‹ Prequel: Dangerous Light
Sequel: My Somebody
Status: complete. be sure to subscribe to the sequel.

A Ship in Harbor is Safe

ten

“So, you can’t tell anybody.”

Jared looks at Athena, “anybody?”

“If you tell one person, it’ll get around. And that’s not good.”

He smirks, “you just don’t want Jordan to know.”

Athena shrugs, “you and I both know that he’d be livid…”

“How long has it been since you two have talked, anyway?”

Biting her lip, Athena bounces her leg slightly as her sandal hits the bottom of the truck’s glove box. “About two weeks.”

“When are you gonna talk to him again?”

She shifts uncomfortably, “I don’t know, Jared. I honestly don’t.”

“This is about Heather, isn’t it?”

Athena sighs, “I better go get checked in…”

“Don’t let her ruin you and Jordan, Athena,” Jared says quietly, as Athena opens the truck’s passenger door.

She gently pulls her oversized suitcase out behind her, setting it upright on its wheeled bottom. Silently, she stares at Jared as she stands on the curb.

“I mean that,” Jared says, looking her in the eye.

With a sigh, Athena puts her hand on the door. “Thanks for the ride, Jared. I’ll text you when I get there.”

The sound of the truck’s door closing echoes down the empty passenger drop-off area and Athena’s wheels clicking in the dips of the concrete echo almost just as badly. When she reaches the doors, she looks over her shoulder to see Jared’s truck still parked in the same spot. Slowly, she lifts her hand to gently wave at him.

He smiles, returning her wave. Then, he begins to shoo her playfully.

Athena chuckles to herself, proceeding to drag her suitcase through the automatic doors, walking into the desolate airport.

Image


“I’m sitting by my gate, waiting for them to call my flight.”

Sidney chuckles, “you sound so tired.”

“And you sound cheery. As always.” Athena smiles and allows her heavy eyelids to fall, just for a moment. “This airport is so quiet right now.”

“Which airport are you in?” Sidney hadn’t asked before.

She blinks, “Montreal… I think.”

He laughs, “you think? When was the last time you slept?”

“I’m gonna sleep on the plane… I don’t wanna sleep for a day when I get there.”

“We could spend a day napping,” Sidney suggests.

“You don’t exactly strike me as the napping type, Sidney.”

His contagious laugh passes through the phone, making her smile. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“You just seem like one of those, standard, eight hour a night, guys.”

“Hey, I can nap with the best of ‘em!”

Athena chuckles quietly, covering her face with her free hand. “Are you gonna be competitive with that, too?”

“It’s not a competition if I know I’ll win.”

“Oh,” Athena laughs, “we’ll see about that.”

Sidney laughs, “yeah, we will.”

Over the PA system, Flight 111 to Halifax, Nova Scotia is called.

“That was my flight,” Athena says quietly.

Sidney sounds just as enthusiastic to end the phone call as Athena does, “yeah.”

“So, I’ll see you when I get there,” Athena bites her lip, slowly standing up from her seat.

“Yeah,” Sidney says, “I’ll be there. Just take a nap on the plane, you’ll be here before you know it.”

She chuckles, tucking a chunk of her hair behind her ear, “I’ll try. I’ll see you soon.”

“Just a couple hours,” Sidney quietly reminds her.

“Bye, Sid.” Athena whispers, biting her lip.

“Bye, Athena.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I ♥ getting feedback from you.