Status: Hiatus -'til Summer 2013 at the earliest.

Water Valkies

Ch 32

Sei hummed to himself as he skipped along the sidewalk. Kinly had sent him on an errand but he guessed he just wanted some time with Rip. As he turned onto the main street he passed The Company's building and slowed his pace. He stared up at the glass skyscraper towering above him. The smooth panes and copper railings gleamed back at him in the sun and the infamous "C" loomed over his head. His eyes roamed over the various people coming and going through the entrance doors.
He turned to walk away but hesitated when a familiar face emerged through the doors.
Pheonix caught his gaze and froze before heading quickly in the opposite direction. Sei stared after him, his spine tingling coldly. His feet stumbled backwards and he turned on his heel and hurried back home.

* * *

When he arrived home Sei sat himself on Rip's lap and nuzzled against his neck. He clutched his shirt and furrowed his eyebrows deeply.
Rip kissed his hair.
"What's wrong love?" he asked, stroking his hair.
Sei curled against him and shook his head.
"I- I saw Pheonix." he whispered. "Coming out of The Company."
"Wait, what?"
"He saw me and he just stared and walked away."
"Shit." Rip swore. "I told you he was bad news Sei-"
"But what if he's not?" Sei protested, looking up at him.
"I don't think Pheonix is bad Rip, really, what if he had some other reason for being there?"
Rip didn't really believe that but Sei was killing him with those sad eyes so he kissed the boy's forehead gently and held him against his shoulder.
"Okay. How about we go talk to him later?"
Sei sniffled into his shoulder and nodded.

* * *

When they stood on Pheonix's doorstep later that day, Sei realised just how long it had been since he'd spoken to his best friend. As the door swung open to reveal Pheonix's father Aodh, he slipped his hand out of Rip's nervously.
"Sei!" Aodh greeted him warmly. He frowned when he saw Rip.
"And..."
"Rip." he offered, realising they'd never met.
"I'm... Sei's brother." he coughed, covering a grin.
Sei kicked him discreetly.
"Nice to meet you." he nodded, offering a hand.
Rip took it sheepishly and they followed Aodh inside.
"Pheonix is in his room if you'd like to go straight up."

Pheonix's posture stiffened briefly when he saw them enter but he regained a calm facade.
"Hey." he smiled.
The boys entered and Sei sat them on the couch opposite the bed.
He decided to start gently.
"So how have you been?"
"I've been better." he stated.
"You heard Aurie's missing right?"
"Yeah." Sei said, his shoulders slumping.
"I would have come over to see how you were sooner Sei, but I've been so busy trying to find her." Sei breathed out, relieved.
"It's okay, we've been doing the same. Did you find anything?"
"Well I tried her house but her father turned me away angrily." he lied.
"Old still doesn't like you?" Sei asked.
"Not since I accidentally set his lawn on fire." smirked Pheonix.
"So I hunted around where she was last seen," Pheonix continued. "And I found this."
Pheonix produced a printed piece of paper with an address underlined in red pen.
"It's The Company headquarters. I went there today to check it out." he threw a glance at Sei.
"I knew it." Sei frowned. "She was investigating The Company."
He pulled the worn list that he now carried everywhere from his pocket and showed Pheonix.
"Who are these people?" he mocked confusion. He knew exactly who they were.
"Targets." Rip answered roughly. "Those that The Company wants dead. Those two that aren't crossed out are the only ones left."
"But... Haven't you guys read the paper? This Alan Dormer guy is dead. Heart attack."
Sei's stomach dropped and he looked to Rip frantically. Rip comforted him by stroking his hair and pressing a kiss to his cheek. Pheonix observed but it didn't faze him.
"It seems to me that the only solution is for us to work together." Pheonix said slyly.
Sei stared wide eyed at Rip who heaved a sigh. He was no match for Sei's cute factor.
"Fine." he rolled his eyes.
This could never end well.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah so this sort of... Yeah. But an update is an update, so it is, is it not? ^^ So! Pheonix is gonna work with mah boys! >:] Trouble anybody?
NOW! I don't want to give out. I really hate that in an author.
(x-x')
But I only got 2 responses to the one-shot and sequel ideas.
*faceplant of embarrassment*
^what I feel like doing.
Also I have had one awesome reader who has commented on all my recent updates and who is amazing and I shall go find a link shortly and post it [here].
But that's it. D':
Please guys, could you spare a comment? :( Not only am I really not that confident if the ideas of the other stories will be successful but i'm also worried that this story is losing its momentum/interest.
And its making me lose my drive for it which I really hate.
So yeah if you guys could give me some feedback then it would really help me to push through the next few chapters and get this going again.
I don't ask for praise, just opinions. <3