*** in the Dark

Belle

I wiped my blood soaked blade against my bare calf breaking the skin and raising small lines of blood. I dragged my best friend Jada’s body back to the theatre and placed her, like the rest in a seat. They were all seated in couples now, Jason alone waiting for me. I grabbed the knife now at my feet and use it to tear strips off my dress to bind the stab wounds on Jada’s back and stop the blood from going everywhere.

I hadn’t wanted to hurt her but she left me no choice.

I hadn’t wanted to do it to either of them.

After binding their wounds I went to pick out a movie we could all watch together, like old times before our group was split up by age and dreams.

“Belle?” Jason’s voice sounded distant and filled with pain.

This brought tears to my eyes. He had been here for me through all of it. He had witnessed me killing Ray but had promised to keep his mouth shut.

He had understood.

More tears brimmed in my eye as I thought about how I had killed Marty and stabbed Jada enough that soon her heartbeat would take a permanent oath of silence. I promised that I would keep them alive but Jada was my best friend in the whole wide world. How could I let her leave me and live her life.

She probably would’ve killed herself anyway. She would’ve missed me too much.

But this way was easier. She only had me to blame.

I turned to Jason.

“Shush, don’t speak you need your strength.” I whispered as I sank down into the seat between him and Jada.

The theatre was suddenly filled with light from the screen now spewing out images of Will Smith, Jason’s favourite actor. I rested my head against Jason’s shoulder and pulled my knees up to my chest. Just then I felt a clammy hand on my bare skin.

Jada. She was moving slowly, her eyes on me.

“Belle.. Help me.” she gasped her eyes pleading with me.

“I am helping you J, this is what we all need. Don’t worry I’m not going to leave you or Jason...silly girl. You both mean too much to me.” I said reassuringly.

Jada looked at me only a moment longer, then she slowly turned to face Marty, bearing her face in his shoulder and sobbing silently.

“Why?” her voice sounding small and filled with loss “why Belle, what made you kill them, kill...him?”

“I...Jada, you know this is for the best, and I wasn’t supposed to kill Marty. I just couldn’t lose any of you.” I said.

She turned back to me, anger flaring in her eyes, but it faded slightly when she looked at me and I mean really looked at me.

She took in my dress which was now so torn up it looked like a pillow case spatted with crimson wine and cut in odd places My bare feet were cut and bleeding. I had blood lightly sprayed across my cheek making it look like blush and my eyes were rimmed with red making the blue stand out even more than usual. Soft tears made their way down my cheeks, carving tracks in the dripping of gore.

“Fuck...you.” she growled her voice so soft I had to strain to hear her.

“You’re my best friend and you’re mine. Forever.” I uttered with a small smile, but when I looked back over at Jada, she has passed out.

Half way through the movie I felt Jason shift in the seat next to me, his hand desperately trying to find mine. He grabbed my left hand and gave it a little squeeze. His touch filled with love and forgiveness his gaze resting on mine.

“Belle.. I love you no matter what. You will always be my girl.” Jason said, his strong arms coming up and pulling me to him as he spoke, wrapping me with love and blocking out everything for a moment.

I looked away from him.

“I love you too Jason.” I said as I brought the knife up and plunged it into my stomach, spilling warm blood that sparkled in the theatre light all over the seat.

“Belle!” Jason cried, his voice thick with blood.

“We’re going to be together forever. All of us.” I whispered, the smallest trickle of blood escaping from my lips.

And with that I turned and face the movie screen, smiling to myself, knowing that my friends and I would never part. Ever.
♠ ♠ ♠
by Brianna Dunn