Sequel: We Found Love
Status: Complete

She Makes Me Wanna

Chapter One-My Sanity is in the Passenger Seat

*Sidney*

I was sprawled out on Tanger’s extremely comfortable grey suede couch when a pillow was beamed directly at my head. I had been dozing off, so I bolted upright, my eyes growing wide.

“Wuzzat?” I asked, blinking rapidly. The guys cracked up, and then Gronk pointed at the plasma screen in front of the couch. I turned to see that they had been watching ESPN Sportscenter, and I raised my eyebrows.

“And now we’re going to send it over to Minnesota, where Stephen Page is reporting from today. Stephen?” the anchor said, and then the screen flicked over to Stephen Page. He was standing in the Minnesota Wild’s arena, with an extremely beautiful woman standing beside him.

“Thanks Monica. I’m here at the site of the 2012 NHL Draft with Emily Vance. Emily, you’re the first woman in NHL history to go up for the draft. Are you excited about tomorrow?” Stephen asked. I felt my jaw drop.

“Did he just say…?” I began.

“Woman in the NHL Draft? I think so,” Tanger finished, gaping at the TV as well. I turned to Evgeni and Marc-Andre, who looked equally as shocked. Jordan was the only one who wasn’t shocked, and he had a smirk plastered to his face.

“You guys seriously didn’t pay any attention to the draft reports for the past few weeks? They’re our potential future teammates…I figured you’d be interested,” Jordan laughed.

“Shut up Jordan. Wait, is this chick legit?” I asked. Jordan just rolled his eyes and pointed to the TV.

“Now we just so happened to have gotten our hands on a fantastic highlight video Emily. Do you mind if we show it?” Stephen said, turning the microphone over to the young woman.

“Go right ahead!” she beamed. What I saw next completely blew my mind.

“Look. If you had one shot…one opportunity to seize everything you ever wanted in one moment, would you capture it or just let it slip?” The heavy beats of Lose Yourself thudded through the TV speakers as a video of a very fierce looking young woman in hockey gear skated by the camera, picking up the puck and dodging between three members of the opposite team before dumping it in the net. Goal after incredible goal flashed before my eyes, and then came a fight clip. Emily grabbed a guy who must have been a foot taller than her and double her weight, and dumped him to the ice. While fight clips were usually left out of highlight videos, I felt my jaw drop in amazement.

“I think we found you your girl Sidney,” Kris said quietly.

Please be on the Penguins,” I muttered, the young woman’s gorgeous laugh echoing in my head.

*The 2012 NHL Draft, Minnesota*
*Emily*

I sat in the stands, fear and anxiety causing my stomach to clench uncomfortably. The first round of the draft was about to begin, and I started to toy with the small silver cross I wore around my neck. This is it Emily…the one chance to prove to all of those people who told you that a woman would never play professional hockey…let’s just hope they were wrong. I thought, staring at the large draft board. Edmonton had earned the first round pick once more, which didn’t exactly surprise me, and I knew that they were probably going to go for a big name defenseman this year. The New York Islanders were next, and they desperately needed a scorer, which worked in my favor. However, my eyes continued to skim the board until they found the two teams placed at 16 and 17 on the list. Pittsburg and New Jersey glared at me, and yearning began to boil in my chest along with the anxiety. I had been a New Jersey fan my entire life, but Pittsburgh was also a fantastic option and my second choice to New Jersey. However, I didn’t think that there was a chance in hell that I would go to either of those teams, let alone in the first round. My attention snapped to the podium at the center of the makeshift stage under the draft board however as the microphone squealed and Gary Bettman cleared his throat.

“Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft,” he smiled, which drew a cheer from the crowd of hockey fans filling the seats of the stadium. I clapped politely along with the other draft picks, and took a shaky breath.

The first fifteen picks went as expected, with the teams greedily gobbling up the best players in each section that they felt was lacking on their team. It wasn’t until Ray Shero stood up that I felt the most severe wave of nausea overcome me. My mom clutched my hand nervously, knowing that Pittsburgh was one of my two dream teams.

“For the twenty-twelve entry draft the Pittsburgh Penguins select, from Princeton, New Jersey, number thirty-six, Emily Vance,” he said, looking straight at me. My jaw dropped, and I stared at my mom, not believing what had just happened.

“Emily…they called your name. Go!” she hissed, pushing me up out of my seat. I bit back tears and shakily made my way to the stage. I shook hands with Ray, who then handed me a Penguins jersey. I pulled it on over my gray dress suit and as I looked at the black and gold sleeves, a smile spread over my face.

“That jersey looks good on you…welcome to the team kid,” Ray smiled as we shook hands for a photograph.

I was going to the NHL.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sidney is shocked with the draft options, while Emily's dreams come true.