‹ Prequel: Dangerous Light
Sequel: My Somebody
Status: complete. be sure to subscribe to the sequel.

A Ship in Harbor is Safe

eleven

Athena pulls her cardigan, which was once fitted, around her frame a little tighter as she continues walking, following the signs directing her to baggage claim.

Eventually, she doesn't need the signs anymore. In the distance, she can see multiple of the large conveyer belts, circling their metal centers with bags of luggage that peep through between the bodies of those standing around, waiting and searching for which is theirs.

Flight 111’s is nearly empty, though. Athena slowly makes her way over, using her side belt loops to hike up her jeans. She stops by the station, crossing her arms and casually looking around. Her gaze follows along the walls of the open space, where chairs are set up.

When her gaze lands on a pair of familiar eyes, staring right back at her, a smile pulls on her face.

Sidney smiles back almost immediately, standing up and making his way over. “Athena,”

Her smile doesn’t budge when Sidney’s arms engulf her. “Sid,” her voice is slightly muffled by his chest.

“You still haven’t slept, have you?” Sidney asks, holding her at an arm’s length to examine her.

Athena bites her lip, shaking her head. “I tried.”

He frowns, “you look like you haven’t slept in days.”

She shrugs, “I’ll be fine.”

For a moment, Sidney just looks at her. Athena doesn’t look away, either. They both, however, jump apart when the loud noise of the conveyer belt firing up erupts from beside them.

“Good God, those things are loud,” Athena whispers, resting one of her hands on her neck.

Sidney chuckles, “yeah, they are.”

A large black suitcase is the third on the belt, and Athena steps forward to collect it as it arrives.

“Here,” Sidney steps around her, “I’ll get it.”

Speechless, Athena watches as he scoops the bag up with ease. “I… I could’ve gotten it.”

“It’s okay,” Sidney smiles, pulling the handle up out of the suitcase’s back. “I got it. You ready to go, start that nap?”

Laughing at him, Athena smiles, “we’re really gonna nap?”

“Yeah,” he nods, casually taking her hand in his, “c’mon.”

Athena is taking twice as many steps to keep up with Sidney’s large strides, “I thought you were kidding about that.”

“No,” he smiles, shaking his head. “I’m tired, too.”

As soon as the word ‘tired’ leaves his mouth, Athena uses her free hand in attempt to shield her yawn from the world around her.

The walk to Sidney’s vehicle is quiet, only filled with the noise of Athena’s sandals making a clopping noise on the concrete. Her eyes throb slightly from the sunlight, but Sidney guiding her toward the vehicle eases the pain in her eyes – and head – just a little bit. She is able to focus on just putting one foot in front of the other.

When they stop behind a charcoal colored Range Rover, Athena yawns into her hand again.

Sidney smiles, “you’re probably gonna pass out on the way home, aren’t you?”

“No,” Athena smiles, letting him walk her to the vehicle’s passenger door.

He left the suitcase behind the Range Rover, replacing it with a set of keys. Pressing a button, he unlocks the vehicle and pulls the door open for Athena. “You’re definitely gonna pass out on the way home,” he smirks, as soon as she sits back in the seat.

Athena chuckles to herself as Sidney closes the door. She takes her time pulling on her seatbelt, not looking back when Sidney opens and closes the hatchback. Athena quickly pulls her phone out of her pocket, sending a two worded text message to Jared: I’m here.

Starting the car up, Sidney smirks, “you ready?”

With a yawn, Athena nods.

Image


Athena yawns subtly, rubbing her eyes before slowly opening them. Without a faint light from the hallway, the room she is in would be completely dark. Slowly, she turns her head on the pillow to look around the room. To no avail, though, as she only sees darkness. Licking her lips, she slowly pulls the heavy, warm, blanket off of her torso. “Sid?”

Silence is the only thing that meets her ears. Carefully climbing out of the large, soft bed, Athena hikes her jeans up and walks toward the slightly ajar bedroom door.

The hallway that she walks down is rather long, and ends at a set of stairs with a railing that overlooks a large living room – it is similar to her childhood home, only nicer and more modern.

In the living room, the large television is on and playing on a low volume. Sports highlights flash across the screen, illuminating and darkening the entire room.

Her gaze wanders around the living room, stopping when they land on the end of the large couch.

Sidney is reclined on the end of the brown sofa, in a pair of sweat pants and a hoodie, with his mouth slightly agape. His quiet snores overpower whatever sound the television may be making.

Athena smirks, turning around to head back toward the bedroom where she awoke. On her way, she passes many closed doors, but doesn't bother prying into what may be behind them. Her destination is the last door on the right, the furthest door down the hallway. Finding the light switch once inside, she flicks it and watches the room light up.

Quite possibly one of the largest beds she’s come across rests across the room, with a dark headboard and footboard to surround it. All of the furniture in the room corresponds with the dark, mahogany theme. Her black suitcase nearly blends into the footboard, but she manages to find it and drag it into the master suite’s bathroom.

Flipping the light switch, she looks into the large mirror at her reflection. One of her hands finds her hair, entangling in the messy locks that would soon look dark from grease, “yeah, I need a shower.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Although I wish I had the power to, I cannot read minds. So, I have no idea what you guys think about what's going on in the story. Anything would do at this point, even a simple "it's good" -- if that's what you think. If you don't like it, tell me why. Please, I don't bite. :)

Oh, and Happy President's Day!