Status: A new chapter every day (:

Christmas and Wrapping Paper

Chapter 1

“You’re flying to New York?” I cried, fingernails digging into my palms, leaving little half-moons behind. “At least take me with you.”

“Honey, there’s no place for children where I’m going. It’s not like I can just leave at the hotel all day.” My dad reasoned, stuffing another button up shirt into his bag. “And why would you even want to go to New York? All those people and all the noise, I just don’t see the appeal.”

“Dad!” I nearly yelled, becoming exasperated with his ignorance. “Haven’t you ever watched a Christmas movie that took place in New York? You know, with all the lights hung from nearly every building, the huge Christmas tree in the middle of Time Square. People scurrying, trying to get last minute shopping in!” I took a deep breath, calming myself. “You travel all the time, but I’ve never even been out of California.”

An almost pained look crossed his face before it changed to a pondering one. “I’ll let you go on one condition.” He started, shoving pair after pair of socks into his over-loaded bag.

I nearly jumped out of my own skin at his willingness to negotiate. I tried to play it cool, but on the inside, my organs were all flipping and blowing confetti everywhere. “Yes?” I encouraged.

“You can come with me if…,” he trailed off dramatically, struggling to zip his blob of a suitcase.

“Dad!” I whined.

“If you do some charity work while we’re there.” He finished.

“Charity work?” I spat, top lip curling at the thought.

“It’d do you good to see how fortunate you are. Don’t think I notice what you take for granted.” He arched an eyebrow condescendingly.

“I can’t do charity work! Anyone who needs charity is dirty. I can’t be surrounded by a bunch of dirty people!” I shrieked. I couldn’t believe this stipulation he’d put into place.

“Chris.” My dad started, his tone final. “Do we have a deal?”

I let my mind run to what I’d seen on TV about people doing charity work. They always looked so unhappy, that is except for the freaks who actually like helping people. Ew. I couldn’t even bear the thought. What kind of charity work could I do?

“What kind of charity work did you have in mind?” I asked, sitting down on his bed to help him get the zipper the rest of the way around.

“I have a friend who’s mother runs an orphanage. I can give her a call.” He explained. “So do we have a deal?”

I sat there, absentmindedly playing with the zipper that I’d helped nudge until it was at the end, twisting the cool piece of metal between my fingers. I didn’t take things for granted, did I? I mean, I’d never been out of California. I’d never been in a plane. I’d never seen it snow! How spoiled could I be?

Whatever it’d take to get me to New York.

“We have a deal.” I nodded, getting up to give him a quick hug before running off to my room. I had a lot of packing to do if we were going to be gone the whole two weeks of Christmas Break.

***

“You’re kidding, right?” My friend, Kennedy, laughed after I told her about the traumatic event I experienced yesterday.

“I’m not.” I shook my head solemnly.

“You’re not spoiled.” Another chuckled as she speared a chunk of lettuce and ate it. “You’re like, the least spoiled girl I know.”

“I know, right?” I agreed. I was still excited for New York though. Just think, tomorrow I’d be on a plane for the first time. I’d be in a different state for the first time, on the other side of the country. Maybe I’d even see it snow! But I’d have to take care of a bunch of heathens. Sticky, filthy, screaming heathens.

“You’d better bring me back something good!” She warned, pointing her fork at me as she did so. “Maybe a snow globe…,” she trailed off.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you liked this~! Make sure to subscribe to know when we update each day (: Thanks for reading.

~Kylie