*** in the Dark

Jada

As I jogged toward the theatre I wondered what Marty could’ve been trying to tell me. Gritting my teeth I pushed that thought out of my mind. Right now I just had to find Belle, tell her Marty was ok, and then get to the phone. I reached the front entrance to the theatre and pushed open the heavy door. I could still hear the commotion, people arguing from the sounds of it. It sounded as if it was coming all the way from where the screen was. Carefully I made my way down the aisle. The little lights down the sides were on and they bathed the floor in a sickly yellow glow.

Just then a hand grabbed my wrist. I gasped and pulled away, my heart leaping into my throat. I looked down into the seat by my right. Chandler slowly looked into my face, his eyes glazed over. I could visibly see his face in the dimly lit theatre, seeing as it was a deathly white. He tried to tell me something but as soon as he opened his mouth, blood gushed down his chin. I put my hand to my mouth in shock and turned away, not wanting to see anymore. I continued my way towards the sound of people arguing. My eyes were beginning to adjust and as they did I could see the two figures. They seemed to be grappling over something and as I moved closer I saw that it was Belle and Nicole that were fighting.
Nicole had a fistful of Belle’s hair and I could see the pain in Belle’s eyes.

Oh my god, I thought, it’s Nicole. She’s the killer.

Without another thought, I ran to where the two girls were still struggling and ripped Nicole off of Belle.

“NO!” I heard Chandler manage to choke out, but I paid no attention.

“Jada, you stupid bitch!” Nicole managed to scream out before Belle came up behind her and slit her throat.

I jumped back as her body crumpled and almost landed on top of me. I looked at her, as she twitched and then lay still. I could hear Chandler softly sobbing in the background as I looked up into Belle’s grinning face.

“Thanks for that Jada. That’s why we’re best friends.” She said, going to put her arm around my shoulder.

I flinched away, my stomach heaving. I sobbed as I thought about Marty. She had killed him. I felt my stomach churn as I thought about her kissing the blood from his face.

Just then Jason burst through the back entrance to the theatre and ran to stand behind Belle.

“No Jason!” I screamed, “she’s the killer! It was her...all her...”

Calmly he put his hands on her shoulders.

“Is that everyone?” he asked.

“Almost.” She replied, looking at me, a twisted gleam in her eyes.

“Please Belle, I won’t tell anyone. Just...just don’t hurt me.” I begged, my heart jumping around in my chest.

“C’mon Belle”, whispered Jasom, “this is the last one, then it’s all over.”

She stood, quiet, calculating.

I drew in breath after hitching breath, trying to make any sense of the situation.

I couldn’t.

This was my best friend. The one I’d know since year seven. The one who I told everything. The one who was always there for me. How could this be possible? What could’ve driven her to such an unspeakable act. I thought about how she had sobbed over Ray’s body, never would I have thought that she was the one that did it. I thought about how everyone else was lying dead somewhere. No wonder that wild dog came around. It could probably smell fresh kill.

I noticed that there was still no one talking and looked up at Belle and Jason. Jason was looking at Belle, worry invading his features.

“Sweetie?” he murmured to her.

“Yes.” She replied.

“Are you going to do it?”

“Yes.”

“Then go for it!” he exclaimed, looking relieved.

“Ok.” She said, plunging her knife backwards until only the handle was protruding out of
Jason’s stomach.

His eyes bulged and for one terrifying moment I thought they would fall out of his head. Instead they glazed over as he opened his mouth to scream. All that came out was a blood filled cough which sprayed all over the back of Belle’s head. She paid no mind.

“Now come here and give me a hug, best friends forever Jada.” She said cheerily.

With that, I turned and ran back up the aisle and out into the yard. I bolted for the tree where Marty sat. His eyes locked with mine as I ran to him. I dropped to my knees next to him and began to cry.

“I’m sorry that I didn’t listen Marty.” I cried loudly into his shoulder.

I felt his hand weakly stroke my back, then drop limply by his side. I looked at him and saw his eyes staring blankly ahead, seeing nothing. With a deep breath I gently closed his eyes and kissed him. Then I stood and saw Belle making her way towards me.

I didn’t try to run, I stood my ground.

“Jada! There you are!” she called, waving the knife in an almost friendly gesture.

I waved back, but not in greeting. I was waving goodbye. Goodbye to the life I knew and the people that had accompanied me during it. I was waving goodbye to the pretence Belle had kept up. I was waving goodbye to myself.

Belle wrapped her arms around me when she reached me.

“I don’t know why you ran from me you silly goose.” She whispered in my ear, stroking my hair with the hand which held the knife.

I could feel the sticky blade running down my back as she rubbed it comfortingly.

“We’re going to be best friends forever. And ever. And ever. And ever.” She said, her breath tickling my ear, each “ever” punctuated with another stab in my back.

Slowly she let me slid to the ground and land softly in Marty’s lap.

I looked at my “best friend” one last time before my world was engulfed in darkness.
♠ ♠ ♠
by me brah C: