‹ Prequel: Dangerous Light
Sequel: My Somebody
Status: complete. be sure to subscribe to the sequel.

A Ship in Harbor is Safe

forty-two

"Why the long face? You only worked two hours today, nothin' to be sad about," Cheryl smirks, leaning onto the counter.

Athena adjusts the strap of her large purse on her shoulder, crossing her arms and approaching the counter. "I have a lot on my mind."

"Wanna talk about it? Hell, it's the least I can do. You always listen to every problem I have."

"I thought that was part of my job description," Athena smirks.

Cheryl smiles, sitting on the tall stool. "Seriously, what's up?"

"My friend should be getting out of surgery within the next hour. I feel kind of like I'm abandoning him every time I leave him there."

Cheryl nods, "you're not abandoning him though. You're going back."

"And my boyfriend," Athena swallows heavily at the term, "he's not too happy that I haven't left my best friend's side. I can tell."

Cheryl shrugs, "you can't neglect your friends because you have a man in your life."

"See, that's the problem," Athena nods. "I grew up with my best friend. And his sister-in-law claims that he's always had feelings for me. I don't know... it's just one big--"

Cheryl nods, "clusterfuck?"

"Yeah," Athena nods. "And I just don't know what to do."

The older woman nods, tucking her light brown hair behind her ears, "you've gotta go with your gut."

"My gut is torn."

Cheryl smirks, "just the image I need after breakfast."

Athena smiles, "sorry."

"And neither of them are happy with your relationship with the other?"

Shaking her head, Athena rests her chin in her hand. "They used to be close friends. They haven't spoken in months."

Cheryl taps her nails on the counter. "Well, I wouldn't suggest trying to bring them together. That'll only cause a fight."

"You think they'd fight?"

"Honey, they're men. You're a pretty young thing... it'd get nasty."

Image


Athena puts the smile on her face as she walks into the hospital room.

"Athena," Jordan says quietly.

"Hey," she smiles, holding the vase of flowers on her hip. "I brought you something."

Jordan smiles, "thanks."

"How are you feeling?"

He blinks, "counting down the hours until tomorrow. I just wanna go home."

"Yeah, I understand," Athena sets the flowers down on the large windowsill. "You're not in pain, though?"

He shakes his head, "feel fine."

"Did you call your mom?"

Jordan nods, "she's happy to hear I'm okay. What are you smiling about?"

"You sound like you're wasted."

"I can't feel a thing," he scoffs. "I hate this."

She nods, "you'll be okay."

"You think so?"

"I know so," she smiles. Her smile falters, "I'm sorry that I wasn't here this morning, Jordan."

He shrugs, "it's fine. I was barely awake when they moved me. You talked to any of the guys?"

"I've talked to Sidney, although I'm sure you don't care to hear about that."

"You're right," he rolls his neck, "I don't."

"You can't fight with him forever, Jord--"

He cuts her off, "what about the other guys? Max? Geno? Flower?"

She shakes her head, "no, I haven't. I'll send Max a text, though and tell him that you're out."

Jordan watches as Athena sends the text and puts her phone back in her bag. “I can’t wait to go home.”

“Soon enough,” Athena smiles. “Hell, maybe they’ll let you go home tonight.”

“I can only hope,” he smiles, shaking his head.

Athena rests her head on her hand, lounging in the uncomfortable chair. “Take a nap, Jordan. You look exhausted.”
♠ ♠ ♠
It's short, I know.

Feedback is always appreciated, though.

xoxo