Status: A new chapter every day (:

Christmas and Wrapping Paper

Chapter 23

"I should be getting to bed now too." Nick stated, quickly hurrying off. His bare feet slapped against the wood floor and up the stairs like rapid gunfire, mimicking the pounding of my heart. It started to slow though, when I just stopped thinking about it. It was just one if those moments you almost feel ashamed of, one that you push so far back into a corner of your brain, it pretty much disappears like your right shoe when you're about to leave. Except this kind of disappearance is a little less inconvenient, exactly the opposite.

I turned around, staring into the living room, admiring out work. It was beautiful.
“Goodnight.” I mumbled to myself, knowing he couldn’t hear me.

“You shouldn’t talk to yourself, you know.” A familiar voice mocked. I whipped around, heart rate accelerating at the scare, to see Henry, rubbing his eyes sleepily.

“I wasn’t talking to myself.” I stated, placing my hands on my hips. “I was saying goodnight to… to the house.”

“Lame!” He joked, slinging an arm around my shoulders. “What are you still doing up?”

“Nothing. I just don’t feel like being in the same room as Nick at this particular moment.” I replied, shaking his arm off.

“Yes!” He whispered, fist pumping into the air. “So you’re, like, free now?”

“Number one, I’ve been free this whole time. Nick and I have always and will only ever be friends. And two, I don’t date younger guys.” I told him warily, leaning on the doorframe. The excitement he held for only a minute left his face. “So what are you doing up?” I asked, changing the subject.

“Awful insomnia.” He admitted. “It keeps getting worse.”

“I’m sorry.” I patted his head. “I had a problem with that too, after my mom passed away. They put me on medication that made me blow up like a balloon.” I scowled at the memory. “You should try really hard to sleep though. Christmas is tomorrow.”

“I know that, dummy.” He scoffed. “I’m not stupid, like you.”

“Oh, now you’ve just gone too far.”

***

Squeals erupted as the children trailed behind me into the living room. They ran to the tree, presents flying in every direction as everyone tried to find their presents. Soon, the sound of paper ripping and laughter filled the room too, adding to the perfect chaos.

“Thank you, Chris.” Wrapping Paper smiled, hugging my legs. I picked her up, hugging her back. “Please don’t leave tomorrow.” She begged.

“I have to.” I told her. That made me think back to yesterday with my dad and the wrapping paper. He was supposed to get adoption papers from Mrs. Higgins and bring them back today.

“Would you mind if I borrowed Chris for a minute?” Nick asked Wrapping Paper. She shook her head and I set her down.

“Did you need something?” I asked.

“Yeah, I have a present for you.” He said. “But if you’re going to be like that.”

“Darn right, I’m going to be like that. I didn’t get you anything.” I walked away, starting to pick wrapping paper remains off the floor.

“Wait, I’m really excited to give it to you.” He whined, pulling my back by my shoulder. I huffed out a sighed, balling the wrapping paper up, and exchanged it with Nick for the present.

It was a little box, wrapped clumsily, as if by a little kid. Nick’s cheeks got pink when I noticed, but it just made me laugh. He was too much like a child, I know I should have expected that sort of thing.

I unwrapped it, allowing him to take it from me and add it to our pile. I opened the little box and inside was a locket. A thin silver chain was strung through delicate heart. Nick was looking nervous, biting his lip, trying to gauge my reaction. I smiled for his sake, so he didn’t puncture his lip trying to figure out if I liked it or not.

“Let me put it on you.” He smiled, long fingers taking in from the box. He brought it around my neck and clasped it with ease. When he let go, it hung mid-chest.

“It’s beautiful.” I breathed, an actual smile claiming my lips. “I hope it didn’t cost too much.”

“It didn’t cost me a thing.” He assured.

“Nick you didn’t-,”

“No, I didn’t steal it. I found it in with Mr. Higgins’s stuff. Mrs. Higgins let me keep it so I could give it to you.”

“I love it. I’ll always wear it. It’ll remind me of my time here.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey! Like Regan said, we compromised no romance. It's killing me, just so you know. But no matter how much you hope, a Christmas miracle is not going to happen and get Chris and Nick together. Mmk? I hope you're all having a wonderful holiday season :3

~Kylie