‹ Prequel: Dangerous Light
Sequel: My Somebody
Status: complete. be sure to subscribe to the sequel.

A Ship in Harbor is Safe

thirty-seven

Tanya says nothing after locking the door and sitting on the edge of the garden tub.

"Whatcha thinkin' about?"

The older blonde woman looks up from her hands, "just you and Jordan."

"What about us?"

"I just remember when I first met the two of you," Tanya smiles. "Do you remember that?"

"No," Athena smiles.

She smiles, "Eric and I were still in high school. You and Jordan must've been about eleven or twelve. We all hung out and ate dinner. I remember telling Eric, after we left, that he should've told me he had a sister."

Athena smiles, "you thought I was their sister?"

"You and Jordan were just inseparable. Eric was like 'no, that's just Jordan's best friend'. If you guys had been a year older, I would've assumed you were dating."

Athena smirks, shaking her head. "I doubt Jordan and I would ever work out."

"How do you know? You don't know until you try."

She shrugs. "We're best friends. We've known each other almost our entire lives."

"Eric and I are best friends and we're fine. That builds a stronger relationship."

Athena shrugs.

"Can I tell you a secret?" Tanya whispers. "And you can't tell anybody. You can't act like you know. I really shouldn't even be telling you this... it's not really my place, but I feel like you deserve to know."

Inhaling deeply, Athena feels her throat close up slightly.

"Jordan likes you," Tanya says the words slowly. "A lot."

Athena smiles but allows her expression to fall quickly, once again feeling a stinging sensation behind her sore eyes, "why are you telling me this, Tanya?"

"I think you deserve to know. So you can make an informed decision."

Athena shakes her head, unable to respond. She begins laughing quietly.

“Why are you laughing?” Tanya smirks.

The young woman shakes her head. “It’s just funny… I’ve asked Max, I’ve asked Jordan himself what his deal is. And they won’t tell me. And you just come strolling in here and tell me without me even having to ask.”

“Well, you deserve to know.”

Athena shakes her head again, “it doesn’t mean I want to.”

“I can tell that Eric upset you, okay? I know that Jordan probably doesn’t make things better. If you don’t want to, you don’t have to do anything about it.”

Wiping under her eyes with her fingers, Athena tilts her head back. “A part of me just wants to tell Jordan to just call Heather and tell her to catch the next flight here. He deserves to be happy, too.”

“Maybe he wasn’t happy with Heather?”

“The last time I saw them together, before she started getting belligerent, they were fine.” Athena crosses her arms, “you were there, and you saw it, too.”

Silence falls over the two again for a few minutes, while Tanya watches Athena wipe her face.

"Mom was telling me," Tanya speaks, resting her chin on her hand, "about when you and Jordan were six years old and wanted to play house. Eric told you guys that you had to get married first, so Jordan bought you a Ring Pop."

Athena nods, "I remember."

"Maybe he's always liked you." Tanya shrugs.

The younger woman shakes her head, "he didn't like me when I showed interest in him... ever."

Tanya's eyes widen slightly.

"We would hang out... he would be oblivious to my feelings. I would get a boyfriend and he'd get over protective and then he'd get a girlfriend when my boyfriend and I broke up." Athena looks up, "it's like… a cycle."

Tanya nods, "but Jordan's done a lot of growing up since then."

Athena shrugs. "I... I just don't know."

"Just... think about it?"

She shrugs, sliding off the counter.

Image


"You need another piece of pizza," Eric smirks, sliding one of his three slices onto Athena's empty plate.

She pouts, "I already had two."

"You need some meat on those bones," Eric says, taking a pull of his beer.

Athena leans back into the couch, "pst."

Jordan looks over in the middle of chewing.

"Has anyone ever told you that you eat like a Neanderthal?"

His eyebrows furrow but he smirks, "what'd you just call me?"

"Take this piece of pizza."

"I'll put itching powder in your underwear drawer if you take that pizza," Eric says.

"Eric!" Linda turns to her son.

Henry's amused face falls, “Eric.”

"Take the pizza, Jord. I can't eat anymore." Athena whispers.

Hesitantly, Jordan takes the slice of cheese pizza.

Athena leans back, resting both of her hands on her stomach.

"You goin' to the game tomorrow night?" Jordan asks over his shoulder.

She shrugs, "I guess..."

Jordan looks over his shoulder. "You guess?"

"If Sid wants me to go, I'll go." Athena’s frown turns into a smile as Parker climbs into her lap, resting his head on her shoulder. She slowly rubs the child’s back.

"Well, I want you to go." Jordan says.

Silence lingers over the two, while conversation on the couch with Eric, Tanya, Linda and Henry continues over the sound of the television.

"I can give you a ride. You probably won't wanna be at the arena all day."

Athena smiles, "sounds good."

Jordan nods and goes back to his pizza.

Image


"Hey," Sidney's eyes barely open when Athena crawls into the bed.

She smiles, "you fell asleep."

"Yeah. I got some work done and took a nap. I was watching Friends."

Athena smiles as she curls up next to Sidney on top of the blanket.

He lets her slide under his arm and use his shoulder as a pillow.

"So, you guys are playing Carolina tomorrow night." She speaks quietly, not moving from her comfortable spot.

Sidney nods, gently rubbing the cotton of Athena's tank top in between his fingers. "Yeah, I was gonna ask if you wanted to go."

"I'd love to," she smiles. "Henry and Linda offered to give me a ride. They're bringing Tanya, too."

Sidney nods, clearly dozing off again. "Sounds good."