Status: A new chapter every day (:

Christmas and Wrapping Paper

Chapter 18

Little gasps and squeals of delight rang out as fifteen children walked into a room of Christmas magic. Beautiful lights of all sorts hung across every surface in the living room. Tinsel of every color I could possibly imagine were strewn over every table, couch, and chair. Wreaths hung on the doors and snowflakes hung on the walls. 

But I knew that the children weren't looking at any of those things. They were all staring at the massive Christmas tree in the center of the room. Actually, more precisely, they were staring at the loads of presents planted in deliberate places under the tree.  

"Are those for us?" A child of about six inquired. 

I smiled and nodded, Nick broke out into a goofy grin and stated, "Of course." 

A collective intake of breath played through the crowd as the children studies the room. Oohs and aahs and delighted whispers mingled with Jingle Bells giving the old creaky orphanage a joyous atmosphere. I bet it was something that had been absent for years. 

Everybody's hate for Wrapping Paper was forgotten for the time being, I don't think anything could have made me happier. 

***

As we sat at dinner that night, a flurry of discussion overtook the kids. Everybody was oozing excitement as they pondered what could be underneath the hastily wrapped paper. 

No body even seemed to notice Wrapping Paper and it was the first time that I had ever seen the girl smiling when the hoer children were around. I caught her eye and winked as Nick flashed her a thumbs up. 

We had given her a quick preview of some of the toys intended for the other kids, not hers of course. She had promised to zip her mouth shut and throw away the key, for fear of ruining someone else's Christmas surprise.  

I tried to suppress a smile that was so obviously playing across my lips. The thought of these kids having the best Christmas ever, partially because of me, warmed my heart to a melting point. 
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay so... I don't know what to put so... Bye!
~Regan