Pretty Little Liars.

Cool

“Toby?” I brushed the tear that was rolling down his face away with my thumb and he smiled at me

“She get’s what she wants. I don’t have a choice, If I could have stopped her Mom from marrying my Dad, I would have done. I’d have never met her” I jumped forward and put my arms around his neck. I barely noticed that he’d started crying, which made me pull back to look at his face.

“What’s up?”

“I have to deal with too much right now, I can’t do it”

“Don’t you dare talk like that”

“Sorry”

“I know what it’s like, its difficult. But when you have someone to help you through it, it makes you feel better about the situation... Come on, lets go to dinner”

***

“So, Toby. Are you working?”

“Not at the moment Sir, But I’ve been looking for some part time work, on weekends”

“I see” He coughed and I gave him a look

As Toby was next to me I saw him clench up slightly so I put my hand on his thigh and squeezed it reassuringly. To which he jumped, causing me to jolt my hand away.

I put my elbow on the table and rested my head on my hand, moving food around my plate every so often. There was an awkward silence, until my Mom broke it.

“Mackenzie, Elbows off the table please” I looked at her and moved my elbows without a fuss.

Toby was finished so I decided there’d be no point in him waiting for me.

“Well, That was nice, Thanks Mom, we’re going back upstairs”

“Thankyou Mrs Smith”

“Please, call me Jennifer”

***

“Wow, you’re already on a first name basis. I think she likes you!” I sat Indian style on my bed and he sat in front of me.

“You know, we need nicknames for each other” I suggested because I thought it would be cool, but he thought differently.

“You could have just told me you’re embarrassed to be with me” He gave a light chuckle but I knew he was serious.

“You really think that?”

“Kenzie is kinda cool” That cheered me up.

“I could call you T”

“That’d be cool”

“You sure do say cool alot!”

“I know...”

“You are adorable” His eyes widened, “In my defence, I wasn’t supposed to say that out loud” I held my hands up in surrender