Status: A new chapter every day (:

Christmas and Wrapping Paper

Chapter 5

"This is the bedroom." He pointed, allowing me through the creaky door.

I turned around before stepping in all the way. "Surely there's more than one-," I was trying to say. Nick grabbed my chin, forcing me to look into the room. It was horrific. 15 beds all crammed into one room with peeling wall paper and one, dirty, barred window.

"As you were saying?" He arched an eyebrow.

I shook my head, not believing this. I never believed places like this were real, but now, oh how naive I felt. I almost felt bad for living the lifestyle I did. I shrugged it off. I was only going to be here for another 13 days. Don't get attached or involved, I told myself.

"What else is there?" I asked eagerly, pushing past Nick, out of the room.

"Whoa there." He said, reaching out to grab my arm and pull me back to him. He pulled me too hard, sending me flying into his chest. He steadied me, grasping my shoulders firmly, amber eyes searching my emerald ones. "Something wrong?" He asked, concern etched into his features.

"It's just... never mind." I shook my head again, wandering down the hallway.

"Never minding something means that I never minded it. As in the thought never crossed my mind. But since it did, what is it?"

"I'm not confiding in a guy I just met. Especially one that's not interested in me." I teased before walking down the hallway and into a random room.

I heard a soft chuckle, followed by heavy footfalls. He peeked his head in through the door frame. It seemed like a habit was forming.

"I never said I wasn't interested. I just said I wasn't hitting on you."

"So what's this room used for?" I asked casually, hoping he wouldn't notice my sly change of subject.

"Just storage." He shrugged, motioning toward the boxes. "Mister and Misses Higgins used to live here together until... well nature took it's course on Mr. Higgins. This is all his stuff."

My jaw dropped. "Let me get this straight." Nick nodded. "The children are all crammed into one room, and yet Mrs. Higgins feels the need to keep every morsel of her dead husband's belongings?"

"You got it." He announced like a game show host.

An idea popped into my head that nearly made me jump up and down. I kept it to myself though. I promised myself I wouldn't get attached or involved. So I wouldn't.

I exited the room, Nick following obediently.

“So… what brought you here?” He inquired, trailing lazily behind me as I made my way back to the kitchen.

“I…er…the kids.” I lied.

“So it wasn’t a stipulation?” He asked, arching an eyebrow.

I laughed nervously. “’Course not.” I swatted the air casually. “What would make you think that?”

“Oh I don’t know…,” he trailed off, looking to the side before whipping his head back to face me dramatically. “Maybe it was the fact that I listened in on Mrs. Higgins’s and your dad’s phone conversation.”

“You little-,”

“Hey lady.” A squeaky voice interrupted. I felt a little hand tugging on my pant leg. I looked down and nearly melted the doe eyes peering up at me. They were a familiar shade of amber…

“Hey buddy.” Nick smiled brilliantly, lifting the little boy by the armpits so he could wrap his legs around his waste.

“That’s your brother.” I stated.

“Sure is.” He replied, blowing raspberries into the boy’s stomach.

“I’m this many.” He told me after his fit of laughter, holding up four fingers.

“This is Sam.” He introduced.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you enjoyed. Subscribe! Check out my other stories and like my FB page, if you'd like (:

~Kylie