Soon My Friend

Log 8 - The Man with the Tattoos.

A cold shivering feeling came down my spine as the words he uttered registered in my head.

"Who was this man? Where did he come from? And most importantly how does he know?" I tried to grasp the uncertainy of the situation.

"What exactly is it that you want from me?" I could just feel my stomach churning.

The tattooed man paced back and forth laughing and whispering to himself.

"It's simple, take me with you to whatever it is you're going. And if you do, I will tell you how I found out about you," he said, this was then followed by a maniacal laugh and retreating back to the darkness of his cell.

I clutched my chest and felt my heartbeat going really fast, my forehead was sweaty, palms shaking, and a little light headed. I couldn't believe this lunatic is going on the shuttle with me.

"I need to get my things and get out of here," I uttered to myself.

I proceeded to return to the space center, were I was escorted into a warehouse.The entrance span hundred feet wide and sixty feet tall. It was a single massive door that opened from the left. In this warehouse I could see from afar, the old man in charge, Zach, and a very good-looking woman.

As I walked into this warehouse, my footsteps could be heard throughout the entire place. I met these three people and I couldn't help but notice. This woman seemed familiar.

"It's good to see you again Mr. Atlas," the old man cheerfully said.

"Well then where should we start?" I replied with somewhat of a doubt in my voice.

I kept looking at this woman while the old man kept talking away.

"Oh!" My memory jolted me.

This was the same woman that I rescued from those goons days ago! She gave me a look of confusion.

"I'm sorry I don't believe we've met before," she replied with such a soft voice. A voice that reminded me of Anna.

"I don't believe we had a chance to miss. My name is Atlas, and you are?" I extended my hand out to shake hers.

"That's a strange name, Atlas. My name is Natasha and it will be an honor to work with you,"

I looked at her some what in confusion.

"I'm sorry what?"

Noticing I wasn't paying attention, the old man interrupted.

"Oh yes, Natasha will be going with you on this journey. She will be training you in the environments you will face in the final frontier. She is the finest trainer in this entire facility. Nobody else could I trust with my life outside of this planet than her,"

We all made our way to an olympic-sized swimming pool that ran hundreds of feet below.

"This is where you will be trained in your suits to replicate the environment outside the shuttle,"

We were lead into the outside, where the land was rocky and hills were everywhere.

"Here we will simulate the rocky terrains of Mars. The rover nearby will make it easier for you to get around,"

And finally we were lead back into the warehouse. It was what it looked like a chamber of some sort.

"Here is the last part of our training. You, Mr. Atlas, will be put in this room for a couple of days. This chamber will simulate the monotony of spending a lenghty period of time in one place. You will be provided with water and food and that will be it. Now then any questions?"

I took a moment to remember that I have to bring that lunatic with me.

"Yes, would it be possible to bring another person to train?" the old man looked at me with disbelief.

"But who?" he seemed to be a little agitated.

"Well there's a man being held up here in jail. The man with tattoos. I want him to be included in this journey," I said as I felt my stomach twist and turn.

The group around me gasped. The old man with a scared look on his face grabbed me by the shoulders.

"Are you mad?! That man was incarcerated because he killed one of our own. He broke into this facility saying that he has to go. He has to go space,"

Thinking to myself what have I've gotten myself into. I took a deep breath and exhaled.

"I don't know what that man is capable of, but you have to trust me on this," the old man shaking his head took a moment.

"If its what you want then I will make it happen,"

A few minutes later, two soldiers walked in with the tattooed man. He had this sick, twisting, maniacal smile on his face. He had both his feet and hands handcuffed.

"I thank you for releasing me from that cell, I was getting awfully lonely," he chuckled.

The old man with a regretting voice said, "Take his handcuffs off,"

Both soldiers simultaneously took the handcuffs off. The man with tattoos feeling where his handcuffs were smiled.

"Now then, let's get started shall we?"