Status: Finished... Not All Relationships Last Forever.... Sorry To Dissapoint...

Meet Me on Thames St.

Where Were You?

What the hell am I thinking? I had no game plan. I didn’t even know where in Malibu, I was going. But I knew one thing Malibu Pier is my first guess.

I left the airport with my Jansport backpack and that’s it. I got into a taxi and headed to the pier I saw in the picture. I wore a grey tanktop, shorts, and a pair of flip flops. I sat in the sand just expecting Chase to appear out of thin air. The entire time I thought of all the things I wanted to say. How would I say it? Do I just come out and say ‘I love you.’ What about all the pain he caused me? I deserved a goodbye. I deserved someone to be there for me. But I still love him and don’t want him to leave without me again.

I spent practically the entire day at the beach, sitting and expecting him to com running down the beach and for me to jump in his arms but nothing. It was eight o’clock when I decided to cut my losses and head somewhere to drink away my troubles.

I went to the grill and bar that was a block away. I grabbed a seat at the bar. I learned when I turned 16, that if you’re a girl you generally don’t need ID. I just flip my long curly brown hair and bat my green eyes. It works all the time. Guys think they’ll get lucky.

The bartender around his early twenties came over. He was really cute.

“I’ll have a drink that will make me forget my stupidity.” I say

“Why don’t you look happy, princess?” he says fixing me a drink

“I thought coming out here would help me find what I’m missing. Now I’m not so sure. I spent like eight hours on the beach thinking some fairytale would happen but it’s not.”

“Maybe, you’re looking for stuff in all the wrong places. I’m Keith” he said passing me a frink

“I’m Ashley. But, hypothetically, what if you want something that’s always getting away before you could get it.”

“Maybe it doesn’t want to be found.”

“But what if it wants you to chase it?”

“Then, hypothetically speaking, it’s teasing you. It likes leading you on. If it really cared, they would be looking for you too.”

I drank my shot “You, my friend, should become a therapist.”

“Isn’t that what a bartender is? I have several medications.” He said pointing to the shelf of booze “looks like you’re gonna need another.”

I handed him the glass “So tell me, how I stop caring about him?”

“Ahh so it is a guy. Wanna tell me what happened?”

“Want the short version? He left me, still says he cares, but he never came looking for me.”
“He doesn’t deserve you then.” He says giving me a shot

“But, why do I still care for him?”

“When the other person is not around, you tend to make up their side of the conversation. So in your head, he still seems to care. In reality, he might not even care at all. Go to him, get the answers you need.”

“You’re too smart to be a bartender.” I observe while taking my shot

“I’m actually a college student, majoring in English. This is just for spending money.” He smiles

“Well I think you should change you’re major to psychology and become my personal psychiatrist.” I laugh

“How about I become a friend to call when you need to talk about him, and maybe a guy to call when you’re over him.” He says scribbling his number on a napkin

“Definitely.” I smile grabbing money to pay for my drinks and for tip

He stops me “It’s on the house.”

I smile and say goodbye.

The bar seemed to have gotten busy during my therapy session with Kieth. I shuffled through people trying to reach the door. I pushed the door open and accidentally stumbled into someone. I automatically apologized. Oh no! Tight black tee, dark black hair, icy blue eyes. This can’t be happening.

“Chase.”