‹ Prequel: Dangerous Light
Sequel: My Somebody
Status: complete. be sure to subscribe to the sequel.

A Ship in Harbor is Safe

fifteen

“Oh, you’re still alive.”

Athena scoffs, “uh, yeah. What, did you think I’d be dead?”

Jared laughs, “I don’t know.”

Rolling her eyes, Athena shakes her head. “What’s up, Jared?”

“Jordan asked about you…”

She shrugs, “what’d you tell him?”

“Well, you’ve been in Nova Scotia for a week now. What am I supposed to tell him?”

“What did you tell him, Jared?”

Jared speaks quickly, “I haven’t told him anything. I’m in the bathroom right now.”

Athena covers her mouth, trying to muffle her giggle. “What’d you do, run from him?”

“Jared! I hear you on the phone!” Jordan’s voice is muffled, but distinct. “Don’t act like your talkin’ to somebody and takin’ a shit!”

“Dammit,” Jared growls.

“Tell him I’m in California.” Athena says simply. “I’ll talk to you later.”

Athena’s phone vibrates as soon as she ends Jared’s call. It is a text message, from Sidney.

Hey, wanna do something fun?

Smiling, she responds, Sure :)

Be ready in 30

Looking down at her cotton shorts and baggy gray shirt, Athena quickly turns out of the kitchen and jogs toward the stairs.

Image


Before the cab even comes to a complete stop in front of the building’s door, the man driving speaks, “he already paid.”

“Okay. Thank you,” Athena smiles, carefully exiting the car and closing the door behind her. She clutches her large purse close to her side as she pulls the heavy door open as someone opens it for her from inside.

“Hi,” the young man smiles, holding the door open for her. “You’re Athena, right?”

The blonde woman nods, “yeah… where is Sidney?”

“Oh,” the young kid releases a goofy laugh as he pushes another door open for Athena, “he’s out on the rink.”

She nods, “thanks.”

When the door closes soundly behind her, she notices the echo it creates and just how quiet the entire rink is.

“I almost thought you stood me up!”

Smirking, Athena nods as she begins walking toward the team benches by the ice, “I thought about it, actually.”

“Oh, really?” Sidney laughs as he leans against the short wall, separating the bench from the ice.

Athena takes a seat on the bench in front of Sidney and nods, “yeah.”

Both Sidney and Athena look toward her purse when a loud ringing erupts from it.

“Ugh,” Athena rolls her eyes as she digs around for her phone. Glancing at the screen, she silences the device and drops it back in her purse. “So… why did you bring me here?”

He smiles, “we’re gonna skate.”

With a smile on her face, Athena tucks a portion of blonde hair behind her right ear. “Alright.”

“Your skates are behind the bench,” Sidney smirks before skating away from the benches.

Athena reaches behind the bench and pulls up a pair of very familiar skates. Inside of the skates is tucked a pair of socks. As quickly as she can, she removes her sandals and pulls the socks on. Her feet slide into the skates perfectly and she carefully tightens them before tying each skate. “So,” she stands up from the bench, leaving her purse behind, “how’d you get these?”

“I called in a favor,” Sidney smirks.

Athena steps onto the ice and slowly glides over to Sidney, “you’re getting all secretive on me.”

He smirks, watching her slowly skate circles around him. “You don’t like secretive?”

“Secretive? No.” Athena chuckles, “mysterious is more appealing. I’m just wondering who you got to ship these all the way here… I know I didn’t pack them.”

“I got them here,” Sidney smirks, grabbing for Athena’s hand, “that’s all that matters.”

Athena stops skating when Sidney grabs her hand, mostly by force. Slowly, she returns the smirk.

A loud ring erupts from the benches and Athena shakes her head, attempting to not roll her eyes.

“Who is that?” Sidney laughs, not letting go of her hand.

She shrugs, allowing his contagious laughter to infect her, “I don’t know.”

“Maybe you should go check it out.”

Athena feels Sidney watching her as she skates to the bench, and steps up into the closed off area. Bending down, she scoops her phone up and goes back out onto the ice. A scoff escapes her lips when she opens her missed calls notification. “It was Jordan.”

“What does he want?” Sidney asks quietly.

Athena shrugs, “I… I don’t know.”
♠ ♠ ♠
In honor of Sid's return, and the team's win, last night... here's another chapter.