Status: Hiatus -'til Summer 2013 at the earliest.

Water Valkies

Ch 26

Rip devoured the view from his bed as Sei stood with his back to him, his hair tangled attractively and wearing only a pair of scarlet trunks as he rummaged for some clothes to borrow from Rip. Even though his own closet was just down the hall, Sei loved to wear Rip's looser, comfier clothes, especially lately. Rip missed his tight fit jeans.
Sei emerged victorious clutching a loose pair of faded gray sweatpants. Rip, who was already clothed, pursed his lips disappointedly as Sei's legs were swallowed up in the fabric. He padded out the door and down the hallway to his own room and returned moments later with his muscled torso covered by a white t-shirt.
"That ought to stop the staring." he muttered, the ghost of a smirk lingering on his lips. Rip was about to respond, his face denying the truth, when Sei turned on his heel and descended the stairs.
"Come on," he called. "We have an investigation to continue."
Rip's mood turned sombre and he quickly followed Sei downstairs.
* * *
"Take a left here." Sei instructed and Rip obeyed, twisting the wheel around. He pressed on the brake and they came to a stop outside the correct address. They got out and approached the looming gray house, Sei squeezing Rip's hand nervously. Rip pressed the doorbell and waited as they heard shuffling from inside. When the door opened they were greeted by an average sized, middle aged man clad in dirty looking jeans and a vintage leather jacket. The exposed area of his neck was covered in spiralling tattoos and his ragged hair was stained a concentrated pine green.
"Thomas Juxton?" Rip asked hesitantly, eyeing the absurd man.
"Yeah that's me."
His voice was gravelly and Rip noted it was likely he was a chronic smoker.
"We'd like to talk to you," piped Sei from behind Rip's arm. "Our friend Aureole Nova is missing, and um-"
Sei rooted through his pocket and retrieved the worn piece of paper from Aurie's room. He held it out worriedly.
"She left this behind."
Juxton screwed up his face as he took the paper.
"I'm on this." he noted almost amusedly. Sei glanced at Rip, concerned and Rip bit his lip and shrugged.
"Maybe you guys should come inside." said Juxton and he retreated into his home. Sei clutched Rip's hand as they stepped inside the door.

"Why was your friend taken?" Juxton called from the living room.
"We were hoping you could tell us." Rip answered as they followed him inside and settled on the faded sofa. "Don't see why you'd think that." said Juxton, picking food from his teeth.
Rip tried a different approach.
"Your brother works for The Company, doesn't he?"
"Yes. The bastard think's he's better than us all."
"Yes, well um, the other people on the list, they also knew people or worked for The Company themselves."
"Interesting."
Sei became irritated at the lack of answers.
"Look what do you know about The Company Mr Juxton?"
"Call me Jux." he grinned devilishly.
"And I know quite a bit about The Company. And since I like you two boys with your questions and your list and your hand holding,"
Sei blushed.
"I'll tell you."
Both boys listened eagerly to Jux.
"For the past few weeks I've been snooping through my brother's stuff over at his house. Turns out The Company has been keeping some secrets. They have files on all those kids they give Parents to, which you'd expect, only that these files aren't just name, age and telephone number."
"Well what's on them?" gulped Sei. Jux reached over the back of his armchair and picked up a folder off the shelf.
"I swiped this one last week."
Sei took the file and began leafing through it. His stomach grew tighter and Rip squeezed his hand as they read the child's file.

"Child No. 0792:
May 28th:

Patient has displayed excellent progress. Cleansing successful and Parent programme update installed. No further adjustments required for a maximum six months."


Rip was bewildered and felt increasingly nauseous.
"What the hell is this?" he whispered.
Jux pulled out a box of tobacco and a pack of menthol rolling papers.
"It's a conspiracy." he chuckled.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah... I wish this was better. Maybe I'm just picky I hope you guys liked it! ^^
It's been three days since I updated! The longest ever D: Now I'm off to watch The Time Traveller's Wife and get into a lovey mood. Yes cos I'm into that. xD