*** in the Dark

Belle

Jason caught me in his strong arms as I tumbled over a rock that suddenly appeared in my path. With his embrace filled with love and concern, his eyes glittering in the torch light covering half of his face, he was amazingly beautiful. He helped me to my feet then wrapped his baggy jumper around my quivering arms. With a soft kiss to my forehead he turned away, pushing through the trees, clearing a path for me.

I pulled back hard on his hand that was entwined with mine. We had been walking for what seemed like hours and Jason had spoken little to me. He’d only told me to “watch my step” or “hurry up”. I felt so alone even though he was standing next to me.

“What’s going on Jason? Why aren’t you talking to me? Why are you so cold ever since we found Ray? I’m upset too but pushing me away isn’t going to do either of us any good!”

Hot tears ran down my cheeks. Not from sadness, but from anger. This night had been a disaster and his silent treatment wasn’t making it any better. I was so close to ripping his head off. But I couldn’t, not here, not now.

“Belle I’m sorry, I just wanna protect you. The others don’t understand how much you care but I do and I’ll do anything for you. I love you.” Jason’s voice has heavy with emotion.

I never thought I meant that much to him. He wrapped one arm around me and used the other to wipe my tears. I squeezed him tight, knowing he would always be here to support me.

“I love you Belle.” Jason whispered into my long blonde locks.

“I love you.” I whispered.

After regaining composure we set back off to find the house. Jason was sure we were close that we just had to break through, but the more we walked the more I thought we were going the wrong way. My feet were unsteady and my eyes were constantly looking for the sparks in the sky that would bring us home.

Jason pushed through the branches of a large oak tree. He pulled me through after him, and there we came to a stop in front of a large paperbark tree. The tree Jada, Kassidy, Danny and I had hid behind at the start of this terrible night, at its base a cluster of broken water balloons.
We were so close to safety, relief rose within me. Jason dragged me forward and into the open space at the back of the house. All the lights were out in the house but a single garden lamp that shone in the dark night. Jason picked the lamp from the ground and used it to guide us to the stack of fireworks to the left of the wood pile.

We set the fireworks out on the grass and after making sure I was at a safe distance, Jason took a box of matches out of his pocket and set them alight.

Bright sparks went up filling the dark sky. Purple, green, red, pink and gold lit up the cold night and seemed to illuminate the air around us. I hoped my friends could see them, hoped they’d find their way back.

Jason pulled me close; now all we could do was wait.
♠ ♠ ♠
by Brianna c: