‹ Prequel: Dangerous Light
Sequel: My Somebody
Status: complete. be sure to subscribe to the sequel.

A Ship in Harbor is Safe

thirty-six

"It's just... some little family get together because Eric's in town."

Sidney shakes his head, "that's not weird at all."

"Yeah, I know," Athena blinks and runs her fingers under her eyes to blend in her makeup. "But, I’ve pretty much been a member of their family since I was kid. I'm just super worried that it's gonna be awkward because I haven't talked to Jordan in over a week."

He shrugs, "you don't have to go."

"Yeah, I do. Linda's gonna be there and I can't leave her hanging."

Sidney watches as Athena fixes her hair and steps away from the mirror. "You look beautiful."

Turning away from the mirror, Athena smiles and makes her way over to Sidney. She kisses him gently on the lips. "I always knew there was a reason I kept you around."

Sidney smiles, moving quickly to catch Athena before she is out of his reach.

The noise that Athena makes as she jumps is louder than the noise that precedes it.

Before he can stop himself, Sidney is laughing at Athena's reaction.

"Sidney!" Her tone is a mixture of laughing and whining. She keeps both of her hands on her rear end, shielding it from another smack. "That one hurt."

Still laughing, Sidney attempts to compose himself and fails. "I'm sorry," he laughs.

Athena attempts to keep a straight face, but her attempt waivers. "I'm probably still gonna have a handprint on my ass when I get home."

"No, you won't. I barely even hit you." He smiles, grabbing her hips and slowly pulling her closer to him.

Athena smirks, gently returning Sidney's kiss. "I have to go now," she whispers against his lips.

"Just stay," he smirks, brushing his lips against hers.

"I'll try and make it quick." Athena nods, resting her hands on Sidney's biceps. "You can still come with me, if you want. I do feel bad, this feels like the first time I've really seen you in over a week."

Sidney shakes his head, "no, it's okay."

Image


"Why do you seem so nervous, Jordan?"

He shrugs, rubbing his face. "I don't know."

Linda looks up from the take-out menu. "You know."

"Eric and Tanya are up to something," he says quietly.

The older woman's eyebrows furrow.

"They found out about Heather and me. Now, with Athena coming over... I don't know, I just know how they can be."

She shakes her head, "I really don't think your brother cares, Jordan. He does want you to be happy, but he won't make Athena uncomfortable to get a point across."

"Yeah, but Tanya," Jordan rubs his face, looking over his hands to make eye contact with his mother.

"Give her a little credit, Jordan," Linda whispers.

He shakes his head, "I just don't want either of them to scare her away."

"They won't. If Athena was gonna be scared away, she would've stopped talking to you years ago."

Jordan laughs lightly, "thanks, Mom."

The doorbell ringing echoes through the house.

"Jordan!" Eric yells from the couch.

Shaking his head, Jordan slowly leaves the bar stool and exits the kitchen. "And you call me lazy."

"This isn't my house," Eric shrugs.

Jordan rolls his eyes, unlocking the door and pulling it open. The tense feeling melts out of his muscles and he smiles, "hey."

"How's the foot?" Athena smiles, hands folded in front of her stomach.

He pulls the door open, nodding as Athena walks in. "Set to play next week, in Dallas.”

"That's awesome!" Athena smiles, watching Jordan lock the door. "I've asked Sid, but he didn't know?"

Jordan nods, "yeah, that doesn't surprise me."

Athena quickly grabs Jordan's hand, preventing him from leaving the foyer.

Jordan turns and looks down at Athena's wide, blue eyes.

"What's going on?"

He shrugs, "with what?"

"You and Sid."

Jordan's lips form a tight line. "Can we not talk about this right now?"

"When will we? Just tell me."

"Ask Max."

Athena grabs Jordan's hand again, pulling him back. "I did. He's not talking either."

"I'll tell you before you leave. Can we just enjoy tonight, please?"

Athena sighs, "fine." She follows Jordan out of the foyer and into the living room, stopping in her tracks. “Tanya! Oh my God! What are you doing here?”

The blonde woman stands up, practically pushing Eric off of her to embrace Athena. "Thought you could use some girl time."

Athena smiles, "wow. Where's Parker?"

"He’s upstairs napping," Tanya says, pulling away. “Trip was rough on him.”

Caught off guard, Athena's eyes widen when an arm wraps tightly around her neck. “All bark, no bite, huh?”

"Eric!" Tanya exclaims.

Not saying anything, Athena puts her hands on Eric's arm. She looks to the kitchen, seeing Jordan come out with a paper in his hand. "Jordan!"

"Eric, get the fuck off her!"

Linda quickly leans out of the kitchen, "boys!"

Eric releases Athena, and both boys turn to look at their mother.

"Athena," Linda smiles as she walks out of the kitchen with open arms.

The young woman takes the opportunity to get away from Eric, embracing his mother. "How've you been?"

"I'm good. Henry's out on the porch, talking to Marc on the phone. Have you been eating? You weren’t this tiny last time I saw you." Linda holds the young woman at an arm's length.

Athena nods, "yeah. I've got a job and stuff now... a lot more active."

Linda nods, "that's good. Where are you staying now?"

"I'm... I'm in an apartment in the city."

"That's good," Linda nods.

Athena swallows heavily, nodding.

"C'mon," Jordan pulls Athena away, watching his mother retreat back to the kitchen.

"Does she not know?" Athena whispers.

Jordan shakes his head, sitting down on the couch without giving Athena an answer.

Athena resists the urge to bite her nails as she sits down next to Jordan, crossing her legs.

"So," Eric speaks nonchalantly, "how's the boyfriend?"

Both women's eyes widen as they look at Eric.

He shrugs, "what? He is your boyfriend, isn't he?"

Athena bows her head, shrugging.

"You guys live together and he bought you a Mercedes, it's safe to say you're dating."

Jordan just stares at the coffee table, attempting to ignore his older brother’s words.

"Um, he's fine," Athena shrugs.

"You should've brought him with you," Eric says.

"No, she shouldn't have," Tanya shakes her head. "That would've been awkward."

"He's not too busy to make time for family, is he?" Eric eggs on the conversation.

Tanya glares at her husband, "Eric, stop."

"Yes, please stop, Eric." Jordan glares at his brother.

Athena takes a deep breath, rubbing her clammy hands on her jeans. "I... I'll be right back."

Jordan glares at his brother as Athena steps over his feet and leaves the living room. "You took that too far."

"Somebody's gotta get her to see it, Jordan. I'm helping you."

Ignoring Eric, Jordan walks upstairs, passing an available bathroom on the way. He enters his room, breathing a sigh of relief when he sees the bathroom door cracked and light pouring out. He crosses the room, knocking on the threshold.

"Yeah?"

He slowly pushes the door open, frowning when he sees Athena sitting on the bathroom counter with a wad of tissue in her hand. "Please tell me Eric didn't make you cry."

"Eric didn't make me cry," Athena says, running the tissue under her eyes gently.

Jordan slowly enters the bathroom. "What's wrong, Athena?"

"Today was the first day in almost two weeks that Sidney's been home before dinner." She continues running the tissue under her eyes. "And he's so tired when he comes home. And then, he's gone before I wake up in the morning."

Jordan frowns, leaning against the wall.

"When Eric said that... it just hurt."

"Yeah, Eric's an asshole." Jordan takes his weight off of the wall, walking over to Athena. He slowly runs his thumbs under her eyes. "You shouldn't give him so much power."

She shrugs, "I can deal with it when I'm not reminded."

"And a big empty apartment doesn't remind you?" Jordan whispers, running his thumbs over Athena's warm cheeks.

Her words pack no punch, "just go ahead and say 'I told you so'."

Jordan shakes his head.

Athena clenches her eyes shut when she feels Jordan's lips on the top of her head.

"I don't wanna hurt you," he whispers into her hair.

Her eyes begin to sting again and she blinks in an attempt to hold them back.

When they fall onto Jordan's hands, he slowly pulls away. "Why are you crying now?"

"I miss you," Athena whispers as Jordan begins to brush her tears away again. "I don't like fighting with you. I just want my Bubba back."

Jordan smirks at the nickname. "I'm right here."

A light knock on the door causes them both to look toward the door, but neither move.

Tanya stands in the doorway. "Everything alright up here?"

Athena nods, closing her eyes and taking in the warmth of Jordan's hands on her face.

"I'll give you guys a minute. I wanna talk to you, Athena, before we go back downstairs."

Jordan sighs when Tanya pulls the bathroom door closed as she leaves.

Athena sighs as Jordan lets his hands fall, resting on each side of her on the counter.

"Look at me," he leans down, now eye level with Athena. "I'm not going anywhere."

She blinks, staring into Jordan's blue eyes. Her eyes close gently when Jordan presses his lips against her left temple, before he wraps his arms around her.

Athena returns the embrace. "Promise?"

Jordan nods, "I promise."
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm not sure how you guys are taking the news of the trade, but I'm kind of heartbroken. It's so bittersweet. Anyway...

xoxo