Come Back to Me It's Almost Easy

III

Image

I found my brother in the crowd of peoplenot that it was hard since he was a hundred feet tall, and Leana hugged me tightly.

"You're looking good!"

"You too! How are you and Jimmy?"

"Oh, we're wonderful! Jimmy, baby, we're going to get a drink."

"Alright."

I knew then that Jimmy loved Leana. It scared me. If my older brother married, he would never come to our house to stay after tours.

"Okay. What's going on between you and Brian?"

"Uh, nothing."

"Liar! I saw that whole exchange out there on the dance floor."

"Uh, Lee? We do that all the time."

"That didn't look like pretend."

"Well, it was ,so drop it.

"Fine. Can I say one thing before we drop this subject?"

"Sure," I sighed, "why not?"

She announced in a sing-song voice. "You love Brian!"

That's why not. "Do not."

"Hey, we're dropping it."

"Bitch."

"Thanks," she said to the bartender before turning and walking back to Jimmy.

I sighed and headed to the bathroom. Michelle was in there, fixing her makeup; she glanced at me.

"Dami, can I talk to you?"

"What?"

"I'm sorry."

"What?"

I'm sorry. I was a bitch when I had no right to be."

"True."

She glared. "Please."

"Sorry."

"Listen. I wanna make it up to you."

"Apologising ain't working."

"No. I'll talk to Brian for you. I mean, it's obvious you love him. So I'll see if he likes you, then I'll try to set you two up."

"Fine."

She grinned and left the bathroom. I did my business, making sure to not leave my beer out of my sight. Finally, we all headed to our cars, thesemi sober ones driving. Brian sat in the passenger seat, staring out the windows.

"Synny-face, what's wrong?"

"Nothing." He was drunk, but that still didn't excuse his next few statements: "Michelle told me what you said to her in the bathroom."

Wait for it...

"What'd I say?"

Wait for it... "That she was a bitch, and that there was no way in Hell she'd ever get me."

"I never said that."

And...now "Dami, please. Like that's true. I can't trust what you say because you hate Michi. Just admit it."

"Michi? Seriously, Brian. You've gotta be fucking kidding me."

"I'm dead serious."