Soon My Friend

Log 6 - Progression

The guard opened the cell, handcuffed me and took me by the arm. I was led into another building far from the one I was being held.

The building stood right in the center of the whole complex. I could see people running about the entire building. Men were wearing suits and women wore dress shirts and skirts that fell down to their knee.

It was a corridor that lead for a few hundred feet. To my right I could see the entire operation where they launched the space shuttle. All the glimmering buttons, the glowing screens, and people moving about like work ants.

At the end of the hall was a door to the right, it had nothing written on it. I was lead to a room that had everything in white. The chair was white, the table was white, and even the floor and roof were white.

The guard took the handcuffs of my hand, and told me; "Someone will be with you shortly." Light coming from the roof made the roof blindingly white. The chair and table stood in the middle of the room. I touched the cold chair and sat down. I looked across the room and there was a giant mirror overlooking me.

I saw myself in the mirror, my skin looked paler than before. I didn't feel at all sick, just a little different since I inherited my powers. My eyes looked more blue than ever. And my hair much more darker.

The handle on the door opened, in came a blond man in a suit. He wore fifties-style glasses, a salmon button-up shirt with a black tie, brown wingtipped loafers, and a combed back hair that made him look like steve mcqueen. Needless to say this man knew style.

He had a notebook with him, he sat it down on the table. He opened his jacket and took a seat in front of me. I stared at him for a minute a two while he wrote something on the notebook.

Putting the pen down and closing the notebook. He took off his glasses and inhaled. "Why are you so interested in being here? Who are you?" he asked with most confusion. I stood up in my chair and looked at this man eye to eye. "I came here because I want to become an astronaut."

He nodded as if he thought I was crazy. "You see Mr. uh what's your name by the way?" I had an idea of where this was going so I braced myself. "It's Atlas sir." He nodded again but this time his curiosity was piqued.

"Mr.Atlas, the thing is not just anybody can become an astronaut. You have to have a degree in some area of this work. Credentials are a must and most of all experience. What we look for in an astronaut is for them to have the passion for the stars as much as all of us here. You clearly don't look like a man that fits into that category therefore you can't be one."

I took all of his criticism in, I took a deep breath. "All I'm asking for is a chance. A chance to prove myself that I can be an astronaut and that I can be in the final frontier. My whole life I dreamt of being with the stars. In all honesty, I have more right to be on that space shuttle more than anyone on this planet."

The man was slightly taken back and gave a chuckle. "Oh really? What makes you think that you deserve it more than anyone in this world? More than any other man and woman that dedicate their entire life to this." His mood seemed to change from curious to anger.

Knowing the reception I might get from telling him I went forth and told him. "I'm not from this planet, and I need to go to Mars to get back where I came from. I need to go back."

He looked at me with the most serious face I had ever gotten. Stood up and looked into the mirror. "It looks like another nutcase sir." A muffled voice came from the mirror. "That's alright Zach. Just put him back in his cell." The door opened with a soldier ready to escort me back.

"Wait!" I yelled before they took me away. I raised my arm at shoulder level, concentrated on the chair that I sat in, and raised in the air. I rotated the chair upside down. Everyone at the moment froze. The soldier dropped my arm, and Zach the man who interviewed me looked at the chair. "My god." He stood in awe as the chair was in mid-air.