Status: Hiatus -'til Summer 2013 at the earliest.

Water Valkies

Ch 8

Early mornings always suited Sei. He loved to wake up and take a shower first thing, letting the water rinse off the lingering shadow of sleep. He loved to go outside and breathe in the dampened morning air. Today was not one of those mornings. He slept soundly until eleven, at which time he woke from his slumber, stretched and stayed in bed. He spread out lazily and wondered why he was already dressed. Then he remembered Rip, and noticed his absence. His heart gave a jolt of disappointment, but he moved past it. He was amazed Rip had even slept next to him in the first place.
He showered and dried off and pulled on some comfortable clothes, leaving his hair damp and lightly curled. He ventured downstairs and heard Kinly's voice coming from the kitchen.
"-nasty habit. I don't see why you keep it up." he heard him say.
"Because I like it." countered Rip.
Sei smirked.
"Heavens knows why." muttered Kinly as Sei entered the kitchen.
"Morning sunshine!" he boomed in the boy's ear. Rip, who stood just beyond the sliding glass door which led outside, threw a fleeting glance at Sei. For a short second Sei caught a hint of something that read 'Last night'. Rip looked away and brought his cigarette back to his pretty lips. Sei pulled cereal from the top cupboard and shook it into a bowl, pouring it some milk for company. He sat down to eat and his phone buzzed. He picked it up and read the message onscreen. It was from his friend, Aureole Nova, an air valkie.

Sei thought about how The Company's headquarters were located in his town. Despite the minor fact that he hated them, a lot of valkies, like Aurie, converged here because of it. The 'normal' people of the world, that percentage that hadn't had valkie genes in their family for over two hundred years, believed The Company to be a privately owned corporation who took care of abandoned, orphaned and unwanted kids. They assigned them Parents, both of which always seemed like perfectly well-rounded people, thus making children happier and the world a better place. Sei knew different. The Company's other goal was to monitor and discipline valkies, making sure nobody ever used their abilities in a hostile way. Sei questioned The Company's motives though. There were often cases of earth or fire valkies who had used their powers wrongly which The Company had let slide. There was also his issue with Parents. He couldn't remember his but he doubted he'd ever liked them. There was just something... off about them when he watched them with other kids. They always seemed too nice, too friendly, too perfect. Like they never got angry, or that they couldn't get angry. One would think that with parents who never get mad, the child would be inclined to run wild. But whenever a kid was assigned Parents, they became the child of dreams, like they didn't dare step out of line. It was strange to say the least.

Aurie's message invited him to meet her at the pier in fifteen minutes.
"Kinly do you mind if I go out with Aurie today?"
Sei asked. He knew Kinly liked to spend as much time with them as possible.
"I don't see why not." he answered.
After finishing his breakfast and clearing away his bowl, Sei had five minutes to make it to the pier. He cursed mentally and walked to Rip.
"Uh Rip? Could you give me a lift to the pier please?". His voice felt awkward coming from his mouth.
Rip took a pull of his cigarette and blew a cloud of smoke upwards.
"Sure." he answered stiffly and shoved inside past Sei, grabbing his keys on his way to the door.
* * *
Rip watched as Sei walked over to greet Aureole with a hug and a smile. Rip didn't like Aureole. At first he thought she was okay but gradually he started to dislike her bubbly smile and obvious attraction towards Sei.
'Jealous Rip?' his mind taunted.
She just didn't seem to fit with Sei, but his good nature deceived him. He was a sensible guy most of the time. More sensible than Rip.
He sighed and drove away.
♠ ♠ ♠
Mostly filler but also important stuff with regards to The Company. Also new character Aurie! Bio will be up in ten minutes, also Kinly's. :) Nine will be good, and probably later today. :) Four subscribers ^^ thank you :) <3