Because of You

You Have To Tell Him

Once I was done helping my grandmother we sat down and ate dinner and was watching TV when a song I knew all too well started to play.
“Momma look daddy.”
“I see him baby.” I said as my grandmother walked into the room and looked at me.
“What did he say?”
“His dad’s on TV.” I said without thinking… that was until she hit the shit out of me causing me to jump and realize what I had said.
“I knew that boy was Grayson’s father and you told me he wasn’t. Why did you lie to me?” she asked as she walked further into the living with her arms crossed over her chest mugging me hard as hell.
“Oh you quite all of a sudden… Adele Natasha Manchi you better answer me little girl and I mean right damn now! Why did you lie to me?” She asked again and I knew I had to tell her because if I didn’t she would go to the back yard and grab a switch and yes she would use it on me even tho I’m about to be 24.
“Because Ma’ he has he own life and at the time we thought he had got Sasha pregnant I thought it would be in my best interest if I didn’t tell him.”
“Why that girl wasn’t pregnant? We all knew she wasn’t.”
“I know that and so do you but I don’t think he knew and it wasn’t my place to tell him. Look Grayson knows who his father is and he know his daddy loves him.”
“How if he doesn’t even know Gee-Gee is on the planet. You need to tell him.”
“I won’t ever see him so I don’t have to worry about it.” I said as I stood up and grabbed my plate off the TV tray.
“I’m a tell yo’ little ass right now if that boy ever finds out and comes to this house I’m telling the truth you know he’s a good man and who would do right by you and his twin over there. You sitting here struggling on government assistance working two jobs, going to school and he’s making a good living singing and writing songs for folks. That boy could sit up a college fund of Hard~Head over then and everything.”
“Momma I can do that for my son once I’m finished with school. I’m fine with the way things are... if and when Grayson wants to really meet him I will find him and tell him but right now it’s too soon.”
“Too soon for who? You? I know you love that boy and still do I can hear you every night but you can’t keep that man from his child… you need to tell him. Nothing good is going to come from you holding this from him.”
“So you knew?”
“How could I not girl? You marked that boy because you were so anger at his father so I knew who ever it was Grayson was going to come out looking and acting just like his father and that what happened? Dimples and everything all Gee-Gee needs is a head full of hair I guess that’s why you have it cut all off huh?”
“Do you know how hard it is to love someone so much and they’re you heart when they look and acted just like the one who ripped it out your heart? Momma it kills me sometimes to even look at my son because he looks just like his father.” I said as tears started to fall and she rushed to my side.
“Baby I can’t say I know what you’re going through because I don’t. You grandfather was there for me until the day he died but I can tell you that if that girl knows she will tell him or start spreading that shit around. You know how messy she is and how do you think he’s going to feel if he find out through the grapevine? He’s going to be pissed and may not even want to see you or Hard-Head.” She said as I thought about it.
“Okay you’re right Momma.” I stood up and walked out of the kitchen into my bedroom and grabbed my phone and looked though my contacts. I sent an email to the one person I knew could get to my son’s father and I knew she wouldn’t judge me she would just sitting and listen. Once I was finished I walked into the living room and saw Grayson smiling as he watched the TV.
“What you watching Monster?”
“Daddy.” I looked up and saw his father dancing around on stage acting crazy.
“Momma he funny.”
“Is he baby?”
“Yes ma’am.” I watched as he, Phil and Jamaero danced around on the stage and he hit his James Brown and just seeing him doing what he love to do I was rethinking the email I just sent.
“Momma?”
“What baby?”
“Why daddy not here?” I looked over at him and noticed he frown as he watched me watching the TV.
“Because daddy’s working.”
“Momma I miss him… I want to see him.” He said and I could see the tears in his eyes.
“Come here baby.” I said as he got up and ran over to me and cried on my shoulder until he feel asleep. I got up and walked into his room and got him dress into his night clothes and walked back into my bedroom and placed him in my queen side bed. He had his own room and bed but he never slept in there because he always sleeping with me when I was home or with his Nana.
I looked at my phone and noticed I have received an email.
‘I always thought you were pregnant but I didn’t say anything because I didn’t know for sure if you were but I always thought it since the last time I saw you. How old is he or she and when do you want me to set a met? Call me!!!! I’m up and at the studio with them and I need someone to talk to because this shit gets old after a while. My number is (714)555-3456.’
I saved the number and dialed it after I changed into my pjs and she answered on the three ring.
“Hello?”
“Tye it’s me Addie.”
“OH MY GOD!!!!”
“Tye baby we’re working.” I could hear Phil say and I hear her tell them she don’t give a fuck and walked out of the room.
“Can you hear me?”
“Yeah.”
“So what did you have?”
“I had a boy.”
“And who does he look like?”
“I’ll let you be the judge.” I said as I spent her a picture of Grayson and I at the zoo as he had a big smile on his face and waited for her response.
“OMG he looked just like Bruno with the dimples and everything… damn he is swaged out huh?”
“I work two jobs to keep my baby fly….” I said as she laughed and I heard someone talking to her.
“Who are you talking to baby?”
“Just an old friend why?”
“Who?” I could hear Phil ask as she trying to think of something else to tell him.
“Tye just tell him… better yet put me on speak? Wait is Bruno gone?”
“Baby are you guys done?”
“Yeah.” I heard them say their goodbyes to Bruno and Ari and then I hear them get into their vehicle.
“Who are you talking to Tye?”
She put me on speak phone and told him to say hello.
“Um… hi…”
“Hi Phil.”
“Who the hell is that?”
“Oh I see you haven’t talk to me in almost three years and you act like you don’t know who you’re little sister is. I see how you going act… you’re all Grammy award winning Hollywood man now you don’t know nobody.”
“ADELE?!?”
“Yes.”
We talked for a few minutes and I was walking to the door because they were coming over to visit.
“I see nothing has changed come here girl.” Tye said as she hugged me and then moved so Phil could do the same. We walked into the living room and Tye started to look at all the pictures.
“Are you sure we should be in here?” She asked as she moved her head around motioning to the pictures of Grayson all over the room.
“I mean he’s going to find out anyway so I don’t care. That’s why I emailed you I need to tell him because my….”
“Momma…” We all turned around and I looked at Grayson walking towards me with his batman pjs and blanket.
“What baby?”
“I….I…” He started to cry and I ran over to him and picked him up as I felt he had a slight fever. The doctor told me that it would happen and to give him so Tylenol and if it didn’t break after that to bring him back. I walked over to the counter and rested him on my hip as I looked for what I wanted.
“Open up.”
“No I don’t want it.”
“Grayson open your mouth.”
“No I don’t want that… it’s nasty Momma.”
“Grayson Gene Hernandez open your mouth or I’m going to get a switch.” I said not thinking about who I was in company of. He opened his mouth and took the meds.
“Shallow it boy.” I said as I raised my hand to pop him and he swallowed the medicine and frown at the taste.
“I swear you’re bout as hard headed as your damn daddy.” I said as I walked back into the living and saw the look on Phil’s face.
“Holy shit!”
“Phil….” Tye and I said in unison
“I’m sorry….he’s B’s kid?”
“Yes.” I said as Grayson looked at Phil and smiled from ear to ear.
“What Monster?”
“He’s always with daddy Momma. Daddy here?” He asked as he smiled and started to move around so I would put him down.
“No Monster daddy’s not here… but you will see him soon I promise.” I said as I put him down and he ran over to Phil.
“Hay little man what’s your name?”
“Grayson.”
“Wow really… how old are you?”
“Two.” He said as he held up two fingers and looked at Phil.
We talked for a few hours and when Grayson finally fell asleep I took a picture of him asleep on Phil on the couch.
“He’s really a good kid Addie.” Phil said.
“Thank you.”
“Why didn’t you tell Bruno you were pregnant?”
“I didn’t know until months later y’all and I figure he was with Sasha and they were living happily ever after with their made up baby.”
“You knew she wasn’t pregnant?” Tye asked as she smiled at Grayson.
“Girl yes. That bitch only said that because she knew he would stay with her and he was about to blow you… I bet she gave him so wack ass excuse like she lost it or something.”
“She told he she had a miscarriage.”
“I knew it… and here I was really pregnant with his baby.” I said as Phil looked over at me.
“You know this is going to crush him right and I have to tell him he’s my best friend?”
“How is this going to crush him?” I asked annoyed at him.
“He hasn’t been in his son’s life of almost three years… you were alone and pregnant and he was out…”
“Living his dreams… I didn’t say anything because I didn’t want to ruin what he had worked so hard for. I didn’t want to ruin his clean guy image if people saw him with his son.”
“And you think this won’t? Bruno Mars is a dead beat father? Come on Addie… you know this is going to break his heart that you didn’t tell him.”
“How you do you think I feel Phillip? I have to work two jobs, raise a little boy and I’m in school full time. I have to look at the face of the man who broke my heart every day because our son looks, and acts just like him. How do you think I feel seeing Bruno on TV or hearing the song he wrote of me on the radio all the time?” I asked as I felt the tears fall as Tye hit his leg and jumped up to hug me.
“We won’t tell him Adele we promise… don’t we Phil?”
“You have two weeks and if you don’t tell him I’m going too.” Phil said as he looked down and the mini clone Bruno in his arms.

Grayson

Addie
♠ ♠ ♠
Mistakes comment and Subscribe?