‹ Prequel: Dangerous Light
Sequel: My Somebody
Status: complete. be sure to subscribe to the sequel.

A Ship in Harbor is Safe

thirteen

“So, this is what you do,” Athena says quietly, pulling the blanket up to her chin.

Sidney chuckles, “no. I’m gonna have to get up soon and go to the gym.”

Athena scrunches her nose, trying to hide her face behind the blanket.

“What’s that look for?” Sidney laughs.

“The gym,” Athena shakes her head, “this early in the morning.”

Laughing, Sidney nods. “You don’t have to go, if you don’t want to.”

“When are you gonna be back?”

“I should be back,” Sidney tries to cover his yawn with one of his large hands, “by eleven. We can go out to breakfast or something after.”

Smiling, Athena moves her mouth above the blanket so Sidney will hear her whisper, “you eat a lot.”

“It’s my secret to success,” he smirks.

“I thought persistence was your key to success,” Athena smiles.

He laughs, “I have many secrets to my success. Those just happen to be two of them.”

“I should probably start taking notes or something. Maybe I could still be successful at something,” Athena jokes quietly.

Laughing, Sidney gets out of the bed and stretches obnoxiously. Pulling his hoodie back down over his stomach, he shrugs, “it’s never too late to try. You just have to figure out what you wanna be successful at.”

“I’ll sleep on it,” Athena whispers, pulling the blanket up to her chin.

Sidney speaks, in his normal, cheery tone, as he walks to the bathroom, “you got four hours.”

“Mhm,” Athena mumbles into the pillow, facing the side of the bed that Sidney recently abandoned.

Image


Ma belle, Max’s text message reads, do you have any idea what time it is?

Athena quickly replies, Yes, I do, Maxime. It’s 10:40 and I’ve got to figure out what to make for breakfast. I need some help.

Unless you’re making me breakfast, I can’t help you.

Don’t be like that. Athena laughs to herself, leaning against the island counter and waiting for a reply.

It comes in quickly, who is ma belle making breakfast for?

Why do names have to be mentioned?

You act like I know him, or something.

Biting her lip, Athena stares at the screen of her phone. “Maybe because you do,” she whispers, tapping her nails against the marble beneath her arms. “But you can’t know that.” He’s a friend, is the best she can conjure in a timely manner.

A friend of mine, or a friend of yours?

Athena narrows her eyes at the phone, “stop making me regret asking you for help.”

By your lack of response I’m going to assume he’s a friend of mine.

Very bold assumption, Mr. Talbot.

You finally bag Gronk, or what? Max almost immediately replies.

She laughs out loud to the empty kitchen, pushing her nearly dry hair out of her face, thankful that he is not there to see her face overcome by a blush. Oh god no.

Well, in that case I’d make some pancakes and sausage. Another text from Max rolls in immediately after the first, Sid likes orange juice too... jsyk.

Who says I’m cooking for Sid?? For five minutes, Athena stares at her phone waiting, in vain, for a reply from Max.
♠ ♠ ♠
This one is short, too. For that, I apologize. I'm just so excited with the feedback on chapter twelve that I'm feeling the need to stay up and post this one. Thank you guys, again! You have no idea how much I appreciate your comments!
xoxo

P.S. -- My flu bug is still raging, but I'm hoping to get another chapter up during/by this upcoming weekend. Too bold of a challenge? I guess we'll see. (That would be a new record three in a week for me, if you're keeping track. I certainly am.)