Sequel: For All I Know
Status: completed!!! sequel on the way...

The Middle

Chapter 9

Pat texted me to let me know that he was leaving the hospital, but I didn’t get it until I got out of the shower. When I stepped out of the bathroom, I ran right into him. Literally.

“Whoa! I don’t move that fast, honey. We haven’t even gone on our first date yet.”

I rolled my eyes at him and walked past him and into his bedroom to find my bag of clothes. He followed me. I turned around and just glared at him.

“What, you think you can just stand there and watch me change? I don’t think so, buddy. Out.”

Pat chuckled. “That wasn’t my intention. I came in to see if you were okay.”

“Well, can this conversation wait until I’m dressed.”

He nodded. He shut the door behind him when he left.

After changing into some clean clothes, I walked out into the living room. Pat sat on the couch in silence. I didn’t know what to say. I wasn’t quite sure he was acting like this.

“Pat? You okay?”

He turned around and looked at me.

“I don’t know. I was worried about you all day after you told me what today was. If I would’ve known, I never would’ve taken so much time with Ryan today.”

I sighed and walked over to sit beside him. I looked over at him and saw that he was incredibly sympathetic. Again, I could see myself falling for this man…..fast.

“Pat, it’s fine. I got to do something today that I should’ve done a long time ago. It was nice actually. Although, I must tell you, I still haven’t found anything to wear to this gala.”

Pat looked over at me with wide eyes.

“So you’re not re-considering?”

She scoffed then giggled.

“No, what made you think that?”

“Well, I thought that you were just joking when we were talking last night. I was also thinking about that all day too. By the way, Ryan knows and he is ecstatic.”

I rolled my eyes. “Of course he is. He wants me to marry you, Pat.”

Pat chuckled. “Now, would that be such a bad thing?”

My eyes grew wide. “Holy shit, Kane. We haven’t even gone on our first date, and now you’re talking marriage. Scratch that, you’re talking crazy.”

He burst out in laughter. “I’m kidding. I’m not ready to get married. I’m still a spring chicken.”

“Haha. Well, I’m off to see our little superstar. Can I bother you to borrow your car? Mine’s still at the hospital. It’s been there for a few days actually.”

Pat handed me a set of keys. Looking down, I noticed they were mine. I raised my eyebrow.

“Before you say anything, they were in your coat pocket. I just took them to bring your car back here. I had Tazer follow in my car when we left the hospital today.”

“It’s fine. Thank you. I was beginning to get worried about it staying there too long.”

I smiled, gave him a hug and walked out of the condo.

At the hospital

I walked into Ryan’s room with bags of Chinese food. I had called Nat before to give her the heads up that I would be bringing Ryan’s dinner. When he saw me his eyes widened.

“Shouldn’t you be looking for something to wear?”

I rolled my eyes.

“Look, buddy. I know you know about the date with Pat. To be honest, I don’t know if I’m going to go.”

His face fell.

“Why not? Don’t you like Pat?”

I smiled.

“Yes, I do, but I don’t have anything to wear and I don’t have enough time to go find something. I’m not sure exactly how dressy I have to look. You know me, Ryan, I don’t like being all fancy. I like sweats and t-shirts.”

Ryan rolled his eyes.

“You’re just trying to find an excuse to get out of this. You have time tomorrow to find something and you know it. Why are trying to get out of this? Really?”

I sighed. My brother could always see through me. Sometimes I forget how young he is.

“I just feel awkward. Out of nowhere, I’m suddenly showing up at galas with Pat. I mean, yes, I have met some of the other players, but I’ll feel so out of place.”

Ryan put his hand on my knee.

“Don’t think about that. Think about you and Pat. You’ll have a great time, I know it. You’re just thinking about it too much.”

I smiled at him. He was right. I would have a good time. Now, all I had to was find something to wear. I walked over to where I placed the bags of food then looked back at Ryan.

“Hungry?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pat POV

I was sitting around the condo after practice. I was pondering on the conversation that Claire and I had before she left. She did tell me that she didn’t have something to wear yet. I didn’t want her to feel like a gold-digger or a puck bunny, but I wanted her to be the best looking girl at the gala. Not that she’d have to try too hard, she was a beautiful woman, but I wanted her to feel special. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and I made the one phone call I knew would help me out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Claire POV

I had a great night with Ryan. After we ate our Chinese, we watched some of our favourite movies. After our third movie, Finding Nemo, ended, Ryan was getting sleepy so I decided it was time for to leave.

On the way back to Pat’s I put more thought into what I was going to where to this gala. Ryan, without knowing it, convinced me that going to this gala with Pat could only result in something good. I had a smile on my face as I pictured the perfect dress in my head, and Pat in a nice suit. Of course, my smile faded as I realized the dress in my mind was much more than I could afford.

I reached Pat’s place and could feel myself become incredibly tired. I walked in a very little lights were left on. Pat obviously had gone to bed. I turned off the lights in the kitchen and living on my way to the guest room. Pat had told me that he would clean it for me today. I didn’t think he would after he came back from the hospital, but I was wrong. I still couldn’t stay in there, however, because there was a woman in the guest bed. I was getting confused. Did Pat forget that I was coming back here? Who is this woman? I thought to myself as I walked to Pat’s room, hoping he wasn’t in too deep of a sleep. I knocked then let myself in. Pat was still awake, laying on his bed watching tv. I put my hands on my hips and stared at him. He raised an eyebrow at me.

“What’s that look for? Did Ryan say something to you about me?”

I shook my head at him. “No, I came in here to tell you not to sit on me when you get up in the morning. I’m sleeping on the couch.”

His eyes got wide. “Why would you stay on the couch? The guest roo--- oh! Erica.”

I sighed. “Yes, Erica. Who is she anyway? I walked in and if I had been any less awake, I probably would have climbed into that bed with her.”

Pat chuckled. “She’s my sister. I forgot that she was staying here tonight. I called her earlier and she said she needed to get away, and she was already on her way here. I’m sorry I didn’t text you to let you know sooner. But you don’t have to stay on the couch. It’s not like you haven’t slept in here before.”

I ran my hand through my hair. “I know that, Pat, but it’s different now.”

“How the hell is it different? What’s changed other the fact that I asked you out on a date? May I remind you, that the same night that I asked you out, you slept in here.”

I sighed. “Pat, please don’t argue with me. I’ve had a long day. I don’t want to argue with you. I just want to get some sleep. I have to work in the morning.”

“Well then let’s not argue and just go to sleep.”

I grabbed some pajamas from my bag and went into the bathroom to change.

After I changed, I put my clothes into my bag and walked out to the living room. I didn’t want to argue with Pat, but I just wanted to be by myself for the night. I heard footsteps and knew what was coming. Before he reached the couch, I sat up and shot Pat a sympathetic look.

“Pat, please. I just want to be alone tonight.”

I saw his shoulders fall and I immediately felt guilty. I walked over to him and gave him a hug.

“It has nothing to do with you, personally. I just need some time to myself tonight. Seeing as what today is, I’ve really shared this day with anyone other than Ryan. Plus I’m still adjusting living here, and I don’t think your sister would like it if she woke up to me walking out of your room.”

Pat gave my shoulders a squeeze and left a small kiss on my forehead.

“Okay, goodnight Claire.”

I laid down on the couch, closed my eyes and began to dream of what tomorrow would bring….
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's chapter 9!! I'm going to be adding all the chapters I have typed up so far. I need to get these out before I can continue =)

Read.Comment.Subscribe