do amazing."

"I should listen to you more often." He smirked. One hand rested against my cheek as he pulled my lips towards his in a more passionate touch than before. Our lips molded perfectly together as we displayed to the dark night how much love we had for one another. If it wasn't for the reminder that our friends were waiting at the restaurant for us, I would've considered speeding home.

---

"Pat stop. Someone might see." I giggled as we stepped off the elevator on our floor.

Pat was getting a little handsy due to the fact he decided to have one more glass of wine at dinner. Let's just say, I had to drive home.

"No one will know if you stop talking and come here." He smirked tugging my arm and bringing me into his chest. He walked me backwards to our door but instead of going inside, he pushed me against the wall, one arm leaning against the wall and the other sliding low down my waist. As much as I didn't want him to stop kissing me like this, we had to get out of the hallway. But Pat had other plans.

His lips traveled down to my neck finding that one spot that gave me goosebumps. My hands argued with me as it decided to grab a fist full of his shirt and pull him closer to me and not grab the key from my purse.

"How about we take this inside?" I whisper as Pat continued to devour my neck.

"I like the way you think." He grinned.

Patrick stepped to the side but wasn't expecting to knock down a large, blue gift bag, "What the--Oh fuck no!" He picked the bag up and looked through it, pulling out an envelop. While he was trying to tear the paper away, I opened the door and let us in so a scene wasn't made in the hallway.

Pat pulled the paper out and read it aloud,

Lots of beauty,
In this world,
A world of beauty,
In which beauty is all.
But in particular,
You stand out most,
The most beautiful in this world,
In which beauty is all.
You make others,
Look dull,
In the presence of your beauty,
In a world in which beauty is all.
Everyone tries but fails,
To look as beautiful as you,
Because of the vanity in this world,
In which beauty is all.
I love you,
As does every other man,
I just want you to know,
I don’t think beauty is all.

You were beautiful tonight Kara. If anyone could have portrayed pure beauty, it was you. I love you and I hope one day you'll learn to love me. I will give you anything your heart desires and more until the day I die."


Without a care, Patrick turned the bag over and out came something wrapped in blue tissue paper and another envelop. Pat reached for the gift while I picked up the other and waited as he tore through the paper. From what I could see, he was holding a canvas and from the look on his face it wasn't your normal Mona Lisa painting.

"Pat, what is it?" He dropped the painting to the floor and stormed out the door, slamming it on the way.

I slowly approached canvas as if it you pop up on its own and attack. My fingers grabbed hold of the edge, and with a breath, I turned it over. I stumbled back a few steps, my hand covering my mouth in fear and disgust of the painting.

In the center of the canvas was me from the hips and up, naked. My body drawn with creepily accurate detail, my head thrown back in pleasure as a dark haired figure stood behind me kissing my neck. One hand wrapped around and up, grasping my chest while the other wrapped low, just covering my pelvis.

To the top right was a man sitting in a chair appearing to be tied to it, his mouth covered as his tear filled eyes watched the beings in front of him. The man's blonde hair and the giant Blackhawk on the his chest was the indication that it was Patrick tied to the chair, watching as another man made love to me.

The detail to the painting was haunting and just looking at it made me sick. I shut my eyes to hide the picture and to stop the scared tears that were falling.

This was similar to the little book that was sent before. The technique was the same along with the fantasy of me being intimate with whoever this dark haired man was.

Why wasn't this stopping? Why won't this man leave me alone? What had I done that created this erotic imagery? At first, it all seemed harmless; a simple love note and flowers. The book was pushing it but this...this was the first thing that showed the torture this man wanted Patrick in. He was torturing Patrick and enjoying it. This man knows that even if he can't see his face, he knows Patrick is fuming about it. He's taunting Patrick, and he'll continue until he's stopped.

Patrick? I remembered that Patrick's name was on the second envelop. I quickly grabbed it and opened it, unfolding the paper,

You don't deserve her. You never have. And until you realize that you're never going to be good enough for her, I will continue torturing you. Kara is mine. She belongs in my bed. She belongs in my arms. She deserves a real man to caress her in all the right places. You think you can make her happy? You're a fool. I know what she likes and I'll give it to her. I'll make her feel pleasure like she's never felt before. You won't compare. Just accept the fact you will never love Kara as much as I do. And I will continue to love her until the day I die. Enjoy the gifts Patrick because until you give her up, they'll continue and they'll just get more personal."


I threw the paper with the devil's canvas. This fucking stalker was trying to separate Patrick and I. He was trying to get under Pat's skin to push him away...and he was succeeding. He's jeopardizing my relationship with Patrick to be with me.

What the fuck am I suppose to do?
♠ ♠ ♠
Pretty creepy right? Good, it's suppose to be. Hopefully this one kinda makes up for the last boring chapter.

The poem I used is not mine, I found it here

So remember that one story I mention a friend and I are writing? Well we started it and got two chapters up! You should go take a look if you're finding yourself with nothing to read. It's called The Beginning to the End. It's about two girls who take a road trip around North America to the 30 hockey cities. They'll have an opportunity of a lifetime and make some new friends on the way. Check it out, it will be greatly appreciated. If it's good tell the world, if not...well just keep that to yourself or you can send me a comment. Whatever works with you.

Thanks for reading, subscribing, and commenting!

With Love, <3