Sequel: For All I Know
Status: completed!!! sequel on the way...

The Middle

Chapter 10

I woke up the next morning with a sore neck. Looking at my surroundings I quickly realized why. I didn’t sleep in Pat’s comfy bed. Instead, I slept on the couch, which may be comfortable to sit on, but not to sleep on.

I stood up and stretched my arms above my head. I wasn’t entirely awake until I heard a voice echo through the apartment.

“You must be Claire.”

I tried to just turn my head, but that hurt my neck so I turned my whole body and saw the wide-awake appearance of the girl who was sleeping in my bed. She walked up to me and stuck out he hand for me to shake.

“I’m Erica, Pat’s sister. Sorry that I took your room. I’m used to sleeping in there when I pop down to Chicago for a couple of days.”

I didn’t really know what to say, so I just nodded and shook her hand. She chuckled at me.

“You have to be one of, if not the quietest of Pat’s girlfriends I’ve ever met.”

I shook my head and took that moment to finally speak.

“I’m not his girlfriend.”

Erica raised her eyebrow at me.

“Oh, I’m sorry. The way he was talking about you on the phone, I just assumed. You’re going as his date to the gala tonight, no?”

I nodded my head.

“Yea, I am. I still need to find something to wear though. I’ll have to look after I’m done work.”

Erica smiled a smile that I have seen before. The smile that Pat wears when he’s up to something. I decided not to pay any attention to it right then, though. It would probably rack my brain all day and I really needed to get going.

“Oh, okay. Well maybe I’ll see you later. I’ll be in town for a few days. You can have your room tonight, though. I’ll sleep on the couch.”

I shook my head.

“No, no, it’s fine. You can take the guest room. It’s not my room in the least. Pat’s only loaning it to me until I’m able to stay at the hospital again.”

I mentally slapped myself. I wasn’t sure what pat had told her about me and I didn’t want her getting the wrong impression.

“Yea, Pat told me about Ryan. I’m so sorry for what you have to go through. I can imagine it would be difficult to deal with at times.”

I saw that her smile was quite genuine. I smiled back in return.

“Yea, it can be. Listen, I hate to cut this short, but I’ve got to get ready for work. Maybe I’ll see you later?”

She nodded and I walked into the bathroom, knowing my work uniform was still hanging in there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After my shower, I noticed that Erica had left. I took that little time to myself to gather my thoughts. I knew that Pat would be busy today, but I wanted to know what he told Erica about me and Ryan. I had hoped he didn’t say we were dating or anything. I didn’t want to look like a gold-digger because I live here and my brother, who’s dying of cancer, took a liking to Pat.

I shrugged off those thoughts as I finished my morning coffee and walked out of the condo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pat’s POV

I was at the rink, getting out of my gear when I looked down at my phone. Erica sent me a message saying she was on her way to the arena. I smiled to myself hoping that she found what I was looking for.

Almost as if she was right on time, Erica arrived at the locker room just as I was finishing getting changed. I was playing with my tie when she walked up to me.

“I found out her size, now we just need to look for a dress.” I smiled and Erica raised her eyebrow at me, “are you sure she’s going to be oaky with this, Pat?”

I shrugged my shoulders.

“I hope so. She keeps saying she needs something to wear and I know she works til 3 and we have to be at the gala by 5. That doesn’t give her much time to find something. I just want her to have something ready so she can’t back out. I know she’ll have a good time if she just allows herself to.”

Erica grinned from ear to ear, then a voice came up from beside us.

“Well, look at Kaner getting all domesticated and romantic.”

Erica laughed as I slapped Jon upside the head.

“Screw off, Tazer.”

I picked up my bag, and Erica and I left the arena to go dress shopping. Yes, I , Patrick Kane, was going dress shopping.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Claire POV

I was bouncing back and forth on the balls of my feet behind the counter. I was so bored. Not many people were in the United Center today, seeing as it was only a Pee-Wee game. The few people that did come up wanted some of the most complicated orders though. I wanted to scream and rip my hair out. I knew after how this shift was going why only one person could run the concession stand on these days.

I kept looking up at the time, counting down the minutes til I got to leave. I still needed to find something to wear to this gala. I knew that there was no backing out now, so I sat and pondered what I wanted my dress to look like and think of stores that I could afford to go into. Not many ideas came to mind, as I don’t normally spend time thinking about dressy clothes, but I did have the initiative to at least go out and look. If I didn’t find anything, Pat would have to take me to the gala in jeans and t-shirt.

Then I thought back to Erica. I was still puzzled as to why Pat would tell her about me. I was nothing more than a friend. I guess I’m thinking too much into things, but it was still bothering me. I decided, however, I wouldn’t dwell on it too much today. Pat was looking forward to the gala, and Ryan wanted to only hear good things, so I kept my mouth shut.

Finally it was time to leave work. I hopped off the counter, seeing as I had been sitting on it, swinging my feet for the last hour or so. I clocked out and walked out to my car. As I was driving down, I could’ve sworn I saw Pat and Erica walking out of a fancy dress shop, but I didn’t do a double take. My mind was playing tricks on me, I thought. I was officially going insane.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pat’s POV

Erica and I had gone to five different stores. It was difficult finding the perfect dress. Erica and I had different ideas as to what we thought Claire would like. I was thinking more simple, but still elegant. Erica was going for flashy, almost like something you take out of Lady Gaga’s closet.

Finally at the last store, Erica decided to let me choose. Of course, I wanted to find one that would somewhat match a suit that I already owned. I saw many “okay” ones, but I wanted this to be perfect. I wanted Claire to have a night she’d remember. She deserved a night out, and I was planning on giving her just that.

Then I saw it. The perfect dress. It didn’t have “too much noise” as the lady in the store said. It was beautiful, I just hoped she’s appreciate it. That, or she didn’t leave work early to try and go buy one herself.

I looked down at my watch, 3:07. My eyes went wide and I quickly, yet politely, grabbed the dress and brought it up to the counter. Erica looked at me like I was a mad man.

“She got off work almost 10 minutes ago.”

Erica’s eyes widened also and she nodded.

Thankfully, the lady at the store was a fast worker and we were out of the store by 3:09. Erica was surprised how fast I made it home. She was hanging on to the “holy shit” handle above here window, but I just smirked to myself. I hoped I beat Claire home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Claire’s POV

I got back to Pa---home before Pat did. He had a practice today, so I figured he might be out for lunch with some of the guys. I walked into my room and quickly changed my clothes. I hadn’t talked to Ryan all day, so I figured since I still couldn’t find something to wear I’d take the longer way to the hospital and window shop as I drove.

As I walked back out of the apartment, I could’ve sworn I felt eyes on me. I turned around and saw no one so I just shrugged it off. I needed to go see Ryan to get my head screwed back on straight. Clearly, I was going insane.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pat’s POV

Erica and I watched Claire leave the apartment. I hoped she wasn’t going out to buy something to wear. Then I remembered she worked today, so she was probably on her way to see Ryan. She probably hadn’t spoken to him all day.

Erica took the dress into Claire’s room and placed it on her bed. She also put the shoes that she had picked out for Claire on the floor.

I was so happy that Erica was here. Even though she wasn’t too spot on with Claire’s fashion sense, it still made it a whole lot easier for me. Plus, I missed her. I felt like I never saw her or my other two sisters since I moved out to Chicago five years ago. Other than holidays and the odd trip they make down here, I get a phone call once a month, and a couple of texts during the week.

I walked up behind Erica and gave her a huge hug.

“Thank you. You didn’t have to do this for me. You don’t even know Claire, and she’s not even my girlfriend. Yet, here you are.”

She smiled at me. “Pat, you know I’d do anything to help you out. You’re just lucky I booked this week off work in advance. Now, what time do you think Claire will be home? She needs time to get her hair an---“

I put my hand up in front of Erica’s face.

“Claire doesn’t wear much make-up and I’m sure her hair won’t take her that long. But, if you’re really that worried about it, I can call Ryan. He’ll help us out.”

Erica smiled and pushed me towards my cell phone that sat on the coffee table.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Claire’s POV

On the way to hospital, I didn’t see a dress that I liked in the windows. That made me a little sad, seeing as I knew I wouldn’t have time to go into a store and search for something to wear. I shrugged it off. The only thing that I wanted on my mind was the fact that I was going to visit Ryan.

When I reached his room he was on the phone. I didn’t want to disturb him, so I just sat down in the chair I usually sat in beside his bed. My ears perked up, however when I heard Pat’s name.

“Yea, Pat, I can do that. No problem…..Yeah, I’m sure she’ll love it...No, I won’t tell her.”

I guessed that Ryan didn’t know I was here, seeing as there was something he wasn’t allowed to tell me. I half-smiled to myself. I didn’t know what Pat was up to, but if it involved my little brother, it was usually a big deal.

Ryan hung up the phone and turned to me.

“You need to go back home… soon.”

I raised my eyebrow at him.

“Umm.. okay. Why is that?”

Ryan shook his head.

“I’ve said too much already, but you know I don’t like lying to you. Just make your visit short tonight, okay?”

I laughed at my brother’s mannerisms. He was excited and irritated all at the same time. His arms were flailing and he was rolling his eyes.

“So…Pat’s got something planned, huh?”

Ryan groaned.

“Claire! I can’t say anything! Please, just tell me about your day or something.”

I was having fun bugging him with this. I knew he really didn’t want to tell me. I also knew that If I kept pushing, he would eventually tell me. I looked at him, and he was staring at me, waiting for me to speak.

“Well?”

I dry chuckled.

“Well, what? What do you want me to say, Ry? I walk in and you’re talking all “top secret” with Pat about me. I’m not supposed to be curious?”

I smiled at him, a smile which he gladly returned.

“Claire… you’re going to look beautiful tonight. I just know it.”

It took me a couple seconds, but then it clicked.

“Oh my gosh Ryan, that’s it, isn’t it? Pat bought me a dress to wear tonight.”

Ryan’s mouth dropped and then his arms started going will again.

“You’re not supposed to know! Act surprised! Please, for me? Oh my, Pat’s gonna get mad at me for letting it slip.”

I put my hand on his shoulder to try and calm him down.

“Ry, I’m not going to say a word to Pat. I’ll act surprised, I promise. I’ll take a picture so you can see what it looks like. Okay?”

He sets his arms back by his sides and nodded.

“Okay, do you want me to leave now, just in case you say anything else?”

Ryan frantically nodded his head. I chuckled and gathered my things.

“So much for the visit, huh?”

“Claire! Go!”

I waved and walked out the door. I saw Nat walking down the hallway.

“Hey, that was a quick visit.”

I chuckled.

“Yeah, Ryan and Pat have this secret that Ryan may or may not have begun to spill. I was kicked out just in case he said anything else.”

Nat chuckled.

“Okay, well have a good night. See you tomorrow?”

I nodded.

“Yepp, you sure will.”

I left the hospital and got in my car, still chuckling to myself. Starting my car, I drove towards home and to this mystery dress that may or may not be waiting for me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here we go!!! =)

Please let me know what you think of the story so far =)