Status: A new chapter every day (:

Christmas and Wrapping Paper

Chapter 19

“Are you ever going to tell me you real name?” I asked Wrapping Paper as we sat on the roof of the orphanage, drinking our hot chocolate. I readjusted the blanket that was splayed over both of us to get more comfortable. I stared ahead, waiting for her to answer, taking in the beauty that lay before me. The sun was setting, turning the sky a bright pink color as more building lights started to flick on.

“Maybe right before you leave.” She shrugged, taking a sip of her chocolate drink. “I kind of like being called Wrapping Paper. It makes me feel unique and special, you know?”

“I know.” I nodded, in response. “Growing up after my mom died was really bad. I mean, I know my dad loved me and all, but I didn’t understand that when I was little. I was so hurt that he never had time for me and it’s not like I had siblings. I always became friends with the help. Every one of them were good people with amazing stories.” I explained.

“Well I grew up without parents too.” She challenged.

“But you have Mrs. Higgins and Nick. Not to mention those 14 other little kids who I’m sure would love to be your friend. There’s never a boring day in this place.” I told her.

“Obviously my parents didn’t love me.” She mumbled. I gasped at her sudden turn of subject.

“Of course they loved you! Why do you think they dropped you off here? They obviously couldn’t support you by themselves but they wanted you to have a good life.”

“I guess I never thought of it that way.” She admitted, boring holes into he cup.

“I never thought of it that way either.” A masculine voice agreed. I turned around to where Nick stood on the ladder, checkered blanket around his shoulders.

“What are you doing up here?” I asked, raising and eyebrow.

“I come bearing baked goods.” He declared, raising them for us to see. “But if you don’t want any….,” he started lowering down. “And Mrs. Higgins’s cookies are the best.”

“Wait.” I called to him, his head popping back up immediately. “Get your but up here and share. Because sharing is caring, right Wrapping Paper?” She nodded.

“I new it. You just wanted me for my goods.” He shook his head like he was ashamed. I laughed at the double entendre, a goofy grin claiming my lips.

“What’s so funny?” Wrapping Paper asked, looking between Nick and I ask he climbed onto the roof, scooting his way in between us with the tray of oatmeal raisin cookies. My mouth watered.

“You’ll understand when you’re older.” I told her. I always hated that answer when I was a kid, but now I understood why adults always said it.

“Here, have a cookie.” Nick said, nearly shoving it down her throat when she opened her mouth to question further.

I took one for myself, devouring the delicious treat in 3 bites. Nick eyed me cautiously as if I’d just eaten a baby.

“Slow down speed racer.” He chuckled. I smiled cheekily, showing the little bits of cookie left behind on my teeth, mocking him.

“These cookies are the best I’ve ever had.” I stated, grabbing another one.

“I can see that.” He pointed out, wrapping his free arm around my shoulders. I hadn’t realized how cold I was until his warm around snaked around me. I shivered against the touch, pulling the blanket closer, but still made sure Wrapping Paper had some.

This was another tender moment, one I knew I’d never have back home. I had no one to share it with because, now that I think about it, Kennedy only started being my friend after I went out with Landon Blakes. He was the token popular guy of the school in 7th grade. Kennedy and I aren’t even that close now. We’ve never gotten into anything deeper than favorite colors. She’s just a friend of convenience, you know. I never had to do labs or partner assignments with some stranger.

I let out a soft sigh, reveling in the moment, willing it to last a bit longer. I snuggled sleepily into Nick’s shoulder, the cookies warming and filling my stomach. My Styrofoam hot chocolate cup was long forgotten as a light breeze whipped at our exposed skin.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hehe! Landon... if anyone caught the reference, you are a true fan. I've reincarnated him! Mwahaha! I'm a necromancer! Anyway, hope you enjoyed the chapter. Keep up the nice comments, the subscribing, and all around support. You guys are just amazing :D

~Kylie