Status: Active

Avenged Sevenfold's Best Kept Secret

Chapter Five

I spent about an hour at the beach again, luckily no bumping into Chase or Max again. I was just about to enter my street but my phone beeped signaling that I had a text.

“Go get us some more hot dog buns please. Jimmy and Leana are here already and Jimmy is being Jimmy… the ones we have are ruined, Love Mom.”

I sighed and shook my head at the text. Usually I’d just laugh and text something funny back but today I just wasn’t feeling so great.

“Come on guys, we need to go to the store, Uncle Jimmy messed up.”

I turned them around and we started walking towards the corner store a few blocks away. Tying the dogs up safely outside I went in, accepting the merciful air conditioning after being outside for so long.

“Ah, Haley, it’s nice to see you. How are you doing?” Gregg, the owner, asked me.

You see, me and Gregg go way back. He owned the store back when my Dad was a kid, meaning he was the one in charge every time Dad, Jimmy, Matt or Brian stole a case of beer. He laughs about it now whenever we talk about it but I’m pretty sure he wasn’t back then.

“I’m okay… ish, today Gregg. What about you?”
“I’m good, what’s wrong?”
“Mom and Dad arguing again.”
“Ah, last summer still going on?”

It had been in this very store when the biggest argument that almost tore us apart happened. I turned and looked at Gregg with wide eyes.

“Oh God! I seriously hope not! If it is that then… well, they’ve both calmed down now but… I think it’s something else. Hey where are your hot dog buns?”
“Okay then, I hope so too. Oh, they’re over here. Your Mom came in yesterday and bought a load, those not enough or did something happen to them?”
“Jimmy happened to them. That’s all I do and want to know.”

He laughed and then grabbed a load while handing me three bags.

“This is how much your Mom got yesterday.”
“Cool.”
“Okay, that’ll be fifteen seventy-five.”
“Here you go.”
“Thank you.”

I handed him the money and held up my hand while I went out to check on the dogs. I rushed back into the shop though when I saw who was standing giving them attention.

“You okay Haley?”
“Crap! There are a couple of guys outside that know me, I don’t wanna see…”
“Haley! Thought we’d find you in here, your dogs are outside right?”
“..them. Um, hi Chase, yeah they’re mine.”
“Here’s your change Hales. Do you need help getting these back to your house?” Gregg asked, blanking the two guys.”
“Um, no, I’ll be alright, thanks though Gregg. Hey are you coming to the party next weekend?”
“I might do, my daughter’s coming over for the weekend though so…”
“Okay, that’s cool. See you later Gregg”
“Bye Haley.”

I picked up all five bags and then walked out of the store without so much as glancing back at Chase and Max. Untying the dogs I started off back home.

“Hey, wait up! Let us take a couple of bags off you and help you carry them back.”
“I’d really rather… okay then.” I backtracked as the bags were taken out of my hand and I looked to see Chase grinning at me.
“Look Chase, I don’t know who you think I am but I’ve got a boyfriend. Just be clear on that.”
“Oh, okay, that’s cool. So how do you know the guy in there?”
“He owned the place back when my parents were kids.”
“Oh wow, cool.”
“Look, I can take those bags, I’d really rather you didn’t come back to my house with me.”
“Why not? We’re not creeps. We’re just trying to be nice.”
“Yeah, well I’m trying to clear my mind of every problem on my plate at the moment, you’re not exactly helping.”
“Oh.”

He looked hurt but I didn’t really care at that point, I just wanted them gone. They didn’t need to know who my parents were.

“Okay then, here. Here are your bags. See you later.” He now seemed just a little bit pissed off. Ah well.

I shook my head and carried on walking back to the house.

“Oh Icky, Majesty, what’s happening to us lately?”

I knocked twice and Dad let me in looking worn out and sad. I didn’t ask, I didn’t want to know. If this family was falling apart at the seams, the old saying that ignorance is bliss could turn out very true for me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Listening to: It's Warmer In The Basement - Cobra Starship