Status: Hiatus -'til Summer 2013 at the earliest.

Water Valkies

Ch 23

Aureole lay on the cold slate floor. Her bones were stiff and aching and dirt and grime was smeared into numerous cuts and grazes. Bruises of yellow and purple bloomed across her skin. She didn't know how long she'd been down here because there weren't any windows in the cells. The air was dank with an acrid smell but Aureole had grown to ignore it. Suddenly a door was thrown open and heavy footsteps descended the stone steps on the opposite side of the room. She whimpered and scrambled against a slimy wall. The intrudor snapped his fingers and the torches lining the walls flared into life. She now had a clear view of his face as the light bounced against it. He was bald with chubby features and tiny eyes that sank in his head. A toothy grin settled itself sickly amongst a dark matted beard. He was burly and overweight and wore the infamous Company uniform.
With the new glow cast over the holding cells, Aureole glanced at her neighbouring prisoners. They were skinny and disheveled and emitted high, despairing moans and wails.

The officer trudged towards her cell and Aureole stared at him frightened from behind her lank, unwashed hair. He unlocked the gate to her cell and thrust a hand in, grabbing her roughly by the ankle. She kicked and screamed but he dragged her towards him.
"Up." he chuckled darkly from above her.
She struggled to her feet as he clasped her blouse tightly. He shoved her roughly towards the open space in the centre of the room and down the adjoining corridor. She passed cell after cell and numerous prisoners reached for her and cried desperately but all she could do was shake her head and empathise with them through tear filled eyes. The officer pushed her around the corner and flung her into a different cell. He slammed the door shut before walking away silently. Aureole backed into a corner and began to cry, her knees clutched to her chest. Hot tears rolled down her cheeks and made a pathway through the thin layer of dirt on her face. She was startled when she felt a hand on her cheek wipe away the salty tears, and she jumped away, gasping.
"I'm sorry!" a voice said from the dimness.
"I- I didn't mean to frighten you."
Aureole shook with terror.
"Please come back." the voice said sadly. It belonged to a male, probably around her own age, and was gentle and warm. She relaxed a small bit and decided to crawl towards the sound. She knelt on the hard ground and reached up, grasping the bars.
"Where are you?" she whispered timidly. There was a sound like a sparking lighter and then a flame flickered brightly on the opposite side of the bars. She was greeted by a brown eyed boy smiling shyly at her, his black hair curling loosely around his thin face.

"Hey." he whispered so as not to frighten her.
"Hey." she smiled back.
The boy settled his small fire on the ground in front of him and kept it burning, throwing a light shadow on their faces from below.
"I'm Sneak." he told her, flashing a pearly smile. His lips were small and delicate and were a rich shade of ruby.
"Aurie." she smiled timidly, reaching a hand between the cold bars. He gently took her hand in his and shook it in greeting. Aurie marvelled at the warmth as his skin touched hers and she was reluctant to let go, rubbing her fingers over the back of his hand instead. Sneak cleared his throat loudly and she jumped away, embarrassed.

"Um- sorry." she muttered. "It's just, it's so cold down here, and.. you're so warm."
Sneak grinned at the floor and licked his lips before glancing up at Aurie from beneath his long lashes.
"Fire valkie." he shrugged and she beamed at him.
"And you?"
Aurie looked at him with a glimmer in her eye and smirked. She pursed her lips and blew a gust of wind into Sneak's cell, snuffing out his fire and earning a surprised swear as he was blown back across his cell.
"Air valkie." she giggled into the darkness.
♠ ♠ ♠
I really love Sneak! ^^ I know I say that about all my characters but I really do like Sneak a lot xD I'm gonna wait to post his bio until I write more of him. I might post his picture in the character section though along with Mr. Pernicious... Hmm i'll see. Anyway i'm starting 24 tonight but might not be posted until tomorrow. I hope you enjoy and I hope you all had a better weekend than me. I got a migraine Saturday, fell down the stairs, fainted and took a trip in an ambulance Sunday and then became really sick after eating today. And somehow i'm perfectly okay and only got one day off of school. Doesn't seem legit to me :| xD I love you readers :) Thank you to crescendo for that adoreable name "Rippers." :} it made me smile and think of little four year old Rip being cute and causing mayhem and if you wouldn't mind I would very much like to use it a few chapters ahead :)