Status: Completed!

A Lifetime to Struggle

Father & Son.

“You and Harmony huh?” My dad asked as we watched the two girls walk out of the room.
“Yup.” I nodded, wanting Harm to come back.
“And how is that working for you?” He asked, like he almost expected it to be wrong.
“Quite well actually.” I replied.
“Oh yeah?” He inquired. “How did the boys react?”
I shrugged. “It’s different. They got used to it pretty fast.” I kept my answers short and simple. This didn’t have to become a giant speech, and proving my love for Harmony.
“And Matt?” he asked. He already knew. As soon as the words left his mouth, he knew how it went down. Matt has always kicked my ass for fun, but now that something was effecting the most important person to him, he was there to kick my ass for almost anything.
“Ended well. Nicely broken ribs, a sore head for a while.” I explained. I avoided the eye contact with him, feeling like this conversation wasn’t going anywhere.
“Sounds like Matt.” The room seemed to become a whole lot more quiet than it already was. Was this really happening? Was he not approving?
“I would kick your ass too, if I found out you were dating my sister.” He stated, after letting the silence drive me insane. I looked up at him, and gave him a puzzled look.
“Well, you are my son. I know what I was like back when I was dating girls, and trust me when I say; I wasn’t the best boyfriend ever. I was when I knew it was a good girl, but not always.” He explained. “It starts out nice, but things will get bumpy.”
“What are you implying?” I asked.
“I’m saying, I don’t want you to rush into something you may or may not be ready for. Dating your best friend might seem easy, but there will be things that will drive you insane. It’s just like any other relationship. Everything does change, while things stay the same. You’ll start to notice things you never did before. Some will piss you off, some will make you laugh.”
Although I got a hint of what he was saying, I couldn’t find it in me to fully understand. Was he approving, or not?
“What I’m saying is,” He said. “Is that I want you to make sure you’re ready for a change like this. Love is dedication, Brian. A lot of your time, money, mind and heart have to go into this to make it work. Since Harmony knows you so well, she has high expectations of you. You can’t let her down like that. Just because she’s your best friend doesn’t mean you can slack off. Hell, you need to work more.”
I nodded, finally understanding what he was getting at. “Dad,” I said smiling. “I know. Maybe not as well as you, but you didn’t raise a fool. I love Harmony, like you wouldn’t believe.” I started. “I’m willing to do anything for her. Letting her down will crush not only her, but me as well. As long as she’s happy, then so am I.”
He nodded his head and smiled at me. His approval was given; No words were needed. I didn’t doubt that he would approve, but everyone’s got to have that feeling of disapproval, no matter how old you are.
“She’s like family to us Brian, you know that.” He said. I nodded. “So you’d better take care of her.”
“I will.” I promised. The both of us stood up, giving each other a quick hug before joining the girls in the kitchen.
“Hey beautiful,” I said to Harmony, hugging her from behind. I wanted to spread my happiness to her, a silent way of showing her the approval of my parents.
“Hello,” She half laughed, and continued to stir the red stuff in the pot. “Someone’s very happy.”
“More than you know.” I whispered in her ear. I quickly pecked her cheek, turning to around to see a smiling couple of parents. I chose to bite my tongue and not question them, but to ask when dinner was going to be ready.
“Soon, you fat pig.” Harmony replied laughing.
“Can’t blame a guy for being hungry.” I said, patting my growling stomach.
“Agreed!” My dad laughed.
“Oh stop it you two,” Suzy said. “She needs to learn how to cook this properly for when she becomes a wife one day.”
“Yeah, Brian’s gonna need it. He can’t cook, even to save his life.” Everyone laughed, including me. Usually I would frown at my dad, claiming I can cook, but my mind was wondering off. Imagining Harmony as my wife... Sharing our own home together, our own everything, and promising to be with each other until the end. She’d make the perfect wife.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry my updating times are becoming shit :( Hopefully after exam week, things go back to routine.
Commmmment! I miss reading your thoughts. (: