‹ Prequel: Dangerous Light
Sequel: My Somebody
Status: complete. be sure to subscribe to the sequel.

A Ship in Harbor is Safe

twenty-nine

“Where’s Sid?”

Athena stops right outside of the garage bay, arms crossed, “I just dropped him off at the airport.”

“It’s been two days already?” Walt shrugs, “should’ve brought him to say goodbye.”

She shakes her head, “no, that’s okay. I got my fill of you two being together the other night.”

Walt smirks, “yeah, your boy can’t quite handle his alcohol, can he?”

“He doesn’t drink often.” Athena nearly spits the words at her father. The anger she’d suppressed for the remaining two days of Sidney’s visit, after the incident, rise through her body again – practically taking over. “But you knew that already.”

“Yeah, it wasn’t hard to tell.”

She glares at her father as she steps into the bay, “why would you do something like that then?”

“We were just loosenin’ up. Calm down.”

The urge to jump at her father almost takes her over the edge, but she just tangles her hands in her hair. “That’s not how he loosens up, Dad!”

Walt stands up straight, crossing his arms. “Why’re you getting so worked up?”

Athena shakes her head, the angry words spilling from her mouth before she can stop them, “he’s not Jordan, Dad! That’s not how he has a good time and you know it, but you knew he wouldn’t say no! Why would you do something like that?”

Walt’s eyes harden and he shakes his head, “watch your tone, first off. And in my defense, I had no idea he wouldn’t say no.”

Her lower lip falls open slightly as she shakes her head.

“And that seems to upset you,” Walt observes quietly.

Athena turns to watch her father exit the bay, lighting a cigarette. “What exactly?”

“That your boy isn’t Jordan.”

The venom returns and Athena shakes her head, “that doesn’t upset me.”

“Then why are you getting so defensive?” Cigarette smoke pours from Walt’s mouth and nostrils.

Athena shakes her head, “I can’t do this.”

Walt watches his daughter stomp toward his old, tan truck, as he takes another drag of his cigarette. As he lets the smoke out, she turns around while standing between the open door and the truck.

From across the lot, Athena shouts, “why are you being like this?!”

“I’m just tryin’ to show you what you don’t see!”

The young woman shakes her head, “and what’s that supposed to be?”

Walt flicks the ashes off of his cigarette, “take some time to think about it.”

Image


“How is ma belle? I haven’t heard from her.”

Sidney shrugs, turning the cell phone's speaker on and tossing it onto the bed, “she’s doing well, last time I heard from her.”

“Last time you heard from her?”

“Well, I got back from Thunder Bay about two days ago. I haven’t heard from her since.”

Max makes some sort of over exaggerated scoffing noise, “have you tried to call her?”

“No.”

“Why not?!”

Sidney shakes his head as he folds another shirt before dropping it into the suitcase. “We were fine until her dad came to visit.”

“What happened? You didn’t fuck something up, did you?”

He shakes his head, “no!”

Max doesn’t get a chance to speak again before Sidney continues talking.

“Not really…”

“Damn it, Sid!” Max nearly screams. “Let me sit down before you start.”

Rolling his eyes, Sidney stomps over to his dresser.

“Okay, what’d you do this time?”

“This time? Like there’s been a previous time?!”

“Just tell me what you did and let’s see if we can fix this mess,” Max pushes.

Sidney sighs loudly, shoving a pair of jeans into the suitcase. “Her dad and I got pretty messed up and she got really upset about that.”

“With you?”

“She blew up at me the next morning, but she apologized for it.”

“So is she upset with you?”

He shakes his head, “she apologized for taking her anger at her father out on me, so I’m gonna say no.”

“Hm,” Max sighs, “that’s so… odd, though. Why would she get upset about that?”

Thinking about the night that he drank with Athena’s father, Sidney shakes his head. “I honestly have no idea.”

Image


“Ma belle!”

Athena inwardly groans at Max’s overly cheerful voice, “too early to be that happy, Max.”

“It’s never too early to be as happy as I am right now, ma belle.”

“Why are you so happy?” Athena rolls onto her back, slowly letting her eyes open as she adjusts the phone to her ear.

“A little birdy told me that you’re coming to Pittsburgh.”

She nods, “who’s the birdy?”

“Your boyfriend, of course,” Max laughs, “which I must admit, I’m very jealous of him.”

“Who told you that Sidney is my boyfriend?” Athena sits straight up in the bed.

Max laughs, “guys don’t just fly to another province to visit a girl and meet her parents, Athena. Especially guys like Sid. And they certainty don’t invite girls to come to Pittsburgh during season.”

“That doesn’t mean he’s my boyfriend, Max.”

“Whatever you say, ma belle. I was actually calling to see if you’d like to stay with me while you’re here.”

She rubs her eyes, “um, wow. That’s a big invitation, Max.”

“I know. I just figured you’d have more fun here than at Mario’s.”

“Doesn’t Sid have his own place?”

“Haha, not yet. He sold the house, he’s actually working on getting an apartment today, but it’ll probably take at least a week for him to find a good apartment, until he finishes building his new house.”

Athena nods, “yeah, I’ll come stay with you.”

“Good choice, ma belle. We’ll have a blast.”

“Yeah, I’ll be pissed if you wake me up early like this, though.”

Max laughs, “you’ll get used to it.”

“Yeah,” she sighs, “well, I’ll call you when I get into town. You can come pick me up.”

“And then the real party will begin. Sleep well, ma belle.”

“See ya later, Max.” Athena hangs up the phone, allowing her mind to relax once again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for annoying you with my updates.

xoxo