A Beautiful Mistake

Chapter One.

Brooklyn Carlyle stared at herself in the mirror.

In the matter of moments, everything in her life had gone from perfect to shattered to pieces. Taking in a deep breath, she tried her hardest not to cry. This wasn't happening. This couldn't be happening.

But as she looked back down at the pregnancy test she held in her hands, she knew with every piece of her heart that the results were true.

At just fifteen years old, the high school sophomore was pregnant. The weight of the information that this tiny stick just revealed to her was overwhelming. She couldn't even smoke yet, and she was pregnant.

Holy shit.

The door of the bathroom suddenly opened, and she shoved the pregnancy test into her bag and faked like she was fixing her already perfect make up. It was just her friend, Alex, though who smiled at her when she saw who it was. Alex's happy expression quickly turned into a frown, though.

“What's wrong?” Alex asked Brooklyn.

And although Brooklyn felt like she was going to puke, she turned her vacant, scared expression into a very convincing, very fake smile.

“Another fight with my parents,” Brooklyn said, and Alex brushed it off.

Brooklyn and her parents didn't really fight. In fact, they didn't talk much at all. Her mother, a popular Malibu socialite was too wrapped up in cock tail parties and mani-pedi's with her friends than what was happening in her daughters life. And her father, a mogul in the jewelry business, was too busy with his work.

But she didn't mind; Brooklyn liked her alone time.

She'd probably go crazy if she had the ultra nosy parents that Alex and most of her class had. She was allowed to do whatever she wanted, whenever she wanted. As they walked out of the bathroom on their way to fifth period, Brooklyn realized something.

Maybe that was part of the problem. Her parents let her do whatever she wanted, with out ever showing her that there were consequences for her actions. So, it was rare that she thought twice about doing something.

Two and a half months ago, on the weekend before school started, she went to visit her very wealthy aunt in Austin, Texas. She went to a random party with her aunt's next door neighbor – a girl about her age – met a guy she thought was sexy, and had sex with him.

Brooklyn had brushed it off.

He was only the second guy she'd ever slept with. It wasn't like she was a slut or anything. She didn't worry about becoming pregnant or anything because again, her parents never taught her there were consequences for behaviors like this.

And now this.

“Miss Carlyle?”

The teacher of her fifth period math class barked out her name. Brooklyn was sitting all the way at the back, her head in her hands as she tried to let this information sink in. She looked up.

“This is the third time this week you haven't been paying attention,” He growled.

“So,” She shrugged.

“Escort yourself to the principals office, Miss Carlyle. Now.”

Brooklyn rolled her eyes, not caring about tenth grade math and certainly not caring about the fucking principals office. She stood up, bending down and pulling her bag onto her shoulder.

“Whatever,” She huffed, storming out of the class.

While Brooklyn had great grades – a 3.5 GPA, she was also notorious for not having the best attitude with authority. Her parents never told her what to do, so when someone tried to the outcome wasn't good.

“I'll be calling down there in five minutes to make sure you're down there!” He called after her.

“I don't care!” She called over her shoulder.

She stalked down the hallway to her locker, where she roughly shoved her bag, grabbed her purse and slammed it shut. Instead of going to the principals office where Mr. Asshole had commanded she go, she walked right out the front door of Carthage High School.

Brooklyn found her way through the student parking lot to her black on black Hummer H3. She climbed in and angrily shoved the keys in the keyhole. She needed to get home. She needed to get away.

From reality.

She pulled out of the schools parking lot, not caring that she was going to get detention for ditching again. She was having a baby. Could they even give her detention anymore?

She rushed through the traffic of Malibu, not bothering to pay attention to the speed limit signs posted. It's not like she was going to get pulled over. She was young and cute, so if she did, she could get the officer to let her off with a 'warning'.

She'd had several of them since getting her licensee on her fifteenth birthday.

But no tickets.

She pulled into garage of her home, grabbed her purse and got out. She slammed the door harder than she needed to and stormed inside.

She needed to tell her parents about this, and she needed to hurry.

If Brooklyn didn't her tell her parents now while she herself was still shocked, she would be to overwhelmed with fear about her future, and her child's future to tell anybody, let alone her not so warm parents.

She stopped in the living room, listening for any sign of life in the house.

After a second of careful attention, she heard noise coming from the upstairs office that her dad worked in when he wasn't at his regular work office.

She took a long, deep breath and walked upstairs.

Brooklyn needed to do it now before she lost her courage.

She pushed the door of the office open, to find her father, sitting in his office chair speaking business and her mother sitting on the desk pretending to know what he was talking about. When she opened the door, they both looked at her in surprise.

Brooklyn had to get it out now.

“I'm pregnant!”

The words came out louder than she expected them to. But before the information she had relayed could sink in, Brooklyn walked away.

She went down the hallway, to her room. It was only in there, behind closed doors that Brooklyn broke down and cried harder than she ever had.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you enjoy!