Breakdown.

T H I R D.

The days went by slower after awhile. After I moved my things out of the house and into Kayla's spare bedroom of her condo, I shut down. My cell phone was completely shut off, keeping me away from the rest of the outside world. My laptop was dead since I hadn't bothered to charge it in over a week. I laid in bed, never moving or taking a shower or even changing my clothes.

I laid on the top of the full-sized mattress, my legs tangled in the hot pink comforter. My greasy hair was tied back into a lose, messy pony tail and while my eyes were focused on the T.V., I shoveled hand-fulls of popcorn into my mouth.

Bonez laid on the floor beside my bed. I tore my gaze away from the Real World and looked down at him.

He stared up at me with sad eyes. I wondered if he could tell how upset I was lately. Or maybe he just missed being at home. After all, he'd lived at that house since the day Dylan got him.

I sighed, pushing the few stray hair away from my face. As I turned back to the television, there was a soft knock on the door.

I groaned lowly, rolling my eyes. "Come in."

Kayla popped her head into the room. She looked so clean and awake. She was dressed for the day, he clothes smelling like detergent and perfume, and her hair was perfect, as well as her make-up.

"Bree?" She stepped further into the room. "How are you feeling today?"

I shrugged my shoulders weakly, continuing to watch my show. "Fine."

"That's good..." She trailed off, fiddling with her hands behind her back. "So, um... Dylan called me."

She caught my attention again. I turned my head towards her, not trying to seem so eager. "Oh?"

"Yeah." She nodded. "He's really worried, Bree. You aren't answering your phone-"

I cut her off. "You didn't tell him anything, did you?"

"No." She shook her head. "He still isn't aware that you've even moved out. He's called me everyday since you stopped accepting his calls."

Again, I simply shrugged, and turned away. A few minutes passed before I suddenly felt the bed shift. Kayla sat beside me on the messy bed.

"Bree," She began, her voice much softer than usual. "You need to talk to him. At least tell him that you moved out and about... y'know. You were with him for a long time. He deserves to at least know that."

I shoved a hand-full of popcorn into my mouth in response.

She sighed and stood up. On her way out, she called for Bonez, leaving me all alone.

My eyes roamed to the bedside table where my cell phone sat. Kayla was right. I should call him. But I was a coward. And I wasn't sure if I had the strength to.

My heart was pounding louder than usual as I slowly reached my hand out towards the phone. Reluctantly, I grabbed it and pressed the power button. I scrolled over the contacts even though I already knew Dylan's number by heart. My notifications said that I had nine new voice mails, but I didn't want to check them quite yet.

My thumb lingered over the 'talk' button once I had reached his name. I didn't know what I should say to him even though Kayla had said it so bluntly.

I pressed the button and waited. Ring after ring, I was becoming closer and closer to having a panic attack.

And after the fifth ring, "Hello? Bree?"

He sounded panicked, which only made me feel more horrible.

I shut my eyes briefly, inhaling a deep breath. "Dylan?"

"Why the fuck have you been ignoring my calls?" He ranted.

Now he was angry. Pissed, probably, but I really couldn't blame him.

"Dylan... I need to tell you something." I decided to ignore his first question.

His tone changed. He sounded scared or even concerned. "What is it? You didn't fucking cheat on me, did you?"

I rolled my eyes. "No, I didn't cheat on you. I just-"

"You what?" He asked impatiently.

I rubbed my forehead, shutting my eyes tightly. "Dylan, I... I had a, um... I had a miscarriage."

Silence. The only thing I could hear was the rapid pounding of my heart,

"What?" His voice was soft and low. It nearly broke my heart even more, if that was possible. "Baby, I'm so sorr-"

"No!" I cut him off, feeling the hot tears beginning to trail down my cheeks. "No, I just... I just can't be with you anymore. It's too hard. I'm... I'm sorry."

I couldn't find anymore words. I flipped my phone shit and tossed it to the edge of the bed, burying my face into the closest pillow.
♠ ♠ ♠
Check out these stories: Young & Scars by waking the buried.