Status: A new chapter every day (:

Christmas and Wrapping Paper

Chapter 17

Nick had me occupy Wrapping Paper while he wrapped the presents she didn’t know we got. I lead her into the living room, looking for something for us to do. I spotted the Star on the coffee table in front of the couch. Perfect.

“You’re lucky.” I told her. “You get to put the star on top of the tree.”

“Why does that make me lucky?”

“It’s the most important part!” I explained excitedly. “It’s like the final touch.”

I handed her the star before lifting her delicately so she could reach the top of the tree. I heard a shutter noise, like someone was taking a picture. I whipped around to the door where I found Nick standing, holding an old camera. A mischievous smile graced his face as he lowered the camera, pulling the picture from it’s slot. He shook it out a bit before looking at it. I set Wrapping Paper down to see what Nick had just taken a picture of.

“What was that?” I asked, hands on my hips. He turned the picture toward me and the scowl on my face dropped, as well as my hands from my hips.

He had taken a picture of Wrapping Paper and I. It reminded me of something from a magazine. Like an older sister helping her younger sister put the star on the tree.

Maybe this was what Christmas was really supposed to feel like. Like you don’t even care about presents anymore, you just want to spend time with the ones you love. I know I’d only been here for about a week now, but I couldn’t stop myself from loving Nick and Wrapping Paper. Just like the siblings I always wanted.

“Do you want it?” He asked. I shook my head eagerly in response. I’d keep it forever-- I’d even get it framed-- so I could remember all the fun I had here. Here in New York.

“Where’d you get the camera?” I asked.

“When I was younger, and Mr. Higgins was still alive, I told Mrs. Higgins that I wanted to be a photographer. That year for my birthday, they got me a camera. I mean, this was pretty high tech then. Don’t judge.”

“No, I like it.” I shook my head, glancing back down at the picture in my hands. “It’s got more of a vintage feel. It’s great.”

“Chrisy.” Wrapping Paper called from the couch. “What about the star?”

“Right.” I laughed. I’d forgotten all about that.

“I got it.” Nick smiled, handing me his camera. He scooped the 7 year old up, lifting her like I did, so she could get the star on the tree. I quickly brought the camera to my face, looked through the lens, and clicked a picture of the pair. The picture peeked out from the slot and I pulled it the rest of the way out, fanning it like Nick had.

I peered down at the picture, and to my amazement, this picture was even better than the one Nick took.

“Hey!” Nick protested. “Give me that back.” He stepped toward me menacingly after setting Wrapping paper down. I ran from him, dodging his arms.

“Can’t catch me!” I taunted.

“I will catch you!” He yelled after me. “Ooph!”

I turned around to see what happened and nearly fell on the floor laughing.

“Sorry Mrs. Higgins.” He apologized, cheeks red as the decorations.

“It’s okay.” She assured, smoothing her skirt and jacket. “Just don’t let it happen again. I’m old. I’ll probably break a hip next time.” A small chuckle left her lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well this chapter was a little longer. I think it was more of a filler chapter... but there have been a lot of those. When you have to write a chapter every day, you loose a little of your charm xD

~Kylie