Status: Thank you for reading, I promise to update soon :)

Tangled Seaweed

Seaweed

~Ren's Point Of View~

The sea current moved you around like a small carnival ride. Not that I had ever been on one, though I did fantasize. What mermaid wouldn't want to see the human world? Wonder why the humans trashed our beautiful sea? I haven't talked to one mermaid who hasn't. We are all just to chicken to try it.

My fingers stroked the soft and slimy seaweed that I was resting on, my dark green eyes still watching the bottom on the boat. From here I could see the feet of a human swimmer, also the shiny and dangerous hook for fishing. Yet the fish still allowed themselves to be caught, that might be why they are at the bottom level of the sea chain. That actually was an interesting thing to think about, where was I on this sea chain? I guess I'll never know.

Damien stirred next to me, kicking his tail fin tiredly. I guess I never thought about him either, was he at the same spot on this sea chain as me? Maybe our government should explain these things better, or maybe I'm just not understanding the concept. He groaned once and then rested his arm over my waist and his face on my shoulder.

"They should just leave already." He whispered, taking another glance at the boat.

It was a bit ship, the ones with the wooden bottoms. Almost like a pirate ship, but better. Only better cause I've never seen one of those, I've only seen these. The were interesting, the humans the most. Especially when they came down in their diving suites and looked around. I loved getting that close to them, not that Damien approved. But what merman would want his mate getting that close to harm. At least he looks out for me.

"Can I get a better look?" I questioned. Wanting to get so close that I could touch the hard wood. Maybe sneak a peak at a human. Curiosity is the only thing that fuels me, and this is the one thing that I haven't seen yet.

"No." He informed, tightening his hold on me. Flicking his tail once more, which only made his red scales glimmer in the sunlight. I watching with aw for a moment, loving this beautiful man. "I don't want you getting hurt."

I pressed my lips to his black hair, feeling its smoothness. There has never been anything that soft on my lips. It was like seaweed, but so much better. I found my arms wrapping around him, just stroking it gently.

What would I do without him? Would I still be at my parents house? Would I have been killed by now? Nothing is reasonable, we have always been together and always will.

In mermaid culture you are born with a mate, and you must find them. You're bonded without knowing it, and when your mate dies you do to. This was set up by the mermaid council a very long time ago, in hopes of reproducing. Back then there were only a small amount of mermaids, so we needed to expand I guess. But now there are plenty of us to go around. That is why you die when your mate dies, but if you are unfortunate enough to not have one...well you kind of choose to be killed. For what is a mermaid life without the person you belong with?

Damien picked a piece of coral, placing it in random patterns in my long dark blonde hair. I giggled a bit and hugged him tighter. I can imagine not having him here, it would be my own personal hell.

"I'm glad you listen to me." He chuckled, still running his fingers softly though my hair. I smiled a little wider.

"Why wouldn't I?" I hummed.

Before he had a chance to answer I found myself looking back that the boat one more time as the anchor was raised. My chance was missed today, but there'll be another one soon. So I looked back over at him, turning just in time for his lips to press to mine.

This was our first kiss, and it truly was as magical as it was said to me. It was like fireworks setting off in my stomach, and everything seemed to become a bit brighter. But the one thing that I didn't expect, was the odd feeling beginning inside my chest. Oxygen was running out, and this shouldn't be happening.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you so much for reading, and please tell me what you think of this story. I would really like to know so that I will keep writing it.