‹ Prequel: Life Coach
Status: Complete

Act of Kindness

Chapter 8

I have never eaten so much cake in my life. And they weren't even full cakes, just little samples of them. I am seriously considering giving the guests ice cream instead of cake.

"I can't eat another bite." Jon complained, pushing his bite size chocolate cake away from him. Julia reached over and took his last piece.

"I don't know if I could ever look at cake again." Pat added with a mouthful of cake. I nodded my head thinking the same thing.

"So what'll it be?" The baker asked when he returned from the back.

"I think we'll go with the marble." I told him.

"And particular design?"

"Just in blue and white with lilies." He nodded, scribbling it down.

"Do you want one big cake?"

"No, we need 19 little ones. One for each table." He smiled and added it to his list. We scheduled another appointment for me to stop by and see some of the different designs for the mini cakes.

"So what's next on the list?" Jon asked rubbing his stomach.

"I need to go check something. Maybe you can come with me, Julia." Julia looked up at Pat, eyebrow raised as she swallowed the piece in her mouth.

"Um, sure?"

"I guess you're with me Jonny boy." Jon let out a sarcastic 'yay!' and led me to his SUV.

"Where too?"

"Windy City Diamonds." He nodded and drove in that direction.

Taking Jon to a jewelry store was the perfect time to ask him about Julia. Now it's just working it into a conversation..."So...how's things in the life of Jonathan Toews?"

"They're alright."

"Good...How's hockey treating you?"

"Um, it's fine."

"And how are things between you and Julia?"

"What are you getting at Kara?" He asked looking over at me as we waited for the light to change green.

"Can't a girl just ask about her friends? Geez!" I huffed crossing arms. Jon chuckled and drove off.

When we arrived at the jewelry store, we were greeted by a saleswoman, "How can I help you two?"

"I'm here to pick up my rings." I gave her my name and began to roam the store as she went to the back.

As I was making a mental Christmas list for Patrick, I noticed Jon casually glancing down at the engagement rings. Behind his back I did a slight crazy-happy dance then stopped and went to his side, "That's a pretty one." I said pointing at a simple silver ring with a heart cut diamond.

"Yeah...it's nice..."

"Jon, is everything okay?" He let out a defeated sigh. Did he seriously think he could hide this from me? Silly, silly man.

"I've thought about it." He mumbled.

"Thought about what?"

"Asking her to marry me," He said a little louder. I had to keep my inner fangirl down, "But sometimes I think she doesn't want too."

"Oh Jon, trust me when I say, she's crazy about you. She loves you so much."

"I know and I do too but we've never talked about it. I don't know what's she's thinking." I gestured him to come closer as if I had a big secret to tell.

"She's thinking, 'When's he going to ask me?!'" Jon gave a nervous smile, scratching the back of his neck.

"But things are so busy right now with playoffs, and you and Kaner getting married."

"And she knows that. Jon, she doesn't want you to do anything you're not sure of."

"I'm sure I'm going to marry her, I just don't know when."

"Asking her is a tad different then actually getting married. If you ask her, she'll know that she's yours. If you want, I'll send you two to Vegas if you want. Make it quick." I teased.

"No. I want a real wedding. I want what you and Kaner have."

"But you can't get that...until you ask her."

"Ms. Harrison, here are your rings." I left Jon and met the saleswoman halfway. She had me try on the ring, which fit perfectly.

As she wrapped the rings up in a box, Jon asked, "Excuse me? Can I see this ring?"

---

"Is he really?" I nodded as Amanda clapped her hands together excitedly. I had explained what happened in the jewelry store a week ago. "I'm so happy for her! Do you know when he's gonna do it?"

"He didn't say. He might wait till hockey's over or he could be doing it right now."

"That's so exciting! Captain Serious getting married! And she has no idea?"

"Nope. I've been sworn to secrecy too. I had to tell someone though." I admitted.

"My lips are sealed. So how's the show been going?"

"It's going good. The theatre is always packed. I've been getting crazy amounts of fan mail. I love it."

"Well you did amazing opening night. I'm sure you're continuing to be be awesome. Have you read what the critics say?" I shook my head.

"I'm trying to stay away from those."

"What? Why? They're nothing but praises for your performance. Here," She got off the bed and pulled something out from under the bed, "I was going to show this to you later on but you need to see what these people are saying about you." She dumped newspaper clippings onto the bed and picked one up.

Tale is as old as time when it comes to Chicago's Broadway opening night performance of the classic tale of Beauty and the Beast. I've never seen such a performance of this musical since Susan Egan was on the Broadway stage playing the leading heroine. Kara Harrison, a graduate from Nazareth College in Rochester, NY, could have fooled anyone with her first time Broadway show. Before this, she had been working backstage as the Assistant Backstage Manager. Now, she's a star. I hope to see her in more shows in the years to come. Sources say she is currently engaged to Chicago Blackhawk right winger, Patrick Kane. They are planning to marry this coming summer."

"I couldn't believe my hears when I heard that Kara Harrison had never performed on stage since this past Friday's opening production of
Beauty and the Beast. Her voice was a true gift from God; beautiful and angelic. And her performance of the popular Disney Princess was beyond superb. She brought this character to life as she sang and dance with her fellow cast members. Harrison's presence on the stage made you feel as if you were watching the movie. There is one thing I don't understand about this rising star; why is she not in the big times?"

Amanda read me several others, all of them saying the same thing and asking the same question; "Why isn't she in New York City?"

Sensing my frustration Amanda said, "They don't understand. Your place is here with Patrick. Besides...you're too good for New York City." She teased.

"Amanda, it's time to take your medication." Mrs. Brown said walking into the hospital room. Amanda nodded and gathered her articles, climbing into bed.

"I'll stop by next time I have a day off." I told her.

"No rush. You just beast on stage and let me know how the weddings going. Tell Jon I said 'congrats.'" I smiled at her and patted her hand. I watched as the nurse interested the medication into the IV tube and Amanda's eyes shut in a peaceful sleep.

"The doctor says she's not doing too good." Mrs. Brown started "She's been getting weaker. Her body will respond to the medication for only a little bit. I just wanted to warn you. You've been so good to her and she looks up to you. But in case...something happens to her--"

"Don't. She'll be fine Mrs. Brown. She's a strong girl." Her mother nodded, wiping away the tears. "I need to go. You have my number if anything happens." She squeezed my hand and let me leave.

I hadn't really thought about what would happen to Amanda. The 'what ifs' were what I wanted to stay away from but they were bound to be asked. I couldn't imagine what would happen if she...no. I'm not going to think about it. Amanda's a strong young woman and she'll push through. She's got so much planned for her future.

I helped her apply for colleges in hope that she'll get better by then. All of her choices were theatre colleges. She sent in her portfolio and I wrote her a recommendation letter. Now we were just waiting for the results.

But I guess they weren't the only results that had us on the edge of our seats.

---

"What are all these house ads for?" I asked Pat.

I had returned from my 10th performance in the past weeks since opening night to Patrick laying on the bed surrounded by home ads.

"I'm looking for a house."

"What's wrong with the apartment?" I walked into the closet to hang my purse up and put my shoes away.

"Kara...there's a stalker sending us stuff. If we move, he won't know where we are."

"So we're getting a house? Pat, I can't afford a house right now. Maybe after a couple more performances." I looked over at Pat who was giving me a dumb look.

"I've got it covered." I gathered a clean pair of pajamas and set them in the bathroom.

"No, no. I'm not letting you pay for everything. I want to help."

"You can help. But right now, I just want a home where the only sexual pictures in this house are between you and me."

"But I can't afford a house."

"I'll make a deal with you," He got off the bed and walked towards me in the bathroom doorway, "Let me buy the house. You can pay for the groceries and all that, and when you've performed your little heart out and made a fortune for your shows, we'll split the cost."

"How about I pay for a third of it and when I get more money I'll work up to the half?" Pat knew I wasn't going to back down. He knew better than to argue with me when it comes to our finances.

"Deal. Now come pick out our future house." He said with the biggest grin on his face.

"Can I take a shower first? I still have make-up on my face."

"How about I help you with that?" He offered, wiggling his eyebrows before he pushed me back into the bathroom and shut the door.

---

"Good work everyone. It was certainly a successful night. Be ready to come back tomorrow and do it all over again." The cast and crew groaned just thinking about making the same moves, saying the same lines, and singing the same notes tomorrow night.

It's been a month since the show opened and people continue to buy tickets. We hadn't sold out a show since the first couple of performances but the theatre wasn't bare either.

"Hey Kara, we're gonna go out for a drink. You wanna come?" Brian asked when I walked out of the dressing, changed into a comfy pair of sweats.

"I can't I need to get home. Wedding stuff." Brian nodded, smiling.

"Okay, next time maybe." I promised to join them another time and headed to my car.

When I swung the back door open, I was surprised to see Pat standing there pacing, "Pat? What are you doing here?"

"Kara, thank god."

"Pat what's wrong?"

"We need to go." He said ushering me into his car.

"Go? Go where?"

"There's no time to explain." He shut my door and ran around to climb into the drivers seat. When he didn't make the right turn to go home, I began to worry.

"Patrick, what's going on?"

"You left your phone at home--"

"Yeah I know."

"You got a phone call." Panic was obvious in his voice.

"From who?" He hesitated. His knuckles were white as he gripped the steering wheel and flew past the other cars. "Pat, you're scaring me. What's wrong?"

"It's...Amanda."
♠ ♠ ♠
Another day, another chapter. Hope it was alright.

Keep reading, commenting, and subscribing!

With love, <3